X-Men Origins: Iceman

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

X-Men Origins: Iceman

Post by metaldragon »

X-Men Origins: Iceman (1shot)

Cast:
ICEMAN/BOBBY DRAKE
PROFESSOR X/CHARLES XAVIER
CYCLOPS/SCOTT SUMMERS

Other characters:
Madeline Drake
William Drake
Judy Harmon
Rocky Beasley
Rocky's 3 thuggish buddies
Tom, a journalist interviewing Xavier
2 police officers
a waitress at Marie's Diner
various residents of Fort Washington, Long Island

Summary:
Madeline Drake is making lunch while 12 yr old Bobby is swimming in the pool. She discovers him frozen up to his waist as the water in the pool turns to ice. "Later" Bobby's parents reassure him that he's done nothing wrong and explain that he's a mutant and he has to hide what he can do. Time passes (Bobby looks a bit older) and Bobby practices using his powers. He covers himself in lumpy ice (which he seemed surprised he could do in UX 45/2). At school Judy asks him what he's doing for his birthday which is tomorrow. They are interrupted by Rocky Beasley who rudely suggests that he and his buddies can "take care" of Judy better than him as they drive past. That evening Bobby sneaks out of the house to practice using his powers in the woods out back while his mother is watching a tv interview with Charles Xavier explaining that it's peoples' attitude towards mutants that is the real "mutant problem". He's shown covered in ice, throwing ice around and creating ice ramps (which he doesn’t seem to do again until UX 4) as well. He then freezes the tires of Rocky Beasley's car outside Marie's Diner. He then calls Judy to invite her to a movie for his birthday. The next evening they watch the movie West Side Story at the community center and Bobby puts his arm around Judy's shoulders.

Everything up to this point (page 14) takes place before UX 44/2. Now things get tricky... I've decided to compare this with his original origin from this point on.

XO:I pg 15, panel 1 shows Bobby & Judy Harmon leaving the community center after watching West Side Story.

UX 44/2: The 1st panel begins with them walking along a street and talking after seeing West Side Story. Bobby tells Judy how much he enjoyed seeing it with her. Panel 2 she asks him if he’s trying to tell her he’s in love with her.

XO:I pg 15, panel 2-4: Judy kisses Bobby out in the street. Bobby is about to confess that he’s a mutant when Rocky Beasley interrupts them. Here is where the story changes.

-

UX 44/2, 1st page, panel 3- 2nd page, panel 1-4 : Bobby is tackled by some of Beasley’s buddies and restrained while Judy is about to be dragged off by Rocky. He freezes Rocky in a block of ice.

XO:I pg 15, panels 5-pg 16, panels 1-6-pg 17, panels 1-5: the dialogue is different (and their hair styles and clothes are different from the original). Bobby isn’t surprised by Rocky’s buddies tackling him, he’s just surrounded & restrained. Judy isn’t dragged off, just held. Bobby freezes the thug’s hands and tells Judy to get down when he freezes Rocky in a block of ice.

-

UX 44/2 pg 3, panels 1-4: Judy runs away from Bobby and word spreads around town of what he’s done while Bobby runs home.

XO:I pg 16-pg 17: Bobby & Judy’s dialogue is different and he uses an ice ramp to get home instead of just running.

-

UX 44/2 pg 3, panel 4-pg 4-pg 5, panels 1-3: Bobby tells his parents what’s happened and an angry mob comes to the Drake house. He tries to fight them off but is captured and driven off to the county jail by them.

XO:I pg 18-19: dialogue where Bobby tells his parents what’s happened is different. They tell him they have to leave town and he goes to pack but the police come to arrest him.

-

UX 44/2 pg 5 panels 4-7: The next morning Xavier reads about Bobby’s arrest in the newspaper and sends Cyclops to bust him out of jail. Cyclops blasts into the cell much to Bobby’s surprise. TBC next issue.

XO:I pg 20: Some time later Bobby looks through the cell window at the mob gathered outside the jail and Cyclops blasts a hole in the wall.

-

UX 45/2 pg 1-2: Cyclops had blasted his way in through the cell window and tells Bobby they have to leave but Bobby refuses. The sherrif is tells a lynch mob to go home. Cyclops blasts a hole in the wall, tackles Bobby whose whole body ices up and his dialogue suggests that this is the first time he’s done that. Cyclops tackles him and they fall through the hole in the wall into the street. Bobby’s cell was on the second story and an awning breaks their fall before they land on the street.

XO:I pg 21, panels 1-3: Cyclops blasts another hole in the wall and grabs Bobby, dragging him out into the alley through the new hole. Bobby’s cell appears to be at street level.

-

UX 45/2 pg 3, panels 1-2: The lynch mob has entered the jail and they hear the noise of Cyclops's “rescue” attempt. They grab the sheriff’s guns and see Cyclops use his optic blasts to break himself out of the block of ice Bobby tried to freeze him in.

XO:I pg 21, panels 4-6-pg 22, panel 1: Bobby freezes Cyclops in a block of ice and he smashes his way out with his optic blast.

-

UX 45/2 pg 3, panel 3-pg 5: Bobby runs to the “waterfront” and jumps into a small motor boat. Cyclops blasts the dock out from under some of the mob and chases after the boat and manages to jump in. The fight causes the boat to crash into a pylon and they’re thrown back onto a pier where they keep fighting until they’re both exhausted. The gun toting mob catches up to them again. TBC next issue.

