Gravestone Dates for MU Characters

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Gravestone Dates for MU Characters

Post by wolframbane »

I am gathering together a list of appearances of the tombstones with dates on them for characters in the Marvel Universe who have died. At one time or another, many of the MU characters have died (although more often than not this is only temporary with the MU's revolving door of an afterlife). For chronologists, this can be helpful as it often helps determine a character's birthdate, or even if the date is topical due to the sliding timeline, an approximate age can at least be determined.

Below are the appearances of tombstones with inscribed dates that I have located thus far. Would anyone be able to add to this list?

Dr. Strange (Stephen Strange), "Born November xxxx, Died October 1968" (DRSTR 176)
http://www.geocities.com/marvelindex/st ... tr-176.jpg

Harry Osborn, "1xx7-2008" (ASM 581)
http://www.geocities.com/marvelindex/ha ... sm-581.jpg

Jean Grey, "1956-1980" (UX 138)
http://www.geocities.com/marvelindex/je ... ux-138.jpg

Night Trasher (Dwayne Taylor), "1986-2006" (NW4 7)
http://www.geocities.com/marvelindex/dw ... _nw4-7.jpg

Yellowjacket (Henry Pym), "1958-1982" (WI? 35)
http://www.geocities.com/marvelindex/henrypym_wi-35.jpg

Gravity (Greg Willis), 1988-2006 (BEYOND 6)
Brigadier-General Cornelius Shaw (Sebastian's ancestor), 1861-1915 (X:HC 3)
John Howlett Jr. (Wolverine's brother), "1885-1997" (O 1, W:E 1)
Maria Elizabeth Castle (Punisher's wife), "1948-1976" (PUN7 1)
Lisa Barbara Castle (Punisher's daughter), "1967-1976" (PUN7 1)
Frank David Castle (Punisher's son), "1971-1976" (PUN7 1)
Brian Xavier (Professor X's father), born August 27, died October 12 (X 12)

I believe there is also a reference to the dates on the gravestone of Digitek (Jonathan Bryant) in Digitek #1-4, but I do not have the issue to verify.
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/digitekp.htm
Arthur
Director
Director

Re: Gravestone Dates for MU Characters

Post by Arthur »

Digitek #4 does show Jonathan Bryant's tombstone: 1951 1993

a couple of others...

Janice Cord (IM 23): 1945-1969

Marie Stark (IM 318): 1940 - xxxx

Lonnie Carver (brother of THUNDERBOLT/BILLY CARVER, PM 41): 1964-1976
tobyoryamcha
Hero
Hero

Post by tobyoryamcha »

but none of them except the birth MONTH or a character who was immortal are cannon due to the sliding timescale.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

tobyoryamcha wrote:but none of them except the birth MONTH or a character who was immortal are cannon due to the sliding timescale.
Even if a character's dates are only topical, they can at least be used to determine a relative age for them when they supposedly died.
Arthur
Director
Director

Post by Arthur »

Don't know if this will help you at all but Adam Warlock's (temporary) tombstone is shown in M/TIO@ 2 as 1967-1977
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

As I recall, Adam Warlock's tombstone later appeared in MTIO when Her tried to resurrect him.

Did Mar-Vell's tombstone appear during Operation: Galactic Storm?

Danny Rand's tombstone appeared in PM & If#125, though of course, a plant got buried instead.

Did Uncle Ben's tombstone appear in ASM I#180 or 181?

Victoria Wingate Hellstrom's tombstone appeared in Daimon Hellstrom's first appearance in Ghost Rider II#1 as born in a specified year (I cannot recall, but they did give a year instead of just chicken scratches or Greek letters, the term of art for intentionally unreadable writing) to dying in 1953. As I recall, Satana Hellstrom's tombstone or some born and died information appeared in the Marvel Team-Up issue where the Basilisk slew her as Satana's birth taking place in 1954. However, George Olshevsky notes that this information contradicts the tombstone of Victoria Hellstrom I must mentioned (how could Satana's birth take place after her mother died? don't bring up emergency C-sections, please), and remains topical anyway.

As I recall, PPSS#147 features Miles Warren's tombstone (Carrion, who only had the accumulated memories of Warren up to a point before he died, recoiled in astonishment to see it).

