Who's read it all?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Who's read it all?

Post by Clive_Reston »

To let the cat out of the bag a bit, I'm working on a book about reading all the in-canon Marvel-universe comics, 1961-present--I'm 90+% of the way through--and I'm trying to track down and talk to anyone else I can find who's read all of them. I imagine that at least some of the contributors to the MCP have; who else do you know of? (Feel free to post here or to send me an offline message.)

(Note: having read most of them and intending to finish the others is just fine! I don't expect that anyone's entirely caught up as of any given Wednesday evening...)
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Re: Who's read it all?

Post by vanhornluke »

Why only the comics and not also the other 616-canon stories post-1961?

Edit: Speaking just of comics, are you including literally all of the in-canon post-1961 comics? Westerns? Romance? Humor (Millie, Chili, etc.)? Promotional/educational comics that have been referenced as 616? Marvel comic adaptations of classic novels? Conan? Comics published by other companies that have been referenced by Marvel as featuring 616 stories?
Last edited by vanhornluke on Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I've read a good healthy percentage of it. I only just filled in my Micronauts and ROM collections this past year (ROM over the summer, Micronauts from Santa Claus), but haven't read any of them yet. I've been sitting on Runaways for yoinks. I still haven't filled in my Power Man & Iron Fist or Moon Knights. I haven't even looked at Conan. etc.

Also, I've read almost nothing post-Secret Wars 2015. I fell behind.

But for the most part, I've read a WHOLE BUNCH. :lol:

And sure, the eventual intention is to read all of it. One of these days.
-Daron Jensen
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

vanhornluke wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm Why only the comics and not also the other 616-canon stories post-1961?
...Because one has to draw a line somewhere? (Curious what else you include in that, though: the prose novels & a few short story collections, but what else?)
vanhornluke wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm Edit: Speaking just of comics, are you including literally all of the in-canon post-1961 comics? Westerns? Romance? Humor (Millie, Chili, etc.)? Promotional/educational comics that have been referenced as 616? Marvel comic adaptations of classic novels? Conan? Comics published by other companies that have been referenced by Marvel as featuring 616 stories?
The rule I've made, for my purposes, is that if the 616 Peter Parker could reasonably appear in a story (whether or not he does), then it counts, and otherwise it's optional. So Conan no, westerns & war comics mostly no (though I've read a decent-sized selection of them), promo/educational stuff yes (as much as possible), romance... who knows, but I read 'em all anyway. I've skipped a lot of the stuff the MCP has declared noncanonical, but also read a lot of it! Currently reading a bunch of post-'61 Patsy Walker/Patsy & Hedy, in fact...
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Me? Nowhere near everything!
Clive_Reston wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm
vanhornluke wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:43 pm Why only the comics and not also the other 616-canon stories post-1961?
...Because one has to draw a line somewhere? (Curious what else you include in that, though: the prose novels & a few short story collections, but what else?)
VHL has a very...inclusivist idea of canon, where anything referenced, however vaguely/in-jokingly/not even published by Marvel...ly, in a comic or Handbook counts for him.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Somebody wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:09 pm Me? Nowhere near everything!
Clive_Reston wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm
VHL has a very...inclusivist idea of canon, where anything referenced, however vaguely/in-jokingly/not even published by Marvel...ly, in a comic or Handbook counts for him.
Yes, for example, not only some of the novels and short story collections, but The History of Marvels Comics #1 establishes that the Goodman magazines are 616 stories, too. The pulps had ended prior to 1961, but there were still over a decade of men's adventure magazines full of stories published after that date. :wink:
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Clive_Reston wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm The rule I've made, for my purposes, is that if the 616 Peter Parker could reasonably appear in a story (whether or not he does), then it counts, and otherwise it's optional. So Conan no,
:twisted: I'll remind you that Peter has met Red Sonja in the present and time-travelled back to meet Kull, so that proves he could "reasonably" have appeared in any Conan tales. :-P Time to add them to your reading list! :lol:
Clive_Reston wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm westerns & war comics mostly no
and then there's the time Peter went back to WWII with the Avengers, plus if he has time-travelled there then there's no reason he couldn't visit the Old West, so I guess ALL the westerns and war comics need to be added...

And, even if you insist crossovers with characters from other companies aren't canonical when they take place in special one-shots or miniseries dedicated to said crossovers, Peter met Invincible in MTU so that's a crossover that has to be considered canon, so he could reasonably appear in any Invincible comic, and Invincible crosses over with other Image characters in his and their main/"proper" series, so all their series need to be added to your reading list, and Invincible crossed over with Tick in Tick's own series (going so far as to mirror scenes from Invincible's MTU appearance and have him comment on that fact), so that means adding the Tick, who crossed over with Madman in the next issue of his own series, and....

So, basically, you'll have to add the vast majority of comics ever published in the U.S. *doh*

Once you get close to finishing them, lmk. At which point I'll explain how this six degrees of Kevin Bacon schtick means Peter could reasonably have appeared in various U.K., Australian, Canadian, European, etc. comics too. :twisted:
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

...We may have different definitions of "reasonably." Kull could (and did) show up in one of Peter's comics, but not vice versa; same goes for Invincible. (Time travel and IP-ownership travel seem like special situations that don't fall under "reasonably," i.e. "without special dispensation," even though they DO happen sometimes.) Savage Dragon/Destroyer Duck, on the other hand, does arguably have 616 Spider-Man in it--but that doesn't imply to me that, by extension, other Savage Dragon, Destroyer Duck and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics are within the scope of what I'm talking about here, because it's also an edge case and life is short and sophistry is a drag and if Peter Parker started showing up in every third issue of Savage Dragon you'd best believe there would be some lawyers getting involved.

If you bring up the Transformers, I will smile broadly and change the subject.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

And besides, it's his book. He can set whatever parameters he wants! :lol:

Just wondering, are you reading physical paper comics or online? I prefer paper, myself...
-Daron Jensen
Clive_Reston
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Clive_Reston »

I read 'em however I can. Original newsprint is my preferred format for the most part, especially for '60s-'70s stuff, but I've read them in just about every extant format. (For mid-'80s-to-late-'90s material, I definitely prefer later reprints or Unlimited, just for the sake of legibility.)

Probably worth mentioning that I've got a Tumblr where, every day, I'm posting a notable panel from what I've been reading: https://allofthemarvels.tumblr.com/
zilch
Hero
Hero

Post by zilch »

Probably 90%+ of the pre-Secret Wars Marvel (excluding Conan and Western, Millie and other outlier stuff). Gobs of trips to used book stores, flea markets and just sitting on the floor of the store reading from about '68 onwards.