M/GN 7

Chronology issues surrounding the non-Marvel Universes/Timelines.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

M/GN 7

Post by Col_Fury »

M/GN 7 reveals M'Shulla's full name is M'Shulla Scott, and that his gladiator name is Bloodarrow.

M/GN 7 also reveals that Old Skull's gladiator name is Bald Eagle.

At the very least, we should add Scott to M'Shulla's entry, but should it be

M'SHULLA/M'SHULLA SCOTT

or

SCOTT, M'SHULLA

?

I'm leaning toward the first one, similar to how we list Meggan (from Captain Britain & Excalibur). No one's going to look on the P page for Meggan, and I don't think anyone would look in the S's for M'Shulla, you know?

As for the gladiator names, they're never called "Bloodarrow" or "Bald Eagle" throughout the Amazing Adventures issues, so they should probably just be redirects (a side note: "Old Skull" is not his real name; that's just a nick name Killraven gave him. As far as I've been able to tell, we never find out what his real name is). So:

BALD EAGLE
See Old Skull

BLOODARROW/M'SHULLA SCOTT
See M'Shulla

Also, oddly, there's a flashback to JFK's assassination. Both John and Jackie (well, her silhouette) are seen, but his assassin's not (he'd be -BTS). Depending on when Killraven's world diverged from the main Marvel Universe*, this would go either on the regular pages or the Killraven page. If it's the regular pages, this is after JFK's -BTS appearance in UX 2, this is Jackie's only appearance, and it really doesn't matter for the assassin as the Wolverine Index explains in the entry for Wolverine v2 #49.

*M/TIO 69 makes it pretty clear that it intends to be the divergence point between 616 and 691, so anything that happens before M/TIO 69 happens in both 616 and 691 (and this is repeated in editorial captions in almost every issue of GOTG). However, in the Killraven history, there was a Martian invasion in Engalnd in 1901, and there's an argument that since this first Martian invasion is not referenced in Marvel Universe stories, then 616 and 691 diverged in 1901, so anything that happens after 1901 is either in 616 or 691 (the handbooks are unclear on this point).

The way I see it is, the French and Indian War (or the Seven Years' War, if you prefer) happened in the Marvel Universe (just like every other historic real world event), right? How often is the French and Indian War referenced in Marvel Universe stories? Just as often as the Martian invasion in 1901 is? Oh, OK then.

Just sayin'.
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: M/GN 7

Post by Col_Fury »

And hey, would you look at that?

The Original Sin Annual reveals/clarifies/whatever that there was a Martian Invasion on Earth-616. I don't see a date, but it's pre-WWI.

Who'da thought?
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Col_Fury wrote:And hey, would you look at that?

The Original Sin Annual reveals/clarifies/whatever that there was a Martian Invasion on Earth-616. I don't see a date, but it's pre-WWI.

Who'da thought?
James Robinson was doing a Martians storyline in All-New Invaders before it was cancelled. In issue #10, set in the present, Spitfire, the Mighty Destroyer (Roger Aubrey) and Union Jack (Joseph Chapman) faced a giant tripod walking across London. A flashback in issue #12 reveals that the tripod had disappeared when the trio had barely begun to attack. The rest of the story has them reading from Lord Falsworth's journal about a Martian attack that took place in London in
October of 1917. Freedom's Five opposed them and, with help from a mysterious group of men with Martian-like hi-tech weaponry, destroyed some tripods and caused the others to retreat/disappear. The 1917 heroes recall hearing about an attack by invaders from Mars that had taken place "about a decade ago" but had been hushed up by the government to stem international panic. Then, after the trio has reached the end of the journal, the Winter Soldier shows up with Jonathan Raven, newly-freed from a padded cell.

Update: I dug out my copy of that annual and found the reference to Martians in an entry from Woodrow McCord's journal on page 11. It reads, "The Men on the Wall" earned their stripes against the Martians back in '13.

However, there's a problem. In his journal, McCord then wonders why H.G. Wells left them (the Men on the Wall) out of his books. This is puzzling since The War of the Worlds was first published in 1897, well before 1913. So, either the writer of the annual made a mistake or the H.G. Wells of Earth-616 wrote The War of the Worlds over a decade later than he did in the real world.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I have GOT to get caught up on reading All-New Invaders.

Thanks, Don! :mrgreen:
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Just got caught up on All-New Invaders. Really good stuff, but I'm a sucker for these characters.

As for H.G. Wells, I'll just say the writer made a goof. *shrug*
-Daron Jensen