A 197

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

A 197

Post by Col_Fury »

CA 250 is currently during A 197 for Iron Man and Vision, but it’s after A 197 for Beast, Cap, Jarvis and Wasp. The recent Avengers Index says it’s after, not during, so:

IRON MAN/ANTHONY EDWARD "TONY" STARK

A 197
CA 250
**A 197 (delete)
A 198

VISION II/"VICTOR SHADE"

A 197
CA 250
**A 197 (delete)
A 198
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: A 197

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I think Ward's Avengers Index suggested the placement of CA 250 during A 197. May be worth another look into references about the passage of time during A 197 (which appears to occur during one day) and during CA 250 (which appears to be two days). Can a gap be placed between A 197 and 198 for CA 250?
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Hmn.

Why did the recent Index place CA 250 after A 197? Beast and Wonder Man start their double date at the end of A 197, and they’re leaving it at the start of A 198. There shouldn’t be a gap for Beast to appear in other comics between A 197-198 (Beast appears in CA 250).

There could be a gap between A 197 pages 7-8. Cap mentions that he’ll bring up Jocasta being a full time Avenger at their next meeting on page 6, and does so at the meeting on page 11. The meeting could have been later that day, or it could have been later in the week. However, Beast sets up his and Wonder Man’s double date before the gap on page 4. He could have set it up for later that night, or for later in the week.

The thing is, though, it’s not like A 196 ends on a cliffhanger that A 197 picks up on. Aside from narration boxes, the Taskmaster adventure in A 196 is barely relevant to A 197 (aside from Jocasta helping the Avengers, but that’s only the latest example of her helping). I find it more comfortable for time to pass between A 196-197 instead of during A 197.

Thoughts?
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I originally caught that statement from Cap about Jocasta's membership, but then I noticed that the meeting on page 11 was explicitly referred to earlier in the issue as a debriefing meeting happening that same day, not the regular meeting noted by Cap. And that debriefing (which included non-Avenger Ant-Man) was to discuss the adventure from the previous issue. The story as written was that Ant-Man hung around for the debriefing. I suppose we could rework it so that Ant-Man was invited back for a debriefing after a couple of days had passed. Any trouble with the Ms. Marvel/Scarlet Witch scene by putting a gap between A 196 and 197?
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Any trouble with the Ms. Marvel/Scarlet Witch scene by putting a gap between A 196 and 197?
Not that I can see. Scarlet Witch hadn't been appearing regularly at the time (she was last in A 192 before A 197, if you don't count ALIAS 26-FB, which is placed before A 194 anyway), and tells Ms. Marvel that she was preparing to return to the Avengers when Ms. Marvel arrived. It's not like the conversation in A 197 is continued from a conversation in A 196; the entire conversation starts and ends when Ms. Marvel shows up, and then collapses.
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

It sounds like there's less of a problem with placing CA 250 between A 196 and 197 than with inserting CA 250 within A 197 or placing it between A 197 and 198.

Cap calls the Avengers and Ant-Man for a debriefing a few days after the conclusion of A 196 and right after his consideration to run for president in CA 250. The heroes arrive at Avengers Mansion at the same time and they all use the pesky elevator.

This goes against all previous Indexes, so let's get some feedback here.
Paul B.