Mini-Marvels publication

Chronology issues surrounding the non-Marvel Universes/Timelines.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Mini-Marvels publication

Post by Somebody »

Yes Fury, I *am* doing this ;). And, seriously, they mostly work as a chronology - the only major thing to deal with is Clor, who's in the Civil War parody and Thor #600 backup, where Thor-proper can't appear between (except by reordering to minimise that gap), and a Bullpen Bits strip (#60) with human-Beast that's out of order (before #46-47). [The Mini-Marvels Wolverine, Angel & Colossus appearance in the MU during X-Men Unlimited #37 occurs before Bullpen Bits #52, BTW, owing to Wolverine's costume.]

Problem I'm coming up against is finding where all the damn things originally saw print! The Bullpen Bits strips I'm not even trying, I'm just listing those by their numbers (which are on the strips themselves, fulfilling the "If you have the comic..." criterion), since it would mean a horrendous list of =s for each one and obfuscate more than elucidate. The Power Pack backups also saw print all over the place, but the Power Pack printings are the most coherent and where they were apparently commissioned for.

The biggest problem ones for "where did they see print first" are these six:

MAdvSM 14=MAdvFF 11="The Black Cat": Jun 2006
MAdvSM 16 = "The Itch": Aug 2006
MAdvSM 20 "The French Bread": Dec 2006
MAdvSM 22 "Giant Girl": Feb 2007
X:FC 5/2=HFH3 6/2 = MAdvAvengers 4 = "The Couch": Mar 2007
X:FC 6/2 "The Snowman": Apr 2007

Which (a) almost certainly isn't a complete list for ANY of them and (b) I don't know which issues to = and which to ignore. Any aid?

And the other one is pages 13-16 of "Hawkeye and the Beanstalk". (1-4) were in Wolverine & Power Pack #1 and (5-8) in #2... but it was bumped out of #3 to make room for an Oz preview, and only (9-12) were in issue 4. (13-16) exist, they're in the TPBs... but I don't know where the original printing was to list it.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mini-Marvels publication

Post by Col_Fury »

Somebody wrote:Yes Fury, I *am* doing this ;).
I love it! :mrgreen:
Somebody wrote:The Mini-Marvels Wolverine, Angel & Colossus appearance in the MU during X-Men Unlimited #37 occurs before Bullpen Bits #52, BTW, owing to Wolverine's costume.
Sweet.
Somebody wrote:Problem I'm coming up against is finding where all the damn things originally saw print! The Bullpen Bits strips I'm not even trying, I'm just listing those by their numbers (which are on the strips themselves, fulfilling the "If you have the comic..." criterion), since it would mean a horrendous list of =s for each one and obfuscate more than elucidate. The Power Pack backups also saw print all over the place, but the Power Pack printings are the most coherent and where they were apparently commissioned for.
I agree, AND there's precedent in the MCP for it. We have the Spider-Man/Jay Leno strips that ran across several titles under it's own abbreviation, so why not these?
Somebody wrote:The biggest problem ones for "where did they see print first" are these six:

Which (a) almost certainly isn't a complete list for ANY of them and (b) I don't know which issues to = and which to ignore. Any aid?

And the other one is pages 13-16 of "Hawkeye and the Beanstalk". (1-4) were in Wolverine & Power Pack #1 and (5-8) in #2... but it was bumped out of #3 to make room for an Oz preview, and only (9-12) were in issue 4. (13-16) exist, they're in the TPBs... but I don't know where the original printing was to list it.
I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Mike's Amazing World of Comics can list comics by when they hit the shelves, so that can be a good starting point. Of course, I'll have to flip through some actual comics to see if they actually had the strips or not.

Are you including the Green/Red/Blue Hulk strips?
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:I'll poke around and see what I can find out.
Ta.
Col_Fury wrote:Mike's Amazing World of Comics can list comics by when they hit the shelves, so that can be a good starting point. Of course, I'll have to flip through some actual comics to see if they actually had the strips or not.
Yeah, they were pretty much used randomly as page-filler around that time...
Col_Fury wrote:Are you including the Green/Red/Blue Hulk strips?
I'm in two minds about those - on the one hand, six of them are in the second Mini-Marvels digest... but on the other, they continued after Giarrusso left Marvel on the cancellation of Mini-Marvels (Super-Hero Squad *brickwall*). Also, the only definite Mini-Marvels strip to feature Hulk after the WWH trilogy was done had him still using "I". What would you say?

