Foreign Produced Marvel Comics Original Stories

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Foreign Produced Marvel Comics Original Stories

Post by Jason Doty »

Does anyone have a list of original stories or stories that have added scenes of Marvel Comics published overseas.

I just was reading an article from in Alter Ego Magazine about original X-Men story back-ups that appeared in Edições GEP from Brazil.

Anyone here interested in compiling a list of these type stories?

To start off the Original X-Men stories listed in this Magazine are:

Edições GEP no.1 "Battle of Titans"
Edições GEP no.2 "The Day Jean Grey Became Leader"
Edições GEP no.3 "Complicated Race"
Edições GEP no.4 "The X-Men vs. Octopus the Terrible"
Edições GEP no.5 "The Haunted House"
Edições GEP no.6 "The Mutants from Jupiter"
Edições GEP no.7 "The Man Who Wanted to Rule the World"
Edições GEP no.8 "The X-Men Face...Thor the Viking"
Edições GEP no.13 "Danger Under the Water"
Edições GEP no.14 "Fireman"
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Foreign Produced Marvel Comics Original Stories

Post by Jason Doty »

From France a new Silver Surfer Story

Nova no.25 (Feb 1980) "The Narrow Gate"
Nova no.26 (Mar 1980) "The Narrow Gate part II"
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Marvel Italia in Italy produced

Europa (1996) #1-5 and Wild Angels (1996) #1-4, though the second might have only been published as a single magazine with all 4 issues.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

It looks like I started this sometime ago as well. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4278

It's nice to find that there are quite a few other countries as well with original stories.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

Jason Doty wrote:Marvel Italia in Italy produced

Europa (1996) #1-5 and Wild Angels (1996) #1-4, though the second might have only been published as a single magazine with all 4 issues.
Yes, Wild Angels was an unpublished Marvel UK miniseries published in Italy in a single TPB.
Europa was a magazine (five numbers, 0/4) with two serial inside, Gemini (an Italian super team) and Euroforce (an European branch of the SHIELD).
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by ShadZ »

Jason Doty wrote:It looks like I started this sometime ago as well. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4278

It's nice to find that there are quite a few other countries as well with original stories.
See this thread too: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5781
ShadZ
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I've been trying to compile a list of these foreign stories for eventual inclusion in the Complete Marvel Reading Order (link). I've listed several that haven't appeared in this thread so far in this thread at cxpulp: http://www.cxpulp.com/showthread.php?72 ... -US-and-UK. Anyone know if I've missed any?
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I may have just learned of two more Brazilian comics with original Marvel stories.

According to here, the X-Men also appeared in the 19th issue of Edições GEP. A reprint or an original story?

Also, according to that link as well as here, the X-Men character Unus appeared as a major character in Raio Negro (Black Lightning) #15. :)
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I just learned of a bunch more original Marvel stories published in France: link. :D
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Reviving a very old thread with an update that I hope might be of interest.

http://www.marvunapp.com/ohotmu/appendi ... rseas.html
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Thank you Loki, You have opened my eyes with new Marvel Stories to track down. Much appreciated.
Midnighter
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Midnighter »

loki wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:39 am Reviving a very old thread with an update that I hope might be of interest.

Great work! Just two thing about Italian stories: Tito Faraci is not the creator of Dylan Dog (created by Tiziano Sclavi), but the main writer of the character at the time of L'Uomo Ragno: Il Segreto del Vetro came out.

And the art of Spider-Man stories from "Il Giornalino" are gorgeous because was one the first works of Marco Checchetto. Thanks to these stories he would later be called by Marvel and is now one of the top cartoonists on Daredevil

On this site (which is the best site on Marvel publications in Italian) there are catalogued the five issues Marvel Junior Ed. Cioé.
https://www.blue-area.net/node/798556

I am only aware of these stories that have no original reference (but whose authors are also not recorded):
- a 3-page Silver Surfer origin story in issue #3
- a 4-page Spider-Man origin story in issue #4
- an 8-page Wolverine story (against the Hulk) also in issue #4
- a 4-page Nightcrawler story in issue #5
- a 5-page Storm story also in issue #5

I'll ask if any collectors have more information about this.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Midnighter wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:29 am
loki wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:39 am Reviving a very old thread with an update that I hope might be of interest.

Great work! Just two thing about Italian stories: Tito Faraci is not the creator of Dylan Dog (created by Tiziano Sclavi), but the main writer of the character at the time of L'Uomo Ragno: Il Segreto del Vetro came out.

And the art of Spider-Man stories from "Il Giornalino" are gorgeous because was one the first works of Marco Checchetto. Thanks to these stories he would later be called by Marvel and is now one of the top cartoonists on Daredevil

On this site (which is the best site on Marvel publications in Italian) there are catalogued the five issues Marvel Junior Ed. Cioé.
https://www.blue-area.net/node/798556

I am only aware of these stories that have no original reference (but whose authors are also not recorded):
- a 3-page Silver Surfer origin story in issue #3
- a 4-page Spider-Man origin story in issue #4
- an 8-page Wolverine story (against the Hulk) also in issue #4
- a 4-page Nightcrawler story in issue #5
- a 5-page Storm story also in issue #5

I'll ask if any collectors have more information about this.
Thanks for this. I've corrected the Tito info and updated the relevant page to add info about Marvel Junior.
Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Giant Ant »

This was extremely interesting, thank you! There are a few I didn't know about that I've added to my wantlist (and a few I've already found!)

