Spider-Man 2099 meets Spider-Man

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Spider-Man 2099 meets Spider-Man

Post by Starman »

Spider-Man 2099 meets Spider-Man (1995/11)

Writer: Peter David
Pencils: Rick Leonardi
Inker: Al Williamson

Appearances of Earth-616 characters:
  • Spider-Man
  • Mary Jane
  • J Jonah Jameson
  • Robbie Robertson
  • Venom
Appearances of 2099 characters:
  • Spider-Man 2099
  • Tyler Stone
  • Hikaru
  • Vulture 2099
  • Kasey Nash
  • Gabriel O'Hara
  • Lyla
Appearances of 2211 characters:
  • Hobgoblin 2211
  • Spider-Man 2211
Brief Syopsis:
Peter Parker as Spider-Man suddenly appear in New York the year of 2099, and Miguel O'Hara wakes up in bed next to Mary Jane. He hurries out of the appartment, puts on his costume, and starts web-slinging through Manhattan. Peter Parker in the future fights against flyboys and Vulture 2099, while Miguel in the present both fights against JJJ and Venom and finds out he's on the same day an event that created his future occured. Eventually Peter Parker and Miguel O'Hara meets and gets pulled into the year 2211. There they fight Hobgoblin 2211, and Spider-Man 2211 comes and makes things right. Back in their own times the future of Peter Parker timeline and the past of Miguel O'Hara's timeline have changed so that their timelines no longer diverge on that day.

References/Remarks:
Note from the editor claims that the story occurs before Spectacular Spider-Man #226. As Peter Parker has the Scarlet Spider costume from the end of Spectacular Spider-Man #224 until Spectacular Spider-Man #225 where Mary Jane has made him a new Spider-Man costume, and is in jail before that, it has to occur after Spectacular Spider-Man #225. As Spectacular Spider-Man #226 is a part of a storyline beginning in Web of Spider-Man #126, the best placement would be between Spectacular Spider-Man #225 and Web of Spider-Man #126.

For Spider-Man 2099 the placement is much more difficult. As Gabriel O'Hara knows that Spider-Man 2099 is his older brother Miguel the story has to occur after Spider-Man 2099 #3. As Miguel O'Hara knows that his younger brother Gabriel knows he is Spider-Man 2099 the story has to occur after Spider-Man #20. Kasey is kidnapped by Stark-Fujikawa while Miguel and Gabriel is in cyber-space from #18-21, outfitted with a cybernetic armour, then kidnapped by Alchemax and not released until Spider-Man 2099 #26, the story can't occur until after that. Miguel left for vacation in the beginning of S-M 2099 #27, without having met the returned Kasey yet, and did not return to New York until S-M 2099 #34. As the flyboys are replaced by SHIELD in S-M 2099 #34, the most fitting spot to place this story is after the flashback of Gabriel's phone call to Miguel in S-M 2099 #27, and before Miguel leaves New York. That is between the flashback in S-M 2099 #27 and the rest of the issue.

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER
[...]
ASMU 9
WOSM 125
ASM 402
S-M 59
PPTSS 225
***Spider-Man 2099 meets Spider-Man***
WOSM 126
ASM 403
S-M 60
PPTSS 226
[...]

WATSON-PARKER, MARY JANE
[...]
ASMU 9
WOSM 125
ASM 402
S-M 59
PPTSS 225
WOSM 126
ASM 403
S-M 60
PPTSS 226
[...]

JAMESON, J. JONAH
[...]
ASMU 9
PPTSS 225
PPTSS 225/2
PPTSS 226
[...]

ROBERTSON, JOE "ROBBIE"
[...]
ASMU 9
GG 2
PPTSS 225
PPTSS 226
[...]

VENOM
[...]
V:CU 1
V:CU 2
V:CU 3
V:CU 4
V:STA 1
V:STA 2
V:STA 3
V:STA 4
V:STA 5
[...]

BROCK, EDDIE
[...]
V:CU 1
V:CU 2
V:CU 3
V:CU 4
V:STA 1
V:STA 2
V:STA 3
V:STA 4
V:STA 5
[...]

SPIDER-MAN 2099/MIGUEL O'HARA
[...]
Spider-Man 2099 #26
Spider-Man 2099 #27 - flashback
Spider-Man 2099 #27
[...]

STONE, TYLER
[...]
Spider-Man 2099 #26
Spider-Man 2099 #29
[...]

HIKARU
[...]
Spider-Man 2099 #26
[...]

VULTURE 2099
[...]
Spider-Man 2099 #8
[...]

NASH, KASEY
[...]
Spider-Man 2099 #26
Spider-Man 2099 #27
[...]

O'HARA, GABRIEL
[...]
Spider-Man 2099 #26
Spider-Man 2099 #27 - flashback
Spider-Man 2099 #27
[...]

LYLA
[...]
Spider-Man 2099 #26
Spider-Man 2099 #27
[...]

