Avengers Annual 2001, story 2

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Avengers Annual 2001, story 2

Post by Somebody »

AVENGERS ANNUAL 2001, story 2
Writers: Kurt Busiek
Art: Ian Churchill

"Jarvis the Butler: House Cleaning"

Cast:
JARVIS, EDWIN
FREEMAN, DUANE JEROME-BTS
GARSEN, GLORIA "GLORY"-BTS

Summary:
Jarvis gets a series of e-mails from Duane Freeman. The Avengers are away, and it forces him to call to delay a date with "Glory" since the Avengers are away and someone needs to deal with them (we don't hear her side of the call).

The first e-mail is about aftereffects of the Crossing & Onslaught, asking why isn't the Wasp an insect and why isn't Iron Man in jail for murder.

From page 2 onwards, there's a series of flashback panels. The first two and a half pages' worth don't appear to be new material, and I'll list them in summary here by page:panel, and not in the character listing below.
2:2) A generic pose of Crossing-Iron Man, no helmet, yelling
2:3) Iron Man kills Rita deMara
2:4) Iron Man's just killed Marilla
2:5) Iron Man's just killed Amanda Chaney
2:6) Iron Man's about to zap the (human) Wasp
3:1) Insect-Wasp bursts out of her coccoon
3:2) Captain America declares "It's all over, Avengers. He's gone" over Iron Man's dead body; with Wasp in the background
3:3) Teen Tony says "Hey Jarv -- what it is" to Jarvis while using something that looks like a cross between a paintbrush and a Sonic Screwdriver on a bit of glass.
3:4) Iron Boy whacks Holocaust
4:1) Iron Boy & Insect-Wasp fly into Onslaught, a purple cape fluttering behind them. This is wrong - Wasp was beside Giant-Man, and Iron Boy was clutching Doctor Doom (I presume that's meant to he his cape, miscoloured) tightly as he flew in separately.

Now, we hit definite-new-material flashbacks:

FB: pg4:2-4:3
App: Iron Man

Iron Man falls back into the MU at the end of the events of Heroes Reborn: The Return #4 (we don't see him land there, just Sue Richards & Franklin). A few minutes later, still in HReborn armour, but without helmet or gloves, he looks in the water at his reflection and freaks out at remembering "three lives".

FB: pg4:4
App: Iron Man, Captain America, Giant-Man, Wasp

This appears to be on the day of the events of Avengers v3 #1, slightly before we pick up with them there. There's no Thor, Giant-Man's in his Ant-Manesque costume, Wasp's in the costume she wore in the first part of A3 1, and Iron Man's in the variant Chen/Ross (HReturn) armour, with the glowy bits back to front, that appeared only in the first few issues of A3 & TB 11-12.

Cap tries to calm Tony down, but Tony's still a bit freaked out.

FB: pg4:5
App: Iron Man, Happy Hogan

Iron Man checks his own grave, and finds the body vapourised and traces of energy also present in his system.

----

In present-day, Jarvis types that they can only presume Franklin dunnit, and that "the Iron Man who killed those women while under someone else's control, and the Iron Man who replaced him...are both dead and gone...and that neither Tony Stark nor the present Iron Man would rest if there was any continuing question of guilt"

Cue another FB...

----

FB: pg5:5-6:4 (6:L)
App: Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow (?), Wasp (?)

Iron Man's still in the variant Chen/Ross armour
Thor's clean-shaven
Cap has his shield
Hawkeye's in his normal costume
On the two women, I'm fairly sure about both, but you can't see much of their costumes to confirm - Wasp has the same hairstyle as the first few A3 issues, and the other is a woman with long, straight, bright-red hair and (from what little can be seen) a skintight black costume which fits the Widow best by far.
Iron Man walks off swearing to do something about being mind-controlled

Problem: Thor kept his beard until after Cap lost his shield (and after Cap gave up on the shield IM made for him). My gut says place it before CA3 2, since "Thor shaved, regrew a beard, shaved again and kept shaving thereafter", while awkward, is less so than the alternative. With that in mind, and the fact that Iron Man has the tech in TB 12 he's swearing to create here, I suggest placing 4:5 & 5:5-6:4 between A3 3 & TB 11.

