Questions about page counts

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Questions about page counts

Post by michaelyuri »

I have some questions about the official MCP policies regarding page counts. I know I've seen some of these questions answered before, but it would be nice to have it all in one place. Here's my understanding of how it works, along with some questions:

1) Recap pages generally DON'T count.

2) Recap pages with original in continuity panels DO count.

3) Recap pages with gag panels/characters breaking the fourth wall DON'T count.

4) What if an original panel on the recap page just contains scene-setting art, without any characters or plot? I assume this still counts, right?

5) What about an initial splash page with, say, a floating Spider-Man head surrounded by narration boxes bringing the reader up to speed? It seems functionally equivalent to a recap page, but I'm assuming these are typically treated as story pages, yes?

6) What about a title page (in a one-shot or special, for example) with original background art? I'm assuming this is treated like cover art and doesn't count.

7) In older books in which the pages actually have printed page numbers, my impression is that the MCP ignores those numbers and instead just counts story pages. Is that correct?

8) Finally, how do you indicate page:panel ranges when there's a two page spread with panels running continuously across both pages?
-Mike
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions about page counts

Post by Russ Chappell »

michaelyuri wrote:7) In older books in which the pages actually have printed page numbers, my impression is that the MCP ignores those numbers and instead just counts story pages. Is that correct?
Correct.
michaelyuri wrote:8) Finally, how do you indicate page:panel ranges when there's a two page spread with panels running continuously across both pages?
If the two-page spread consists entirely of panels running continuously across both pages, then, for the purpose of counting panels, I would think that the second page of the spread would be considered to have no panels, and all the panels would belong to the first page.

As for the other questions you've raised, I would prefer that the Directors discuss these issues privately before posting publicly, so as to limit confusion. Anyone else, of course, if free to voice their opinion.

watching: showbiz tonight
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Russ wrote:
I would think that the second page of the spread would be considered to have no panels, and all the panels would belong to the first page.
I've used a different approach for the calendar. A two-page spread running across, say, pages 4 and 5 is noted as 4/5. So the sixth sequential panel on the spread would be 4/5:6.
Paul B.
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Russ wrote:
I would think that the second page of the spread would be considered to have no panels, and all the panels would belong to the first page.
I've used a different approach for the calendar. A two-page spread running across, say, pages 4 and 5 is noted as 4/5. So the sixth sequential panel on the spread would be 4/5:6.
this sounds like the best way to do it, imo. and the original question WAS a tough one. Paul's answer seems to make the most sense.