What music/songs/bands do you associate with certain comics.

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

templedog1972
Hero
Hero

What music/songs/bands do you associate with certain comics.

Post by templedog1972 »

I have a question for the group and hopefully i can phrase it correctly so that everyone can understand what I am asking. I grew up in the seventies and early eighties, and often while reading my comics I would listen to the radio. Well now as an adult when I hear certain bands or songs I associate them mentally with certain comic titles. My question is this, what music/songs/bands do you associate with certain comics?

a few that i can think of are as follows:

When I hear 1970s Queen and disco I think of Spider-Man, especially ASM-124 since I had the Power Record set as a kid.

When I hear Toto, Duran Duran and America it reminds me of the X-Men, especially UXM-143-170.

Weird, and creepy huh?

Temp
Last edited by templedog1972 on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What music/songs/bands do you associate with certain comics.

Post by Col_Fury »

templedog1972 wrote:Weird, and creepy huh?
Not at all!

Whenever I listen to the album "Orange" by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, specifically the song "Very Rare", I ALWAYS think of the David Mazzuchelli run on Daredevil.

When I listen to the album "John Henry" by They Might be Giants, my mind comes back to Sal Buscema's run on Spectacular Spider-Man.

And when I listen to that album's single "Back to Skull", I always think of the second Alan Davis run on Excalibur(when he was writing and drawing), specifically the songs "Ondine" and "Mrs. Train".

There's lots and lots of others, but those are off the top of my head. The funny thing is, I'll forget what's linked in my head until I hear the song again, and I can't help but think of whatever comic is attached to it in my brains. I KNOW that there's something attached to the early '90s Peter David/Larry Stroman run on X-Factor, but for the life of me I can't recall it at the moment. It must have been a while since I've heard whatever it is...

Great topic!
-Daron Jensen
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Oh, so I'm not the only one ?

It happens a bit differently for me : when I read a long stretch of comics or books, I usually put a given CD/playlist for my computer/CD player/MP3 player for the whole duration, and let it complement what I read. So it's rarely a given song that gets associated rather than the whole CD/playlist. Also, it's usually only the case for long runs that I (re-)read in big stretches (and nearly never for new comics).

Moreover, it works both ways for me : the songs get associated with a given comic series/book, but the music also changes my perception of what I read, usually for the better.

So, for comics :
- the first Portishead album (Dummy) with the early Ultimate books (which I discovered on Marvel's old DotComics program). Some tracks are forever associated with Peter's angst and mutant persecution.
- the Cowboy Bebob extended OST for Batman books in general (and the 90s in particular). This jazzy soundtrack gives them a more... playful mood (otherwise, the Joker killing a dozen people every five issues would be horribly depressing). For some reason, I'm associating "Ask DNA" with the Joker's seduction of Harleen Quinzel in "Mad Love".
- Some of the Evangelion soundtrack works great with Morrison's JLA run, and DC One Million in particular. It's not yet full association (the original series still wins), but close.
- the fourth Portishead album (Third) with Death Note : I now associate most of the songs with that series' paranoia and mind games, as well as the good guys' despair at not catching the serial killer.

I also have other strong associations with books, but it would get off-topic.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight" with the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams X-Men.

watching: tru calling
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Okay, this dates me. I can remember the BeeGees' "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" playing when I purchased Incredible Hulk #141 at a store in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire. That was the summer of 1971! Strange how that memory stuck...
Paul B.
templedog1972
Hero
Hero

Post by templedog1972 »

Administrator wrote:Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight, Tonight" with the Roy Thomas/Neal Adams X-Men.

watching: tru calling
BTW I love Tru Calling. Too bad they canceled it.
templedog1972
Hero
Hero

Post by templedog1972 »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Okay, this dates me. I can remember the BeeGees' "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" playing when I purchased Incredible Hulk #141 at a store in Hampton Beach, New Hampshire. That was the summer of 1971! Strange how that memory stuck...
No worse than Queen's "We are the Champions" being associated with Spider-Man.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Dio's Last In Line album and the Inferno crossover. Especially the song One Night in the City. "...and the Darkchilde said her name..." :twisted:
"May the Light shine forever!"
Nathan P. Mahney
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Nathan P. Mahney »

Funny, my major one is for Inferno as well. It's a bit more dichotomous than Dio, though. Dio is a good fit for Inferno. Parliament/Funkadelic, and specifically the song Bop Gun? Not so much. But I discovered that band at the same time I was reading through a friend's collection of X-Factor, so the two are indelibly linked in my head.
- Nathan P. Mahney -
templedog1972
Hero
Hero

Post by templedog1972 »

Comics and music fit so well together. :D
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I read my comics in complete silence. Now I feel weird.

-Jeph!
templedog1972
Hero
Hero

Post by templedog1972 »

I read them in silence now as well, but as a kid the radio was always playing as I read.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Strange how that memory stuck...
Strange and cool! I pulled out some of my old mix tapes and brought back some memories of my own. :)

The song "Sloop John B." by the Beach Boys, of all things, is what reminds me of the Peter David/Larry Stroman run on X-Factor. Who knew?

And as long as we're talking about Inferno, "D'yer Mak'er" by Led Zeppelin reminds me of Uncanny #242, specifically the big splash of Wolverine smooching with Jean in front of everybody. That song doesn't really remind me of the whole crossover, just that issue for some reason.
templedog1972 wrote:Comics and music fit so well together. :D
That's right! :D
jephyork wrote:Now I feel weird.
Well, you ARE weird. :wink:

I still listen to music when I read comics, but not as much as I used to. However,
JD wrote:when I read a long stretch of comics or books, I usually put a given CD/playlist for my computer/CD player/MP3 player for the whole duration, and let it complement what I read.
I am definitely going to have to try that; putting some forethought into it instead of just putting something on.
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

It only took almost a decade, but I just stumbled across "Ding Dong! the Witch is Dead" by the Fifth Estate, which immediately brought memories of the Lobo: Infanticide mini. wtf?

Also, since we're here, the Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin will always remind me of Thor in general because of the Thor: Ragnarok movie. Just 'cause. :wink:

It's been a while; anyone else have any associations?
-Daron Jensen
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Well, keep in mind that I'm several years behind in my reading, but "Born to Run" with Guardians of the Galaxy.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe