i know it's not Marvel, but, The Dark Knight?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

i know it's not Marvel, but, The Dark Knight?

Post by TheDeuce »

what did you all think of it? i loved it. i've never really read any Batman (and he's the only DC character i've ever thought about reading) and it really made me want to check out some Batman comics.

i didn't know the whole Heath Ledger thing until after i saw the movie. interesting, but what a bummer.
Ross
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: i know it's not Marvel, but, The Dark Knight?

Post by Ross »

TheDeuce wrote:i didn't know the whole Heath Ledger thing until after i saw the movie.
Holy moses! Did you just get awoken from suspended animation?

As for the movie, I thought it was fantastic - probably my favorite comics film (an honor I had previously bestowed upon "Spider-Man 2"). I've only read a few Batman TPBs (Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum, Year One, Year 100) but it did make me want to pick up a couple more - namely "The Long Halloween" and "The Killing Joke", which I've heard Christian Bale used to figure out his character in the film.
cweed4
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by cweed4 »

After seeing Iron Man I thought that was the best comic movie ever (nudging out Spidey 2). I heard from people that DK was better and was surprised to find myself agreeing with that sentiment. I don't remember ever feeling exhausted after watching a movie before but it was just non-stop intensity. The whole Heath Ledger story just added an extra level of creepiness to the film. I thought for sure it was going to end w/ the origin of Two-Face as a setup for the next movie but it just kept going. :o

My complete collection of Batman tpb's-
Batman Chronicles v1 (historically interesting to read the original comics)
Batman: Year One (my personal favorite)
Batman: Dark Knight Returns (started re-reading it last night)
Batman: Shaman (decent story, collects first arc of Legends of the Dark Knight which was started after the '89 movie)
Batman: Killing Joke (written by Alan Moore, nuff said)
Batman: Death in the Family (just ok)

I've also read Hush and (most of) Knightfall. Both of those got dragged out too far beyond the original stories for me to keep up with them. The Long Halloween is supposed to be good so I would probably pick that up next (whenever that might happen).
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

yeah, i've picked up some batman. i'm trying to read ot chronologically, but i'm having trouble finding a reading order (or even a chronological order) i feel i can trust. i've already read Year One and Shaman (and from what i've heard Year Two is no longer in continuity) and Catwoman: Her Sister's Keeper. good so far. i included the best chronology links i've been able to find for Batman. anyone know of any other good ones?

http://www.dcuguide.com/chronology.php?name=batman (this is similar to what we do here, but take a look at that inactive forum. and a lot of the Legends Of The Dark Knight books are missing from his "chronology")

http://www.thebatsquad.net/continuity/index.htm (it's the Bat Squad but for some reason it has the whole dc universe in more-or-less chronological order)

http://sequart.com/batmanYEARONE.htm (i guess this one seems the best so far, though i still reference the other two sites)
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Year Two may be back in now.

Basically, Marvel's chronology might have a few craters - but post-Infinite Crisis DC's continuity is Chernobyl. Try and figure out how Wonder Woman's history can work if the Pérez run counts AND she co-founded the JLoA...
cweed4
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by cweed4 »

DC has an additional 20+ years of stories for their flagship characters. Plus, from what little I know, they didn't even try to maintain a continuity until COIE in the mid-80's.

I'm pretty sure that when Batman: LOTDK came out they actually said those would be out-of-continuity tales (unlike the Star Wars Tales comics which were retroactively declared "Infinities" stories.) Did the opposite happen in the Batman case with the title eventually being absorbed into (what passes for) DC continuity?
SeanCurtin
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by SeanCurtin »

cweed4 wrote:I'm pretty sure that when Batman: LOTDK came out they actually said those would be out-of-continuity tales (unlike the Star Wars Tales comics which were retroactively declared "Infinities" stories.) Did the opposite happen in the Batman case with the title eventually being absorbed into (what passes for) DC continuity?
I don't think that LOTDK was ever supposed to be out-of-continuity, although the earliest stories were set in the past. There were inter-series crossovers running through LOTDK as early as issue 27, and Venom (the super-steroid that Bane uses) was introduced in the "Venom" arc in issues 16-20.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I thought Dark Knight was awesome. As in I-saw-it-three-times-awesome. I also saw Iron Man three times, so there you go.

Joker was great and they nailed Two Face. I really can't ask for more than that.
-Daron Jensen