Mother Teresa of Calcutta #1 (1984)

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Mother Teresa of Calcutta #1 (1984)

Post by vanhornluke »

MOTHER TERESA OF CALCUTTA #1 (1984)
By David Michelinie

APPEARANCES:
Nicholas Bugatti, soldiers, Marty, Mother Teresa/Gonxha Bojaxhiu, Lebanese children, Red Cross workers, Cribbins, Skopje townspeople, Nicola Bojaxhiu, Dronda Bojaxhiu, Catholic priests, horses, Lazar Bojaxhiu, Aga Bojaxhiu, nuns, plane passengers, Indians, dog, Indian soldiers, vultures, Pope Pius Xii (bts), Michael Gomes, Archbishop Perier (bts), Dr. Ahmed, patients, Ann Blaikie, National Council of Catholic Women, Eileen Egan, Missionary Brothers of Charity, Co-Workers, Jawaharlal Nehru, Pope Paul VI, Pope John XXIII, Prince Philip Mountbatten

SYNOPSIS:
Nick Bugatti, reporter, is assigned a story on Mother Teresa’s efforts to save refugees in Beirut. In order to understand her motivations, he researches her entire life history and then visits her in person. Until personally seeing her treat the sick and children, he couldn’t really understand that the reason she has done so much is that she cares.

NOTE:
No one in the audience when Mother Teresa accepts the Nobel Peace Prize is named, but I would bet some more historical figures could be added as being off-panel if one wanted to do the research.

Chronologies:

AHMED, DOCTOR
MTERESA 1-FB

BLAIKIE, ANN
MTERESA 1-FB

BOJAXHIU, AGA
MTERESA 1-FB

BOJAXHIU, DRONDA
MTERESA 1-FB

BOJAXHIU, LAZAR
MTERESA 1-FB

BOJAXHIU, NICOLA
MTERESA 1-FB

BUGATTI, NICHOLAS
MTERESA 1

CRIBBINS
MTERESA 1-FB

EGAN, EILEEN
MTERESA 1-FB

GOMES, MICHAEL
MTERESA 1-FB

MARTY
MTERESA 1

MOTHER TERESA/GONXHA BOJAXHIU
MTERESA 1-FB
MTERESA 1

NEHRU, JAWAHARLAL
MTERESA 1-FB

PERIER, ARCHBISHOP
MTERESA 1-FB-BTS

POPE JOHN XXIII/ANGELO GIUSEPPE RONCALLI
MTERESA 1-FB

*POPE PAUL VI/GIOVANNI BATTISTA ENRICO ANTONIO MARIA MONTINI (add full name)
*MTERESA 1-FB (add)
*{LOPJPII 1-FB} (add brackets)
NAM 11-BTS

POPE PIUS XII/EUGENIO MARIA GIUSUPPE GIOVANNI PACELLI
MTERESA 1-FB-BTS

*PRINCE PHILIP MOUNTBATTEN (add last name)
*MTERESA 1-FB (add)
CB 37
CB 38
CB 39
lettsmonster
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Mother Teresa of Calcutta #1 (1984)

Post by lettsmonster »

Consulting the FAQ section of the MCP, both Mother Teresa and the Life of Pope John Paul II are already considered "non-canon".

I would consider these two stories to be biographies of individuals on our earth, not Earth 616. I am guessing that is why they are out of continuity.
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by ShadZ »

vanhornluke wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:39 pm NOTE:
No one in the audience when Mother Teresa accepts the Nobel Peace Prize is named, but I would bet some more historical figures could be added as being off-panel if one wanted to do the research.
Adding people who are behind the scenes at historical events seems like a bad precedent to start...

Shad
ShadZ
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

ShadZ wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am Adding people who are behind the scenes at historical events seems like a bad precedent to start...
"Oh, please! If every vampire who said he was at the crucifixion was actually there, it would have been like Woodstock."
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

loki wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:16 am
ShadZ wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am Adding people who are behind the scenes at historical events seems like a bad precedent to start...
"Oh, please! If every vampire who said he was at the crucifixion was actually there, it would have been like Woodstock."
:lol:

Honestly, though, I don't see why it would be a bad precedent. A lot of work, maybe, but I don't see what would be "bad" about it, at least if it's characters who also have other appearances. I'm not advocating that this be done, but I don't understand the resistance to it.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

loki wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:16 am "Oh, please! If every vampire who said he was at the crucifixion was actually there, it would have been like Woodstock."
"I was actually at Woodstock. That was a weird gig. I fed off a flowerperson, and I spent the next six hours watchin' my hand move."
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

lettsmonster wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:50 pm Consulting the FAQ section of the MCP, both Mother Teresa and the Life of Pope John Paul II are already considered "non-canon".

I would consider these two stories to be biographies of individuals on our earth, not Earth 616. I am guessing that is why they are out of continuity.
I don't see any particular reason to consider them non-616. Other straight retellings of historical events from various 40s/50s anthology series are 616, so why not these? Also, marvunapp considers the Pope issue to be 616 on its Hitler page.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

vanhornluke wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 pm marvunapp considers the Pope issue to be 616 on its Hitler page.
What's your point?

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Russ Chappell wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:45 pm
vanhornluke wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:10 pm marvunapp considers the Pope issue to be 616 on its Hitler page.
What's your point?
Just that they don't see any reason to not consider it 616, and some of those guys also write for the handbooks. It's not proof that it's 616, but just another example of others well-versed in Marvel continuity that don't see any reason to think it's not 616.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

shrug. Some of the guys here write for the handbooks, too. And for the Index.

But both that site and this one are just fan sites. I doubt Marvel looks at either site, to determine what's 616. I don't believe Jeff looks at things over here and says, "Well, that's the way they say it, so we'll say it that way, too." Jeff and his folks read the books and come to their own conclusions. That's the way we do it, too. And it's not absurd that we could come to two different conclusions.

And yes, I know you're not saying that we should judge it "canon" because the UNOFFICIAL appendix says it's canon. But it's just odd to use an unofficial fan site as supporting evidence for your contention of what should appear in a second unofficial fan site.

Let's have a test. You (or anyone) could as easily go to the appendix and say, "You shouldn't treat Mother Teresa of Calcutta as canon/616, because the Marvel Chronology Project (created by guys who work on the index, and are well-versed in Marvel continuity) says that they don't see any reason to think it's 616." See what kind of response you get. See if it's not something like what I've said here.

vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

I was just pointing out some other well-informed people who agree with me, for whatever that's worth (which may not be much). Just out of curiosity, what is the reasoning for MCP excluding The Life of Pope John Paul II #1 and Mother Teresa of Calcutta #1?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

616 stories are intended to be fiction. These two books are intended to be factual.

loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Russ Chappell wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 pm 616 stories are intended to be fiction. These two books are intended to be factual.
vanhornluke
Major Player
Major Player

Post by vanhornluke »

Russ Chappell wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:28 pm 616 stories are intended to be fiction. These two books are intended to be factual.
But there are plenty of factual retellings of historical events and persons in the 40s/50s anthologies that are still considered 616.
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

vanhornluke wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 pm But there are plenty of factual retellings of historical events
?