any favorite Captain America stories?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

any favorite Captain America stories?

Post by Col_Fury »

I'm super behind on my reading, but I did skip ahead and read Captain America #695. I thought it was great, and it reminded me why Cap is one of my favorite characters. Cap #695 does a good job of laying out who Cap is, what his motivations are and what makes him work as a character. If anyone's even remotely interested in Cap, you should check out #695.

Anyway, I've kind of gotten on a Cap kick recently and was wondering if anyone has a favorite Cap story (or three). I have a bunch and will probably rattle off a few over the next several days, but to start it off:

Cap #444 is near the top, and the first one I thought of. Cap's dead, the president is being held hostage and the Avengers have to step in in Cap's absence. It's basically an issue of what other characters think of Cap, and I think it's fantastic. For example, Hercules reveals that Olympians measure speed against Hermes and courage against Captain America. Good stuff, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Tales of Suspense #78 is another one, but I may just be partial to it. Cap and Nick Fury team up, chat about old times and Nick offers Cap a job with S.H.I.E.L.D. whenever he wants one.

Sgt. Fury #13 is probably another one I'm biased toward, but it's a fun adventure. Rock 'em sock 'em Fury clashes with cool-headed Cap, together (with Bucky & the Howlers, of course) foiling a Nazi invasion plot. Right up my wheelhouse.

Anyone have any favorites before I list off some more? :)
-Daron Jensen
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: any favorite Captain America stories?

Post by loki »

Captain America #253-254 - John Byrne art, Baron Blood, Union Jack.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Oh yeah, that's a good one. I'm a big fan of the Stern/Byrne run as a whole. :)

Another favorite of mine is Cap #193 (well really, this whole Kirby Returns run, but especially this issue): The Madbomb is a device that instead of causing physical destruction from its explosion, it causes madness and hate in minds. Riots ensue, but Cap is able to put a stop to it. :mrgreen:

Other gems from the Kirby Returns run is Cap #196, where Cap's shield is stolen during the Kill-Derby. He gets so angry about it! :lol: Also, Cap #208-212 with Arnim Zola. I love 'em!
-Daron Jensen
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I really liked the Marvels Project, as well as All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes, despite it being canceled before resolving the plot. And I'm partial to the "Just Imagine: Jeanie" arc in Questar magazine, a story about Steve Rogers's daughter in a timeline in which he never became Captain America. :wink:
MarvelBoy2002
Henchman
Henchman

Post by MarvelBoy2002 »

I haven't read many Captain America stories, but I've liked The Winter Soldier story arc from 5th volume. My parents bought it to me when I was in grade school. Suddenly, in Russia it was badly translated (dialogues became more kid-friendly).

I've also agree with Col_Fury. Current Cap series is pretty good.
Last edited by MarvelBoy2002 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Re: vanhornluke
I agree; Marvels Project is good stuff. :yepp: I hadn't heard of this Questar thing. I'll have to check it out some day.

Re: MarvelBoy2002
The Brubaker/Winter Soldier stuff is fantastic. :thumbsup:

Another favorite of mine is Cap #169-175, the Secret Empire story (I still haven't read the recent crossover of the same name) and the following "Cap loses faith and becomes Nomad" stuff afterwards leading into the Kirby Returns run (I like me some Frank Robbins). It's a good look at what makes Cap a patriot and idealist, but not necessarily a nationalist.

Another good one is the Captain America: Patriot mini. It's a fable of scared people making bad choices. Poor Jeff Mace! :cry:
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

I've always been partial to the Cosmic Cube saga from CA 115-119. Nice angst. Some good Colan work. Plus, intro of Falcon.

TOS 78 was my first Tales of Suspense when I was a kid, and my introduction to Iron Man, Captain America and Nick Fury.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I've always liked that one, too. There's some great mind-swap stuff in there.

Speaking of Cosmic Cubes, Cap Annual #7 isn't exactly great but I like it (it reveals the Cubes are pre-sentient creatures, basically Beyonder eggs). Generally I like Cosmic Cube stories, and one of my favorites was in Cap #445-448. Another is in the early volume 5 Brubaker issues (where Cap uses one to make Winter Soldier remember his past).

I've always liked the partnered-with-Falcon stuff, and my favorite era of that was the Kirby Returns run. Kirby never felt the need to explain *WHY* they were partners; they were just pals that worked well together. :)

Another favorite of mine is Cap #332 where Steve retires as Cap due to disagreement with government policies. The following issues through Cap #350 are pretty solid, showing why Steve Rogers is a different Captain America than someone else in the suit, and why he's the BEST Captain America. :wink:

Back to Brubaker, the Civil War tie-in issues of volume 5 I like a whole bunch. It does a great job of explaining not only why Cap is against the Registration Act, but why he's fighting so dang hard to stop it. What's more important: safety or liberty? Cap says liberty. :thumbsup:

Also, you gave me an idea for a new topic, Russ. Thanks!
-Daron Jensen