Here's the rest of my list of strips and their (main pre-TPB) publications in the 2006-2009 run:

Spider-Man Family: Amazing Friends: Oct 2006 - Spidey and his Amazing Co-Workers
Stan Lee Meets Dr Strange: Dec 2006 - Principal Stanley

Spider-Man and Power Pack
#1: Jan 2007 - Civil Wards, pt 1
#2: Feb 2007 - Civil Wards, pt 2
#3: Mar 2007 - Civil Wards, pt 3
#4: Apr 2007 - Civil Wards, pt 4

Hulk and Power Pack:
#1: May 2007 - Lo, There Shall Come... a Go-Cart
#2: Jun 2007 - Armageddon Unleashed
#4: Aug 2007 - Hulk Date

Planet Hulk/World War Hulk parodies
World War Hulk Prologue: World Breaker: Jul 2007 - Round Trip
World War Hulk: Aftersmash: Jan 2008 - World War Hulk: Rally the Troops
What If? Newer Fantastic Four: Feb 2009 - Final Showdown

Fantastic Four and Power Pack:
#1: Sep 2007 - Passing the Torch pg 1
#4: Dec 2007 - Passing the Torch pg 2-5 (+pg 1 reprint)

Iron Man and Power Pack
#1: Jan 2008 - Iron Avengers pg 1-4
#2: Feb 2008 - Iron Avengers pg 5-8
#3: Mar 2008 - Iron Avengers pg 9-12
#4: Apr 2008 - Iron Avengers pg 13-15

Skrulls vs. Power Pack
#1: Sep 2008 - Conspicuous Invasion pg 1-4
#2: Oct 2008 - Conspicuous Invasion pg 5-8
#3: Nov 2008 - Conspicuous Invasion pg 9-12
#4: Dec 2008 - Conspicuous Invasion pg 13-16

Wolverine and Power Pack
#1: Jan 2009 - Hawkeye and the Beanstalk pg 1-4
#2: Feb 2009 - Hawkeye and the Beanstalk pg 5-8
#4: Apr 2009 - Hawkeye and the Beanstalk pg 9-12
??: Where did pages 13-16 first see print? (Hawkeye becomes Galactus' herald)

Thor #600/3: Apr 2009 - "Welcome Back Thor"

Marvel Assistant-Sized Spectacular #1/4: Jun 2009 - "Hawkeye and the Crimson Crown"

Other one page strips:
Taco Bell Exclusive Collector Edition: Avengers (2009)
Taco Bell Exclusive Collector Edition: Captain America (2009)
Taco Bell Exclusive Collector Edition: Fantastic Four (2009)
Taco Bell Exclusive Collector Edition: Thor (2009)

And one final note - four Bullpen Bulletins strips were not Mini-Marvels...

BPENBITS 2: (What If leftover)
BPENBITS 4: (What If leftover)
BPENBITS 10: (What If leftover)
BPENBITS 36: (Earth X Machine Man/Uatu parody looking in on the infamous Fastlane thing)
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Somebody wrote:
Col_Fury wrote:Are you including the Green/Red/Blue Hulk strips?
I'm in two minds about those - on the one hand, six of them are in the second Mini-Marvels digest... but on the other, they continued after Giarrusso left Marvel on the cancellation of Mini-Marvels (Super-Hero Squad *brickwall*). Also, the only definite Mini-Marvels strip to feature Hulk after the WWH trilogy was done had him still using "I". What would you say?
Some of them were included in the collection, as you say, so I would say yes, include them.

And you reminded me about Fastlane. Those were given chronologies in the recent Index series… :twisted:
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Okay, here's the basic spine I'm working from for the chronologies. Liberties have had to be taken with publication order (not that the TPBs bother with that!) owing to trying to keep Wasp-as-Giant-Girl appearances together and the Clor thing. Given that, this look okay to you Fury?

Taco Bell Thor*
Taco Bell Avengers*
Taco Bell Cap*
Bullpen Bits (XU 37 between #51 and #52)
Giant-Size Mini-Marvels starring Spidey
Spidey and the Mini-Marvels
Spidey and his Amazing Co-Workers
Principal Stanley
Passing the Torch
Iron Avengers
"The Black Cat"
"The Itch"
"The French Bread"
"Giant Girl"
"The Couch"
"The Snowman"
Conspicuous Invasion
Civil Wards
"Round Trip" (Planet Hulk)
"Rally the Troops" (WWH start)
"Final Encounter" (WWH end)
"Welcome Back Thor" (T 600)
"Hawkeye and the Beanstalk"
"Hawkeye and the Crimson Crown"
Taco Bell F4*
Multi-coloured Hulks

*Taco Bell Thor is a JIM 83 parody, Taco Bell Avengers is an Avengers 1½ parody - complete with all-gold IM armour - and Taco Bell Cap is also an "early days" affair. All of those go pre-Bullpen Bits accordingly.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I like it!