Basically, Iron Man convened a court-martial, they say he was being mind-controlled and it doesn't count, and "the authorities" are going along with what they say.

---

After that, Jarvis tells Freeman that Cap's shield has no adamantium in it, with montage of seeming-no-new-material panels:

7:3) Generic figure of Cap
7:4) Myron Maclain pours the metal for Cap's shield into the mould
7:5) Cap's shield, now painted, is held by a moustached army guy with Maclain behind him.
8:1) Thor cracks the cylinder of adamantium that would later become Ultron-6's body with his hammer with a "SKAANNG"

And, finally, he tells him that Falcon isn't a mutant. Then gets another e-mail we don't see, and moans he'll never get to dinner.

Notes (framing sequence):
The "Glory" Jarvis phones to delay a date with is, from my interwebz searching, Gloria Garsen, a character created by Walt Simonson for Avengers #298 - but she doesn't have a MCP listing. Can anyone check the Appendix's appearances for her so we can create one? I don't have the issues on that page to check for myself, and thus am not going to give a listing for her below.

Duane Freeman dies during the Kang War, and this appears to predate it. So I suggest between A3 40 & 41 (USA2 3 and A:CQ 1 for Jarvis) for the framing sequence.

Listings

So, assuming none of the panels that I think are repeats are actually new material...

JARVIS, EDWIN
[...]
A3 39
USA2 3
*A@ 2001/2
A:CQ 1
A3 41
[...]

FREEMAN, DUANE JEROME
[...]
A3 38
*A@ 2001/2-BTS
(end of listing)

IRON MAN/ANTHONY EDWARD "TONY" STARK
[...]
HR:R 4
*A@ 2001/2-FB (4:2-4:3)
H2 462
IM3 1
IM3 2-FB
IM3 2
IM3 3
*A@ 2001/2-FB (4:4)
A3 1
A3 2
A3 3
*A@ 2001/2-FB (4:5)
*A@ 2001/2-FB (5:5-6:4)
TB 11
[...]

CAPTAIN AMERICA/STEVEN "STEVE" ROGERS/"STEVEN GRANT ROGERS" (naming correction)
[...]
TB 10-FB
A3 1
A3 2
A3 3
TB 11
[...]

WASP/JANET VAN DYNE PYM
[...]
TB 10-FB
A3 1
A3 2
A3 3
TB 11
[...]

GIANT-MAN/HANK PYM
[...]
TB 10-BTS
A3 1
[...]

THOR/THOR ODINSON/"DR. DONALD BLAKE"/"SIGURD JARLSON II"/"JAKE OLSON"/"LOREN OLSON" [ASGARDIAN] (naming correction)
[...]
A3 3
TB 11
[...]

HAWKEYE/CLINT BARTON
[...]
A3 3
TB 11
[...]

HOGAN, HAROLD J. "HAPPY"
[...]
IM3 3
*A@ 2001/2-FB (4:5)
IM3 4
[...]

BLACK WIDOW II/NATALIA ALIANOVNA ROMANOVA/"NATASHA ROMANOFF" (naming correction)
[...]
A3 3
CA3 3
[...]
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Avengers Annual 2001, story 2

Post by Col_Fury »

Somebody wrote:I don't have the issues on that page to check for myself, and thus am not going to give a listing for her below.
I do, and here we go:

GARSEN, GLORY
A 298
A 325
A@ '99-FB
A@ 2001/2-BTS

Also:
Somebody wrote:7:4) Myron Maclain pours the metal for Cap's shield into the mould
You're right, this IS NOT new information. However this:
Somebody wrote:7:5) Cap's shield, now painted, is held by a moustached army guy with Maclain behind him.
This IS new information.(in CA 303-FB we only see the shield in it's discus shape, this is the first time we see it painted) So:

MACLAIN, DR. MYRON
CA 303-FB
*A@ 2001/2-FB
W2 -1

That's all I got. Thanks Somebody!
-Daron Jensen