Did the memorial to the Porcupine in Avengers Mansion (from Captain American I#315 and later seen during the Masters of Evil invasion) have biographical data on him?

What about the Whizzer's funeral? I know that Hawkeye I#4 reveals where it took place, but they did actually tell the story of his funeral?

Also, the Mad Thinker threw a funeral for the android Human Torch to smoke out Toro. As I recall, the West Coast Avengers visited that grave in AWC#50.

Do a google site restricted search of marvunapp.com and funeral for some issues featuring funerals.

In AWC#65, we see, appropriately enough, the Grim Reaper's gravestone, but I cannot recall if we clearly saw his tombstone.

Matt Murdock exhumed Elektra's corpse in DD I#181 or I#182, but I do not recall if we could make out the tombstone biographical info. Later, around DD I#190, the Hand exhumed her corpse.
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Peter Fabricius »

Enda80 wrote:As I recall, Adam Warlock's tombstone later appeared in MTIO when Her tried to resurrect him.
Still reading 1967-1977
Enda80 wrote:Did Mar-Vell's tombstone appear during Operation: Galactic Storm?
Seen in Avengers West Coast #80 and Quasar #32, but no dates seen
Enda80 wrote:Did Uncle Ben's tombstone appear in ASM I#180 or 181?
Appears in #181. Born is unclear, but looks like 1907. Died is 19?? where the last two digits are almost invisible, but could be seen as 62, when you know that that is the year Amazing Fantasy #15 was published.
Enda80 wrote:Victoria Wingate Hellstrom's tombstone appeared in Daimon Hellstrom's first appearance in Ghost Rider II#1 as born in a specified year (I cannot recall, but they did give a year instead of just chicken scratches or Greek letters, the term of art for intentionally unreadable writing) to dying in 1953. As I recall, Satana Hellstrom's tombstone or some born and died information appeared in the Marvel Team-Up issue where the Basilisk slew her as Satana's birth taking place in 1954. However, George Olshevsky notes that this information contradicts the tombstone of Victoria Hellstrom I must mentioned (how could Satana's birth take place after her mother died? don't bring up emergency C-sections, please), and remains topical anyway.
On the first page the tombstone clearly reads Born March 4, 1928 Died Aug 21, 1953
Enda80 wrote:As I recall, PPSS#147 features Miles Warren's tombstone (Carrion, who only had the accumulated memories of Warren up to a point before he died, recoiled in astonishment to see it).
Not in #147, but #148 has Ned Leeds' tombstone, it reads 1955-1986, and #149 has the tombstones of George, Martha and Gwendolyne Stacy, no dates can be seen, and also the tombstone of Miles Warren, again no dates can be made out
Enda80 wrote:Did the memorial to the Porcupine in Avengers Mansion (from Captain American I#315 and later seen during the Masters of Evil invasion) have biographical data on him?
I don't have Captain America #315, but there are no dates on the display in Avengers #274
Enda80 wrote:Also, the Mad Thinker threw a funeral for the android Human Torch to smoke out Toro. As I recall, the West Coast Avengers visited that grave in AWC#50.
Born 1939 is seen clearly, but the Died date is covered by weeds growing on the grave
Enda80 wrote:In AWC#65, we see, appropriately enough, the Grim Reaper's gravestone, but I cannot recall if we clearly saw his tombstone.
The tombstone is seen, but dates cannot be read
Enda80 wrote:Matt Murdock exhumed Elektra's corpse in DD I#181 or I#182, but I do not recall if we could make out the tombstone biographical info. Later, around DD I#190, the Hand exhumed her corpse.
Tombstone is seen in Daredevil #181 and #182, but no dates. In #190 her coffin is seen, but not the tombstone. The tombstone is also seen in What If #35, again without dates

I don't have the other issues
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Here are some more:

Caroline Jordan (Captain Wonder's wife), "Born 1920 Died 1975" (TWELVE 2)
Captain David L. Jordan (Captain Wonder's son), "Born 1942 Died 1974" (TWELVE 2)
Colonel William F. Jordan (Captain Wonder's son), "Born 1940 Died 1975" (TWELVE 2)
Black Widow (Claire Voyant), 1910-1928 (TWELVE 8)
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

John Howlett Jr. (Wolverine's brother), "1885-1997" (O 1, W:E 1)
Certainly you must mean 1897...

-Jeph!