and then… CONAN

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

and then… CONAN

Post by Col_Fury »

This caught me completely by surprise.

What's next? GI Joe? ROM? Micronauts? Godzilla?
-Daron Jensen
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: and then… CONAN

Post by ShadZ »

This surprises me too, as Marvel has generally been out of the business of publishing licensed comics for a while now (Star Wars and Disney don't count, given the corporate relationships).

ShadZ
ShadZ
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

I'm surprised too, although the thing about Conan randomly appearing in the 2018 calendar should have been a clue, I suppose. [Yes, the calendar reused the art from the 1975 calendar - barring some slight edits for things like dates - but there was proper copyright attribution for Conan, it wasn't an oversight]
ShadZ wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:52 pm This surprises me too, as Marvel has generally been out of the business of publishing licensed comics for a while now (Star Wars and Disney don't count, given the corporate relationships).
Indeed - even most of the Disney stuff that was "given" to Marvel as licences expired has since been licensed back out again. Hell, even Star Wars has the kids comic rights licensed out to IDW! Apart from SW, the only things I recall Marvel making a thing of in the last decade or so are Dark Tower and Anita Blake.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Well, Star Wars has been a sales juggernaut for Marvel. It shouldn't be a surprise that they may be expanding this part of their business. And yet, I'm still surprised. :lol:

I wonder if they'll tie this to the old Marvel Conan continuity, or just have a fresh start and stick it in its own universe? OR, have a fresh start and later tie it into Marvel's history, creating continuity problems?

One of these days I intend to start reading those old Marvel Conans…
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

With Disney acquiring Fox properties, are Buffy and Angel far behind?
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Col_Fury wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:25 pm This caught me completely by surprise.

I'm just going to leave this here.
lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by lettsmonster »

It's things like this that keep my hope alive for that John Carter/Gullivar Jones one-shot I just know is coming! :yepp:
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

lettsmonster wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:15 am It's things like this that keep my hope alive for that John Carter/Gullivar Jones one-shot I just know is coming! :yepp:
Already happened, just not at Marvel.

lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by lettsmonster »

Thanks. Loki. Didn't know about that one!
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

lettsmonster wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:29 am Thanks. Loki. Didn't know about that one!
"Those two" - separate stories. The first is from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series 2, in which Gullivar and Carter join forces to drive a hostile Martian species off Mars, unintentionally triggering H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds. The second is a completely unrelated series by IDW where the two heroes meet.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Ironically no. For Transformers, GI Joe, Micronauts and Rom, as well as MASK, Action Man, Visionaries and Jem are now being published in the shared "Hasbro Universe" line. I would suggest to check out the Hasbro Heroes Sourcebook #1-3.
MarvelBoy2002
Henchman
Henchman

Post by MarvelBoy2002 »

Great news! Hope they'll take back Red Sonja too.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I'm hoping not only are the new Marvel Conan stories 616, but that they also incorporate the various Dark Horse stories as in-continuity, too. :twisted:
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:23 pm I wonder if they'll tie this to the old Marvel Conan continuity, or just have a fresh start and stick it in its own universe? OR, have a fresh start and later tie it into Marvel's history, creating continuity problems?
I think the answer to this is going to be defined by one simple question: How interested are they in re-adapting the Robert E. Howard stories that were already done "first time around"? If they don't do so, the odds on them fitting together if you squint a bit are reasonably high, if not certain. Otherwise, nah - I certainly do NOT expect any explicit statements to the effect that Conan is the past of the "real" Marvel Universe. A statement of the opposite is more likely.

Putting Thor & Wolverine in one of their very first pieces of promo art is also interesting, of course - doubly so since Thor hasn't looked like that (with two normal arms, yet!) for a while and Wolverine's just back. Does that mean they intend to launch with a Conan vs. the Marvel Universe-type crossover? [No, this would not automatically mean that Conan was the "real" past of the MU!] Creatively, that would seem like a mistake to me, whether or not it would work out commercially.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Russ Chappell wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm With Disney acquiring Fox properties, are Buffy and Angel far behind?
ahem...
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe