Top Ten #8

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Top Ten #8

Post by vanhornluke »

TOP TEN #8 (Jun 2000)
By Alan Moore

APPEARANCES:
Captain Albion, Captain England

NOTE:
There’s no need to summarize this, since it’s a non-Marvel story. However, it’s set in Neopolis, a place that advertises interdimensional travel. In one panel, Captains Albion and England have a cameo appearance. This appearance has been explicitly referenced in the Captain Britain Corps handbook entry, so I think it’s worth adding to their chronologies. I know that would be controversial, but lots of other non-Marvel stories have already been added to MCP (e.g., Crash Comics, Champ Comics, Lightning Comics), so I don’t see a need to overlook this appearance. But even if MCP decides not to list this, I thought it would be worth pointing out so at least it’s documented in the forum.

Chronologies:

CAPTAIN ENGLAND/HENRIC LOCKWOOD | EARTH-522
DDS 6
DDS 7
DDS 8
MWM/2 13
XCAL 44
XCAL 125
*TOPTEN 8 (add)

CAPTAIN ALBION/KATHERINE HUGGEN | EARTH-523
DDS 6
DDS 7
MWM/2 13
XCAL 43
XCAL 44
XCAL 45
XCAL 46
XCAL 47
*TOPTEN 8 (add)
X:DBS 3
X:DBS 5
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Top Ten #8

Post by loki »

The same panel that shows Captain England and Captain Albion also shows Rogue, Wild Child and Sabretooth from the Age of Apocalypse, and Nightmare hanging out with DC's Dream of the Endless. Plus what looks like Howard the Duck, falling from the sky. Plus others from DC and the like, not relevent to this discussion.
http://www.eslahoradelastortas.com/blog ... pagina.jpg

Normally I'd say cameos of characters in Top Ten are, at best, alternate reality versions of the individuals they resemble, but given this scene takes place in the Transworld Transport Terminus, specifically a place for otherdimensional visitors, and given that the individuals above have histories of interdimensional travel, they certainly could be the versions we're used to seeing in Marvel titles.

Additionally, Cobweb of the Special Executive also turns up in Top Ten, specifically in #6, when she is seen walking along the street alongside Alan Moore's other Cobweb, the one from America's Best Comics. As a member of a group whose whole schtick is travelling between realities, there's no reason it can't be the "real" Cobweb.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Interesting. I don't see why the other Marvel characters who cameo couldn't be the same versions we're used to, but the only ones I know have been officially confirmed are Captains Albion and England in the Corps' handbook entry. There are a number of other Marvel character cameos who appear in non-Marvel publications that could be the same versions we're used to, but only a few of them have been officially confirmed (to my knowledge).
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

vanhornluke wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 pm TOP TEN #8 (Jun 2000)

NOTE:
This appearance has been explicitly referenced in the Captain Britain Corps handbook entry,
Where was this?
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Russ Chappell wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:33 pm
vanhornluke wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 pm TOP TEN #8 (Jun 2000)

NOTE:
This appearance has been explicitly referenced in the Captain Britain Corps handbook entry,
Where was this?
Corps entry, second page, second column, end of the third paragraph.
"The two bailiffs at Saturnyne’s trial were Captain Albion of Earth-523, where England is still under Tudor rule and her benevolent empire extends over the Americas and most of Asia, and Captain England of Earth-522, an advanced world used to dealing with interdimensional travel which formerly housed Saturnyne’s Dimensional Development Council. From neighboring Earths, they are often to be found in each other’s company on missions across the Omniverse as far afield as Neopolis."

Obviously, it is entirely up to you guys whether to consider including Easter eggs cameos like this in non-Marvel titles. In most cases, I'd assume you wouldn't, and rightly so (e.g. there's no reason to believe either 616 Spider-Man, nor non-Marvel Garfield the cat, were genuinely once members of the Legion of Superheroes - though, now I mention it, that's one issue of Marvel Team-Up I'd like to read!). But in the cases of Captain England, Captain Albion and Cobweb, all of whom are (a) creations of Alan Moore, and (b) established interdimensional travellers, I think it's reasonable to treat their appearances in an Alan Moore series set in a world depicted as being commonly visited by interdimensional travellers as being legit parts of their histories.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Thanks, but I was asking, "Which handbook?" I found an entry for the Captain Britain Corps in the Alternate Universe book, but didn't see any reference to this story.

In any case, I would call that IMplicitly referenced, rather than EXplicitly referenced.
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Russ Chappell wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 am Thanks, but I was asking, "Which handbook?" I found an entry for the Captain Britain Corps in the Alternate Universe book, but didn't see any reference to this story.
It was in the hardcovers, issue 2 or 3 (can't recall which one the Corps entry fell into). Like many entries in the hardcover, there was extra space added to allow for updates and expansions.
Russ Chappell wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 amIn any case, I would call that IMplicitly referenced, rather than EXplicitly referenced.
Entirely reasonable. To be fair, there wasn't much of an appearance to reference.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Yeah, it's in the Corps' entry in the handbook hardcovers, #2. A lot of easter egg cameos are just sort of "wink, wink" things that aren't supposed to be taken seriously (like the above example of Spider-Man with the Justice League). However, this cameo has been referenced in the handbooks, and it makes perfect sense, so I don't see why it shouldn't be included in their chronologies.