Billy Ray Cyrus (1995)

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Billy Ray Cyrus (1995)

Post by vanhornluke »

This is listed in MCP's list of non-616 stories, but I don't see any good reason for doing so. It fits into 616 continuity as far as I can tell and it includes an appearance of Merlin.

BILLY RAY CYRUS (1995)

1st Story:
By Paul S. Newman

APPEARANCES:
Billy Ray Cyrus, Roam (horse), Gary, Karen, Cherokee war party, pioneers, U.S. Army, Lotta Flack, concertgoers, Billy Ray’s band, Ned, Jeff, mules, Sure Hand, Johnny Hawk, bear, Dan George, horses

FLASHBACK:
1795: A Cherokee war party attacks and takes a pioneer fort in Kentucky.
SYNOPSIS:
While riding his horse, Roam, to an old abandoned pioneer fort, Billy Ray Cyrus meets two teenagers, Gary and Karen, who also want to explore the fort. He invites them to his concert that night and afterward to go camping at the fort with him and his public relations director, Lotta Flack. That night, a group of Cherokee have plan to ceremonially reenact their ancestors’ conquest of the fort. Because of the darkness and a thick fog, both Billy Ray’s group and the Cherokee think the others are ghosts, but a hungry bear pushes the two groups together in the fort for shelter, which Billy Ray graciously surrenders to them.

NOTE:
I guess Billy Ray isn’t afraid of rumors of him taking teenagers out into the woods at night appearing in the tabloids.

2nd Story:
By Paul S. Newman

APPEARANCES:
Sir Billy Ray Cyrus, Billy Ray’s band, concertgoers, Andy, Heather, Al, Merlin, Andy and Heather’s parents, horses, knights, sheep, King Edward I, dogs, guards, the Beheader, shepherd, jester, Michael, Princess Huncamunca, court magician

SYNOPSIS:
Billy Ray and his band and crew leave one gig for another in Nashville. However, two siblings, Andy and Heather, stowaway on the bus hoping to get his autograph. During the night and a heavy fog, Merlin sends them all back in time to the year 1295. They arrive in England and are quickly captured and taken to King Edward I. The king had been told that strangers would arrive and slay a dragon, so he allows them to stay. After a joust and fighting off a group of attacking knights, Billy Ray is led by Princess Huncamunca to a cave in which a dragon is supposed to live. He finds that it’s simply a hot spring giving off steam, so he takes a fire extinguisher from his bus inside and sprays the spring. Everyone assumes the dragon has been killed and Billy Ray and co. are allowed to leave. They drive their bus back into the fog and return to the present.

NOTE:
Billy Ray is knighted by Edward I, so that means he should always be referred to as Sir Billy Ray Cyrus in 616.

Chronologies:

AL
BILLYRAYC/2

ANDY
BILLYRAYC/2

BEHEADER
BILLYRAYC/2

CYRUS, BILLY RAY
BILLYRAYC
BILLYRAYC/2

FLACK, LOTTA
BILLYRAYC

GARY
BILLYRAYC

GEORGE, DAN
BILLYRAYC

HAND, SURE
BILLYRAYC

HAWK, JOHNNY
BILLYRAYC

HEATHER
BILLYRAYC/2

JEFF
BILLYRAYC

KAREN
BILLYRAYC

KING EDWARD I
BILLYRAYC/2

MERLIN/MERLYN
XCAL 49
XCAL 50
*BILLYRAYC/2 (add)
XCAL 125
NXCAL 18-FB
UX 462

MICHAEL
BILLYRAYC/2

NED
BILLYRAYC

PRINCESS HUNCAMUNCA
BILLYRAYC/2

ROAM
BILLYRAYC
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Billy Ray Cyrus (1995)

Post by loki »

vanhornluke wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:43 pm NOTE:
Billy Ray is knighted by Edward I, so that means he should always be referred to as Sir Billy Ray Cyrus in 616.
Nope. As he's a citizen of a country that doesn't have the British monarch as its head of state, he's not entitled to use the honorific "Sir." Not sure when that rule came in, so he might have been allowed to do so back in Edward I's day, and probably could have done so during the period the original colonies were under British rule, but not any more.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Interesting. I didn't realize that. I wonder, if one was knighted back in the middle ages, did that make you an English citizen? And if so, would the contemporary 616 UK government still recognize that citizenship?
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

vanhornluke wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 pm Interesting. I didn't realize that. I wonder, if one was knighted back in the middle ages, did that make you an English citizen? And if so, would the contemporary 616 UK government still recognize that citizenship?
Doubt it on both fronts. On the first, I'd imagine you'd be expected to swear allegiance to the monarch and abandon any potentially conflicting allegiances to other monarchs/countires, effectively the current day equivalent of changing nationality. And on the latter, I'd imagine that even if the current UK government might be potentially amenable to such an unusual situation, any pre-existing U.K. citizenship still in force would be considered renounced when the U.S. declared its country, and all citizens of same, independent (or, at least, when the U.K. recognised that independence).