A couple of comments :
Would you include material meant to be published in the US, but that only saw print in other countries? I'm thinking about Marvel Super Special #7, the Sgt Peppers adaptation, that was never published in the US but saw print in France and Netherlands.

Also this one
https://www.bedetheque.com/BD-Gardiens- ... 23407.html
which I think is only available in french, from France, but the creators are from Marvel US.

About the Dutch Superhelden Agendas :
I have the 88-89, 89-90 and 90-91

In the 88-89, the Spider-Man strip is indeed reprinted from the Stan Lee and Romita newspaper strip (July-September 1977). There are a few more reprints inside : Spider-Man/Thing story from Marvel Tales 198, Wolverine The Hunter story from The Best Of Marvel Comics and the Captain America story from Marvel Fanfare 29. There are two pin-ups taken from the covers of the official index to Marvel Team-Up #5-6.

I can confirm there is original material in the 90-91, a new tale in short strips at the bottoms of the pages. Both the 89-90 and 90-91 also feature a few short stories reprinted from various anthology titles.

From Spain, about the stories from La Espada Salvaje De Conan :
I have the full run of #1-14, plus the Annual (Especial 2001) whitch also contains original material.
From my understanding of the editorials within, the stories were created for Marvel Italia, but I don't think the plan was only to use them in Italy and that they were only used in other European countries following the cancellation of Conan Il Conquistadore. I think the plan was to create Conan stories for the European markets and publish it simultaneously in various European countries. The Spanish #1 was published in October 1997. And from what I can see, the first stories printed in France were published in May 1997.

The story in the Spanish #14 seems to be the same that was published in Marvel Miniserie #36 in Italy (La Espada Y La Rosa in Spain), but I'm pretty sure it was published in Spain first. The issue was on sale in Spain in December 1998.
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pm

This was extremely interesting, thank you!
Glad you liked it!
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pm There are a few I didn't know about that I've added to my wantlist (and a few I've already found!)
I had the same sort of response as I was compiling the list - while I already knew about a reasonable percentage of these, there were ones I didn't know about and now need to track down copies.
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pmA couple of comments :
Would you include material meant to be published in the US, but that only saw print in other countries? I'm thinking about Marvel Super Special #7, the Sgt Peppers adaptation, that was never published in the US but saw print in France and Netherlands.
Yeah, I think I should add that, and any others like that. I did know about that one, but forgot about it while compiling the list.
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pmAlso this one
https://www.bedetheque.com/BD-Gardiens- ... 23407.html
which I think is only available in french, from France, but the creators are from Marvel US.
Yes, if it is only available in France. While I worded it as stories "produced" in other countries, I'm willing to bend that definition to include "only published". I want the list to be as comprehensive as possible so that I and others know what is out there, so being overly nitpicky to exclude stuff would be counter to that intention. It's the same reason I included stuff like One Cat and His Cod from the U.K. Thundercats - it's got no obvious Marvel universe links, and may well be creator owned, but I'd rather list it and let the person reading the list discount it as being of no interest than omit it.
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pmAbout the Dutch Superhelden Agendas :
I have the 88-89, 89-90 and 90-91

In the 88-89, the Spider-Man strip is indeed reprinted from the Stan Lee and Romita newspaper strip (July-September 1977). There are a few more reprints inside : Spider-Man/Thing story from Marvel Tales 198, Wolverine The Hunter story from The Best Of Marvel Comics and the Captain America story from Marvel Fanfare 29. There are two pin-ups taken from the covers of the official index to Marvel Team-Up #5-6.
Okay, I can take it off the list then. I vaguely recalled being told a good few years back, when I first heard of the Superhelden Agendas, that 88-89 had no new material, but when I was compiling the list I stumbled across an advert for the book that had been scanned and when Google translated it for me I saw it mention "brand new" stories, so I thought it better to mention it with a caveat than omit it because of a vague memory that might be wrong. Now that you've confirmed the contents are all reprint material I'll take it out the list.
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pmI can confirm there is original material in the 90-91, a new tale in short strips at the bottoms of the pages. Both the 89-90 and 90-91 also feature a few short stories reprinted from various anthology titles.
Thanks. I've got the 89-90 Agenda, but have never managed to track down a copy of the 90-91, so it's good to have the confirmation.
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pm From Spain, about the stories from La Espada Salvaje De Conan :
I have the full run of #1-14, plus the Annual (Especial 2001) whitch also contains original material.
Good to know - another one to add to the list!
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pmFrom my understanding of the editorials within, the stories were created for Marvel Italia, but I don't think the plan was only to use them in Italy and that they were only used in other European countries following the cancellation of Conan Il Conquistadore.
The perils of going on second hand information! It's necessary more often than I'd like when trying to track down information about stuff published round the world over so many decades, but increases the risk of errors.
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pm I think the plan was to create Conan stories for the European markets and publish it simultaneously in various European countries.
I always figured they'd republish it in other European countries - heck, I see that some of the new Spider-Man stories from the U.K.'s Spectacular Spider-Man got reprinted in Italy, and since Disney banned new material being produced in the U.K. in 2011 Panini has often re-used the material they produced prior to that in other publications, which can cause confusion for those hunting for new material.
Giant Ant wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:33 pm The Spanish #1 was published in October 1997. And from what I can see, the first stories printed in France were published in May 1997.

The story in the Spanish #14 seems to be the same that was published in Marvel Miniserie #36 in Italy (La Espada Y La Rosa in Spain), but I'm pretty sure it was published in Spain first. The issue was on sale in Spain in December 1998.
Sounds like I need to amend that bit too, though I'd prefer to do so only once I can confirm details of what got published where first.