What happens in Taco Bell F4? COULD it be an early-days adventure, too?

I'm having a heck of a time finding where the Hawkeye and the Beanstalk part 4 first saw print. I haven't given up yet, though!
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:What happens in Taco Bell F4? COULD it be an early-days adventure, too?
Nah, wrong costumes. The F4 are drawn the way Giarrasso drew them in the later strips, along the lines of the Alan Davis suits from the Heroes Return relaunch and F4: The End. Their earlier costumes in Bullpen Bits had white collars, gloves, belts and boots.

It's a straightforward gag strip that could otherwise happen any time.

[The Cap one, since I didn't mention, was about him visiting the library to try and get out of his $6000 fine that accumulated while he was frozen!]
Col_Fury wrote:I'm having a heck of a time finding where the Hawkeye and the Beanstalk part 4 first saw print. I haven't given up yet, though!
Which brings the obvious question up if neither of us can find any trace - COULD those pages have first seen print in the Mini-Marvels Vol. 2: Secret Invasion digest?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Somebody wrote:Nah, wrong costumes.
Sweet.
Somebody wrote:The Cap one, since I didn't mention, was about him visiting the library to try and get out of his $6000 fine that accumulated while he was frozen!
:lol:
Somebody wrote:Which brings the obvious question up if neither of us can find any trace - COULD those pages have first seen print in the Mini-Marvels Vol. 2: Secret Invasion digest?
It's possible. Something similar happened with the Marvel Apes collection, in the Charles Darwin backup strips.
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I'm really starting to think that the beanstalk strip was finished in the TPB. I'm not finding anything else on it. :(
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:
Somebody wrote:The biggest problem ones for "where did they see print first" are these six:

I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Mike's Amazing World of Comics can list comics by when they hit the shelves, so that can be a good starting point. Of course, I'll have to flip through some actual comics to see if they actually had the strips or not.
Did you ever have any luck finding other comics with these strips?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I haven't been able to find much, unfortunately.

I can say that Marvel Adventures Spider-Man #14 hit the shelves on April 5, while Marvel Adventure Fantastic Four #11 hit on April 12, so the Black Cat can be shortened to just MarvAdvS-M 14.

X-Men First Class #5 was released January 17, 2007, Heroes for Hire #6 was released January 24, 2007, so HfH can get dropped from the Couch.
MarvAdvAvengers #9 was released January 17, 2007, but MarAdvAvengers #4, which is what you have listed, was released August 16, 2006. If it's supposed to be #9 (which I don't have personally to check), that would need to stay along with First Class #5, but if it's supposed to be #4, then both First Class & HfH can get dropped.

It looks like by this point the Mini Marvels were commissioned for the Marvel Adventures line, for whatever that's worth.
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Well, if I'm to believe a combination of the GCD and Mike's World, this is what I end up with (all dates dd/mm/yyyy!)

The Black Cat
M/ADVSM 14 (05/04/2006)*, M/ADVFF 11 (12/04/2006)

*Issue's main story features Black Cat, so this was obviously a loose tie-in to that!

The Itch
M/ADVSM 16 (07/06/2006), M/ADVFF 13 (14/06/2006), M/ADVA 2 (21/06/2006)

The Couch
M/ADVSM 18 (02/08/2006), M/ADVFF 15 (09/08/2006), M/ADVA 4 (16/08/2006), X:FC 5 (17/01/2007), HFH2 6 (24/01/2007)

The French Bread
M/ADVSM 20 (04/10/2006), M/ADVFF 17 (11/10/2006), M/ADVA 6 (18/10/2006), H3 102 (04/01/2007)

"Giant-Girl" story
M/ADVSM 22 (06/12/2006), M/ADVA 8 (20/12/2006)

The Snowman
M/ADVSM 24 (07/02/2007), H3 103 (07/02/2007), M/ADVA 10 (21/02/2007), X:FC 6 (21/02/2007), HFH2 7 (28/02/2007)

Looks like Marvel Adventures Spider-Man got the first printing straight though, except for that one random Planet Hulk issue that came out with "The Snowman" the same week as M/ADVSM.

So, if we just assume that "Hawkeye and the Beanstalk" pt 4 first saw print in Digest 2 - mildly complicated to pick a story number, since each story is presented as a oner rather than segmented into parts according to previous printings, but other than that... - that should be it, yes?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I think so! :D
-Daron Jensen