Universe Designations

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

intp
Big Bad
Big Bad

Universe Designations

Post by intp »

This question is slightly off topic, but I was wondering how it is decided what "number" a timeline gets. (e.g. 616 vs. 5901, etc.) I assume there is some sort of centralized authority so that the same number is not used for different timelines; but is it the editor-in-chief? Some committee of high-level editors? Or is any "unused" number basically up for grabs?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Universe Designations

Post by Russ Chappell »

I think they're supposed to be random, by their very nature, but if you look closely, you can suss out that some of them are tied to the year & month they debuted.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

The designation of at least one -- Earth 3588 ("the Taco Bell-verse") -- is an inside joke.
Paul B.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

The numbers are semi-random - as Russ notes, there's a system often used involving publication dates, in homage to how fans originally speculated Moore got the initial 616 that kicked it all off, but that's mainly because if people "choose numbers at random" you generally find you are not really being all that random. As for who chooses them? In some cases it's the original writers who first showed a given reality have been asked and have supplied them. Other times it is the handbook's senior writer, either because the original writer left the choice to the handbooks or wasn't contactable. We do have a list of reality designators, including ones given by other fictions (not just comics either) where we know of them, to try and avoid reusing ones given elsewhere.
Jeremy Johnston
Minion
Minion

Post by Jeremy Johnston »

Is there somewhere we can find a complete list of the universe designations?