the TWELVE 5

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

the TWELVE 5

Post by Col_Fury »

the Twelve #5
July, 2008

Appearances:
Black Widow(Claire Voyant), Blue Blade(Roy Chambers), Captain Wonder(Professor Steve Jordan), Dynamic Man(Curt Cowan), Electro… Marvel of the Age!(robot), Fiery Mask(Dr. Jack Castle), Laughing Mask(Dennis Burton), Master Mind Excello(Earl Everett), Phantom Reporter(Dick Jones), the Witness(?), Colonel Dexter, Ms. Zogolowski

Synopsis:
pg1-pg3pn1
The Witness hangs out at Bunche’s Diner and chats with the waitress. She turns on the news to see a clip of Dynamic Man.
Pg3pn2-pg4pn2-FB
Dynamic Man helps a S.W.A.T. team defeat a terrorist cell in New Jersey. Afterwards at a press conference, he hails J. Edgar Hoover as a man’s man.
Pg4pn3-pg4pn6
The waitress makes fun of Dynamic Man’s comment, then the Witness tells his story...
Pg5-pg6pn1-FB
A Chicago policeman shoots an innocent man, because he didn’t wait to see what was going on. His badge was taken and he was sent to prison for two years. When he was released, he couldn’t get a job and was starving in alleyways.
Pg6pn2-pg6pn3
The Witness explains he did the only thing he could do: kill himself.
Pg6pn4-FB
Between life and death, a voice speaks to him: he will be given another chance, but to save his soul he must separate good from evil as he failed to do before his death.
Pg6pn5-pg8
The Witness explains that he’s shown a glimpse of something terrible that will happen, and he has to find out if the terrible thing is deserved or not. If it is, he witnesses it, if not, he has to prevent it. He then steps outside to watch an old man get run over by a bus on Yancy Street.(the old man was a prison guard at Auschwitz, as it turns out)
Pg9-pg23: the next day
Dynamic Man tells the group that he’s working with the FBI again, and starts a fight with Captain Wonder. Meanwhile, Professor Zog’s daughter Ms. Zogolowski attempts to gain possession of Electro, but is given the cold shoulder by Col. Dexter. Elsewhere, the Blue Blade auditions for the networks and is given his own show.(even though his act is filled with terrible wife jokes) Prof. Jordan gives his first motivational talk to youngsters, and is shocked by the realities they face every day. Afterwards, Dynamic Man gives him a speech explaining why he started a fight earlier, but Captain Wonder tells him to go away. Later, the Laughing Mask tries to pair up with the Phantom Reporter as a crime-fighting duo, but he’s arrested for a gangster’s murder from 1940. Elsewhere, Prof. Jordan suits up as Captain Wonder and flies off into the night.

References:
No Rockman or Mister E. this issue.

It's been 'days' since any of the group has seen the Black Widow.

Rats. I was hoping we would find out the Witness’s real name. Oh well. It’s not stated which prison he was in for two years, but it looks a lot like Joliet State Penitentiary, for those interested.

A great big old thanks to wolframbane for pointing out some Golden Age appearances to me. What he’s found lines up with what I’ve been able to dig up, but I won’t be able to see the issues myself until Masterworks are released. I’ll include them in my suggestions:

BLACK WIDOW/CLAIRE VOYANT
[MYSTIC COMICS 4/5]
[MYSTIC COMICS 5/5]
[MYSTIC COMICS 7/3]
[USA COMICS 5/2]
MARVELS 1
[ALL SELECT COMICS 1/5]
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5

BLUE BLADE/ROY CHAMBERS
[USA COMICS 5/5]
TWELVE 1 (1-21)
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5
TWELVE 1 (22)-BTS
TWELVE 2-BTS

CAPTAIN WONDER/PROFESSOR STEVE JORDAN
[KID KOMICS 1]
[KID KOMICS 2]
TWELVE 2-FB-FB
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5

DYNAMIC MAN/CURT COWAN
[MYSTIC COMICS 1/7]
[MYSTIC COMICS 2/3]
[MYSTIC COMICS 3/8]
[MYSTIC COMICS 4/8]
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5-FB
*TWELVE 5

ELECTRO/PROFESSOR PHILO ZOG
MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 4/5
MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 5/5
MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 6/5
MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 7/5
MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 8/5
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 9/4]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 10/5]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 11/7]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 12/5]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 13/5]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 14/6]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 15/6]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 16/3]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 17/2]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 18/5]
[MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS 19/5]
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5
(Zog is dead and does not make an appearance in this issue, his name is just there as a placeholder until we see what happens with the Electro robot)

FIERY MASK/DR. JACK CASTLE
TWELVE 3 (16:3)-FB
TWELVE 3 (16:5-17:1)-FB
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 1 (1-6:5)
TWELVE 3 (17:2-17:3)-FB
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 1 (6:6-7:3)
TWELVE 3 (17:4-18:2)-FB
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 1 (7:4-8)
TWELVE 3 (18:3)-FB
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 1 (9-10)
[DARING MYSTERY COMICS 5]
[DARING MYSTERY COMICS 6]
HUMAN TORCH 2/6
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5

LAUGHING MASK/DENNIS BURTON
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 2/6
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 3/3 (as the Purple Mask)
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 4 (as the Purple Mask)
TWELVE 3 (13:3-13:4)-FB
TWELVE 3 (14:3-14:5)-FB
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4-FB
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5

MASTER MIND EXCELLO/EARL EVERETT
[MYSTIC COMICS 2]
[MYSTIC COMICS 3/5]
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5

MISTER E./VICTOR J. GOLDSTEIN/”VICTOR JAY”
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 2/5
TWELVE 3 (7:4-7:5)-FB
TWELVE 3 (6:2)-FB
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3 (1-9)
TWELVE 3 (21:2)-FB
TWELVE 3 (21:4)-FB
TWELVE 3 (10-23)
TWELVE 4

PHANTOM REPORTER/DICK JONES
DARING MYSTERY COMICS 3/4
TWELVE 2-FB-FB
TWELVE 1 (1-21)
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5
TWELVE 1 (22)
TWELVE 2

ROCKMAN
USA COMICS 1/4
USA COMICS 2/5
USA COMICS 3/5
USA COMICS 4/6
TWELVE 4-FB
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4

WITNESS/
*TWELVE 5-FB
[MYSTIC COMICS 7/2]
[MYSTIC COMICS 8/4]
[MYSTIC COMICS 9/2]
TWELVE 1
TWELVE 2-FB
TWELVE 3
TWELVE 4
*TWELVE 5

Thanks again, wolframbane!
-Daron Jensen
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: the TWELVE 5

Post by wolframbane »

Col_Fury wrote: Thanks again, wolframbane!
You're very welcome!! :)
Col_Fury wrote:Rats. I was hoping we would find out the Witness’s real name. Oh well. It’s not stated which prison he was in for two years, but it looks a lot like Joliet State Penitentiary, for those interested.
For some reason I was thinking Shawshank Redemption.

Ms. Zogolowski is Prof Zog's daughter eh. If he truly did die in 1945, she looks awful young to be his kid. SHe would have to be at leats in her sixties now.

I find it interesting that Laughing Mask was arrested for murder back in 1940. Pretty much the entirety of the Twelve were killer vigilantes. Although Laughing Mask did kill his opponents execution style.