SCAN REQUEST: "Hunt for Magneto" trading cards

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

SCAN REQUEST: "Hunt for Magneto" trading cards

Post by JephYork »

I'm working on the bonuses for the Avengers/X-Men: Bloodties Premiere HC, and I'd like to include the "Hunt for Magneto" trading card set. 18 cards, mostly bound into various summer 1993 X-Men and Avengers books -- they were each attached to a scratch-off game piece for the Sega-sponsored "Hunt for Magneto" contest.

Check 'em out here.

The first 12 or 13 cards were, like I said, bound into comics, and I could probably visit a comic shop or two and track down copies to buy and scan. But the final 5 or 6 cards were only available as a mail-in offer! You had to send away for them ... they're not going to be easy to find.

Does anyone happen to have these?

-Jeph!
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: SCAN REQUEST: "Hunt for Magneto" trading cards

Post by JLH »

I have some of those cards. I was just going through my trading card collection yesterday and found them. I was wondering how the hell I had them, since I remembered them being bound into the books, and these were cut out. Lemme check and see what ones I have...

Edit: According to that list above, I have the final four cards, 15-18.

I seem to recall now scratching the Captain America head on the bound-in card, sending it in, and getting the five cards. Card 14 looks familiar, but I can't find it at the moment. I probably have it around here somewhere. I'll go looking for it, if you want.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Hi, JLH. Sorry for the prolonged silence -- I didn't see that you had edited your post! :-(

That's fantastic news that you have #15-18! Those are the rarest ones. And yes, I'd love if you could track down card #14 as well! Please let me know if you find it!

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I managed to buy 10 of the 13 comics containing the bound-in cards today. Now, aside from #14-18, I'm only missing card 4 (X-Men Adventures #10), card 11 (Marvel Age 128), and card 10 (which is complicated...)

Check out this head-scratcher: according to several sites, including comics.org and the site that I linked to above, card 10 is found in X-Factor #94. However, my copy of that issue -- which I bought fresh off the shelf -- doesn't have it. I checked another copy at the store today, and it didn't have a card either. Does anyone have a copy of X-Factor #94 that *does* have this bound-in card?

Also, the "Maximum Anniversary X-Perience" insert, which gave the sweepstakes rules and listed where the trading cards would be found, listed 15 comics even though there were only 13 cards. Two comics too many!

Among the issues they listed were X-Factor #93 and 94, and Thunderstrike #4. Well, as far as I can tell, X-Factor #93 and 94 don't actually have cards -- which might make them the two extras. I couldn't find a copy of Thunderstrike #4 to check it. Maybe card 10 is inside that issue? Does anyone own it? Can anyone check?

Thanks!

-Jeph!
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Peter Fabricius »

My copy of Thunderstrike # 4 doesn not have any card.
But my copy of X-Factor #94 does have card #10, and I also have card #4 and #11
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Thanks for the confirmation, Peter! I guess my copy of X-Factor #94 is just missing the card for some reason.

Someone on another board sent me a scan of card #10 this afternoon, but would you be able to scan cards #4 and 11 for this project? I need 600 dpi .tif scans, of the fronts and backs of each card. Please don't crop the scan all the way down to the card edges, and please don't compress the files in any way. (I don't need the sweepstakes bits -- just the trading cards.)

To get a nice flat scan, you may have to remove the cards from the comics. (But you can get them back in if you bend the staples carefully!) Would you be comfortable with that?

I'd be happy to put your name in the book's Special Thanks. I'll add JLH too, when he gets back to me.

Thanks, guys...

-Jeph!
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Peter Fabricius »

I can do that after work, no problem
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Thanks, Peter! Unfortunately, your card #4 is a bit miscut -- the top of Cap's head is cropped off at the top of the card, but the cropped-off bit is attached to the very *bottom* of the card. I guess it was misaligned in the trimmer or something.

Does anyone else have a copy of card #4 that they can scan? It was packaged inside X-Men Adventures #10...

-Jeph!