Wolverine: Origins 29

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wolverine: Origins 29

Post by Col_Fury »

Wolverine: Origins #29
Original Sin prelude
Original Sin Part 1
Original Sin Part 2
Original Sin Part 3
December, 2008

Appearances:
Wolverine, Professor X, Ms. Sinister(Claudine Renko), Sebastian Shaw, Daken(Akihiro), Castlemere(Armor Guy), Mr. Scholl(Lion Guy), Energy Lady

FlashBack Appearances:
Wolverine, Professor X; Sebastian Shaw, Castlemere

Synopsis:
Pg1-pg14
Ms. Sinister & Shaw chat while Daken chills out. Meanwhile, Wolverine fights the Hellfire Club folks. He blows up their telepathy blocker and kills Mr. Scholl.(the Lion Guy) Ms. Sinister reacts to the psychic explosion and tells Shaw. Castlemere dies and the Energy Lady runs off. Wolverine regroups with Xavier and they chat.
Pg15pn1-pg16pn4-FB: GSX 1
Wolverine has calmed down, he and Xavier talk about why he’s here. Xavier explains that Wolverine has been programmed, and even though he knew that Wolverine would try to kill him he let him in his house anyway, because Xavier needed a weapon like Wolverine on his side.
Pg16pn5(of 5)-pg19
Hellfire Club guards attack, Wolverine fights them off.
Pg20pn1-pg20pn2-FB
Shortly after Sunspot quit as Lord Imperial of the Hellfire Club, Shaw & Castlemere argue over who should replace him.
Pg20pn3-pg21pn1
Wolverine and Xavier chat.
Pg21pn2-pg22-FB: GSX 1
Xavier offers to remove all of Wolverine’s programming. Wolverine has trepidations, he might not remember who he is. Xavier says don’t worry about it.

References:
To be continued in X-Men: Legacy #218!

There’s a FlashBack within a FlashBack that reveals Xavier monitored Wolverine’s fight with the Hulk. This doesn’t add any new information to Wolverine’s chronology, it just reveals that Xavier is BTS in H2 181.

Apparently, Wolverine’s amnesia was caused by Xavier, even though I thought it was caused by his experience in the Weapon X project. However, as revealed in W: O 28 Wolverine was still working for Romulus when he fought the Hulk, so he had to still have his memory after the Weapon X project.

Some placement suggestions:

WOLVERINE/”LOGAN”/JAMES HOWLETT

AF 52 (4:2-4:5) -FB
X: OS 1 (3:1-3:3)-FB
X: OS 1 (24:2)-FB
X 217-FB
*W: O 29-FB
GSX 3
X: OS 1 (1:2-2)-FB
GSX 1 (14 - 15:2)

PROFESSOR X/CHARLES FRANCIS XAVIER

CA 175
X: DG 5/2
*H2 181-BTS |cf W: O 29|
M/TU 23-BTS
DEF 15
GSX 1 (12:2 - 13:8)
X: OS 1 (3:1-3:3)-FB
X: OS 1 (24:2)-FB
X 217-FB
*W: O 29-FB
GSX 3-BTS
X: OS 1 (2)-FB
GSX 1 (14 - 15:2)
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Wolverine: Origins 29

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:Apparently, Wolverine’s amnesia was caused by Xavier, even though I thought it was caused by his experience in the Weapon X project. However, as revealed in W: O 28 Wolverine was still working for Romulus when he fought the Hulk, so he had to still have his memory after the Weapon X project.
*tries to work out exactly how many comics this contradicts*

I'd need to have a proper look for examples, but UX 140-FB at one end of Wolverine history (where a just-recivilised Wolverine violently laments to Mac & Heather Hudson that he doesn't know who he is and storms out) and W:FC 5-FB at the near end leap instantly to mind. Larry Hama's Wolverine run would be another place to look, plus the First Flight special and a few dozen Wolverine one-shots and minis over the years.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Xavier mentions in Legacy 217-FB that Wolverine's brain had been broken and programmed many times, but that was in reference to his being programmed by Romulus. As for his memory...
Somebody wrote:I'd need to have a proper look for examples, but UX 140-FB at one end of Wolverine history (where a just-recivilised Wolverine violently laments to Mac & Heather Hudson that he doesn't know who he is and storms out) and W:FC 5-FB at the near end leap instantly to mind. Larry Hama's Wolverine run would be another place to look, plus the First Flight special and a few dozen Wolverine one-shots and minis over the years.
Aha! I knew I didn't assume the Weapon X project was responsible, it's been established all over the place. There are the examples you mentioned, and there's also the Before the Fantastic Four: Ben Grimm mini, Alpha Flight -1, & Wolverine -1 off the top of MY head. Thanks!

Hrmn. I suppose it's possible that Wolverine would have misgivings about Xavier messing with his head because he just went through dealing with amnesia, and he didn't want to forget the life he's lived since being found naked by the Hudsons. So while Xavier might have made Wolverine forget a few things, he still wouldn't be the cause of his Amnesia.
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Col_Fury wrote:
There’s a FlashBack within a FlashBack that reveals Xavier monitored Wolverine’s fight with the Hulk. This doesn’t add any new information to Wolverine’s chronology, it just reveals that Xavier is BTS in H2 181.
Actually, I place W:O 29-FB-FB between panels 1 and 2 of page 2 of H2 181.
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:Hrmn. I suppose it's possible that Wolverine would have misgivings about Xavier messing with his head because he just went through dealing with amnesia, and he didn't want to forget the life he's lived since being found naked by the Hudsons. So while Xavier might have made Wolverine forget a few things, he still wouldn't be the cause of his Amnesia.
Somehow, I doubt they'll play it that way...