UX 46/2 page1-5, panels 1-3: Bobby and Cyclops are surrounded by the gun toting rednecks who decided to lynch them. The sheriff tries to stop them but they drag him off and lasso the 2 mutants. Professor X finally arrives and telepathicly tells Cyclops to break free and get Bobby back home. Their powers returned enough for them to fight free of the mob and head back to Bobby’s place. Professor X deals with the mob by wiping their memories of what happened.

XO:I pg 22, panels 2-pg 24: Professor X arrives and tells Bobby & Cyclops to stop fighting. He informs them he dispersed the mob and made them forget all about Bobby’s powers. He invites Bobby to become an X-Man and tells him of his vision of creating a school where mutants could come to lear how to use their powers properly. He would make Bobby’s parents forget about his powers to protect them and persuade them to allow Bobby to enroll in his school for “gifted youngsters”.

-

UX 46/2 page 5, panels 4-end: “Ten minutes later” Bobby & Cyclops arrive at Bobby’s home where Professor X explains what he’s done with the mob and tells Bobby he’s already spoken with his parents about enrolling him in his school. Bobby asks about his parents and Xavier explains he’ll make them forget about Bobby’s powers. Bobby says goodbye to his parents and Professor X mentions to Cyclops that now his X-Man has become his X-Men.

-

XO:I pg 25-end: Bobby thinks back to saying goodbye to his parents and Judy who don’t remember that he has powers or what happened with Rocky Beasley as Scott drives them up to the school gates. They pull up in front of the school and Cyclops offers to give him a tour of the grounds. Professor X instead suggests Bobby should go explore- as Iceman. Bobby forms an ice ramp and speeds off while Professor X tells Cyclops that it’s an historic moment, “Where there was only one... now there are two.”

Notes:
It doesn't say, but this is probably Bobby's 13th birthday.

I believe the rest of XO:I is irreconcilable with the original as there have been too many changes. It's possible the section up to page 14 can be salvaged and the last part from page 25 to the end of the story but the rest in between is rather different and much shorter than the original. I leave it up to the Project to decide.
"May the Light shine forever!"
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: X-Men Origins: Iceman

Post by Paul Bourcier »

metaldragon wrote:
I believe the rest of XO:I is irreconcilable with the original as there have been too many changes. It's possible the section up to page 14 can be salvaged and the last part from page 25 to the end of the story but the rest in between is rather different and much shorter than the original. I leave it up to the Project to decide
This sounds a bit like what Marvel did with AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES. In that case, I believe the MCP is attempting to stitch together a narrative from both the original comics and the continuity implants that makes sense, squinting to ignore differences in details. Is there a way to break down pages 15-24 into individual panels (or even dialog balloons within panels) and parse them out between panels of UX 44/2 to make the story flow sensibly?

Thank you for the analysis, metaldragon.
Paul B.
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: X-Men Origins: Iceman

Post by metaldragon »

Paul Bourcier wrote:metaldragon wrote:
I believe the rest of XO:I is irreconcilable with the original as there have been too many changes. It's possible the section up to page 14 can be salvaged and the last part from page 25 to the end of the story but the rest in between is rather different and much shorter than the original. I leave it up to the Project to decide
This sounds a bit like what Marvel did with AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES. In that case, I believe the MCP is attempting to stitch together a narrative from both the original comics and the continuity implants that makes sense, squinting to ignore differences in details. Is there a way to break down pages 15-24 into individual panels (or even dialog balloons within panels) and parse them out between panels of UX 44/2 to make the story flow sensibly?

Thank you for the analysis, metaldragon.
You're welcome!

X-Men Origins:Iceman actually changed some events completely and had other take place in an entirely different location.

Original: Bobby is surprised tackled by Rocky's thug buddies. Origins remake: Rocky & buddies talk first, then surround them.

Original: Bobby is hauled off to jail by a couple of guys from town after he tries to fight them off. Origins remake: two police officers come to arrest him and he doesn't fight them.

Original: After Cyclops breaks Bobby out of jail, there's a big fight/chase with Cyclops, then capture by redneck lynch mob and escape. Origins remake: doesn't. Cyclops breaks Iceman out of jail and Xavier ends the fight in the alley before it can really begin by showing up.

Original: after they escape the mob, Xavier telepathically tells Cyclops to meet him at Bobby's house where they meet him in person. Xavier wipes townsfolk's minds and talks with Bobby's parents then makes them forget Bobby is a mutant. Origins remake: Xavier meets them in the alley outside the jail, wipes villagers minds and then between panels meets with Bobby's parents.

There are smaller details like the jail. In the original, Cyclops somehow breaks in through Bobby's second story cell window, then smashes out through the cell wall where they fall onto an awning and then onto the street. In the Origins remake, Cyclops blows a hole in the wall of Bobby's cell, they fight, then smash through a second hole into the wall and spill out into the alley at the side of the building, out of sight of the crowd out front. Bobby's cell seems to be at ground level.

The worst contradiction is Xavier arriving in town and going directly to Bobby's house where he telepathically deals with everyone from that distance vs actually coming to the jail and stopping things there in person.
"May the Light shine forever!"