HOBGOBLIN 2211
[...]
[...]

SPIDER-MAN 2211
[...]
[...]
Last edited by Starman on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Spider-Man 2099 meets Spider-Man

Post by JephYork »

Don't forget, Hobgoblin 2211 recently returned in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man...

-Jeph!
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

jephyork wrote:Don't forget, Hobgoblin 2211 recently returned in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man...

-Jeph!
Unfortunately I do not have those Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man issues.
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by michaelyuri »

Starman wrote:
jephyork wrote:Don't forget, Hobgoblin 2211 recently returned in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man...

-Jeph!
Unfortunately I do not have those Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man issues.
The FNSM issues are included in the chronologies for the 2211 characters (Hobgoblin, Spider-Man, & Chameleon) at the end of my 2099 chronologies: http://chronologyproject.com/phpbb2/vie ... f=2&t=3357

-Mike
michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by michaelyuri »

Starman wrote: For Spider-Man 2099 the placement is much more difficult. As Gabriel O'Hara knows that Spider-Man 2099 is his older brother Miguel the story has to occur after Spider-Man 2099 #3. As Miguel O'Hara knows that his younger brother Gabriel knows he is Spider-Man 2099 the story has to occur after Spider-Man #20. Kasey is kidnapped by Stark-Fujikawa while Miguel and Gabriel is in cyber-space from #18-21, outfitted with a cybernetic armour, then kidnapped by Alchemax and not released until Spider-Man 2099 #26, the story can't occur until after that. As Miguel left for vacation in the beginning of S-M 2099 #27, without having met the returned Kasey yet, and did not return to New York until S-M #34. The only spot to where to place this story might work seems to be somewhere in between right after Miguel returns to New York and right before Tyler Stone is shot by Conchata, as Tyler Stone seems to be alright in the story, and in a wheel chair in the S-M 2009 issues after he got shot.
I'm not sure about your 2099 placement. By the time Miguel returns to New York from his roadtrip in SM2099 #34, the One Nation Under Doom storyline is underway. But Spider-Man 2099 Meets Spider-Man seems to be a pre-Doom takeover story. Peter Parker is being chased by Public Eye flyboys -- after Doom's takeover the police are SHIELD agents. Tyler Stone and Hikaru are rival CEOs in this story rather than both working for Doom.

Of course, placing it earlier is problematic for the reasons you noted. I still think it can be shoehorned in between SM2099 #26 & #27. The only difficulty is Kasey Nash, but I think we can work around this. Toward the end of #26, Kasey is returned and Gabe finds her unconscious. In #27, we see her wake up and it's implied that she's been unconscious since the previous issue, but this is never said explicitly. We could assume she was up and about between issues and is just waking up from her normal sleep in #27.

Issue #27 does imply that it continues pretty directly from the events of #26, but unfortunately this is true for practically the entire Spider-Man 2099 run. The events run together pretty tightly leaving very few gaps to squeeze in Spider-Man's appearances in other books.
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

How about shoehorning it in between issue 31 and 32? They make a quickie home to New York before going to Mexico City? Would that work?
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by michaelyuri »

Starman wrote:How about shoehorning it in between issue 31 and 32? They make a quickie home to New York before going to Mexico City? Would that work?
Yeah, I think that would work. I'll take another look at those issues to see if I see any problems, but that seems like a pretty decent solution.
-Mike
michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by michaelyuri »

michaelyuri wrote:
Starman wrote:How about shoehorning it in between issue 31 and 32? They make a quickie home to New York before going to Mexico City? Would that work?
Yeah, I think that would work. I'll take another look at those issues to see if I see any problems, but that seems like a pretty decent solution.
Unfortunately, this won't work. Gabriel and Kasey leave on a flight to Mexico in #29 and are shown arriving in Mexico City in #30. I think the gap between #26 & #27 is still the best fit.
michaelyuri wrote:In #27, we see her wake up and it's implied that she's been unconscious since the previous issue, but this is never said explicitly. We could assume she was up and about between issues and is just waking up from her normal sleep in #27.
After looking at #27 again, Kasey's situation is not as clear cut as I had thought. In the flashback sequence where Gabriel is talking to Miguel, he says, "Kasey's back! They just let her go!", but then in the next panel he says, "And she's being nice to me! I'm not sure why, but she is!" When Gabe found her at the end of #26 she had collapsed and didn't say anything, and this conversation happens before we see her waking up in Gabe's apartment. So when was she "being nice" to him? She must have been awake sometime between when Gabe finds her in #26 and when we see her wake up in #27.
-Mike
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

How about having "Spider-Man 2099 meets Spider-Man" between the flashback in SM2009 27 and the rest of the issue?

Like this:
[...]
SM2009 26
SM2009 27-FB
SM2009 27
[...]
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

I've now edited the analysis to reflect this new placement.

Next issues to analyze: Spider-Man: Hobgoblin Lives #1-3
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):