Galacta: Daughter of Galactus #1 (one-shot)

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Galacta: Daughter of Galactus #1 (one-shot)

Post by Somebody »

GALACTA, DAUGHTER OF GALACTUS #1
Writer: Adam Warren
Art: Hector Sevilla Lujan ("aka Elsevilla")
'Galacta [or, "The World-Eater's Daughter"]'

There's a note in the credits stating that "parts 2-4 originally debuted on Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited", although it's my understanding that pt 1 originally did as well.

Cast:

GALACTA/GALI (all parts)
WOLVERINE (part 2 only)
MR FANTASTIC (pts 3 & 4)
INVISIBLE WOMAN (pts 3 & 4)
HUMAN TORCH (pts 3 & 4)
THING (pts 3 & 4)
GALACTUS/GALAN (part 4 only)

Summary:

Part 1 (pg1-9)
App: Galacta & extras

Opening tweet: "The equation of me: Food issues X Daddy issues = a food-stuffed, daddy-laden, 100,000-ton container-ship BOATLOAD of issues!" (posted "6 hours ago" in-story, 7:04 AM Apr 29th, 2009 in reality)

Originally published (in print) as Marvel Assistant-Sized Spectacular #2/2, which JLH analysed back in Jun 2009. Note, however, that Galactus doesn't actually appear in this part, as JLH thought - the image of him on the screen is apparently part of his "quantum entanglement equivalent of voicemail" rather than a live image.

Closing tweet: ">Sigh< So, I'm forced to beg My Father The Cosmic Superbeast (no joke) for help... Will he come through, for once? TO BE CONTINUED! I hope." (posted "about one minute ago" in-story, 12:03 PM Apr 29th, 2009 in-reality. Following tweet is "What a day... remind me to talk about it NEVER. My father is... <sigh> forget it, I don't want to talk about it. Or type. Ever. Maybe.")

Part 2 (pg10-16)
App: Galacta, Wolverine, extras

[Tweets from this part on aren't part of the real twitterfeed, presumably being written after AW stopped updating it.]

Galacta recounts, for her dad's unresponsive voicemail, the unsatisfying "last 1.75 seconds" of [her] day", which involved happening on Wolverine fighting some "alien wardrones" AIM revived from fossils, "triggered by the detonation of an [AIM] tachygenesis device reverse-engineered from stolen High Evolutionary gear" while looking for food, and fantasing about megascaling his healing factor, turning him into an Ego-sized planetoid for her to repeatedly eat - before rejecting it since the "reality deformation math[s] encoded into mutant DNA by the Celestials... works only on a very low-biomass scale", and would rip the universe apart. Forced to give up on her dream of edible sideburned planets, she just ate the wardrones - leaving a confused Wolverine and some shocked AIM beekeepers - before vamoosing.

Part 3 (pg 17-23)
App: Galacta, "senile Elder of the Universe" (looks like Grandmaster with purple skin and large white beard), Mr Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Thing, Human Torch.

With her tapeworm-increased appetite, Galacta briefly considers eating herself, and tries very hard not to eat the planet, before throwing herself into fixing a list of 25 looming threats to Earth - knocking an asteroid off a collision course, preventing AIM from causing a tree-based zombie apocalypse, removing a senile Elder of the Universe (who looks like the Grandmaster, but with purple skin and a long white beard) before he accidentally rips the planet apart, blocking a cosmic-ray burst, and several others before reaching #1 - a load of Kronian geoclones. While eating those, she finds a rememberence of Thor in their race memories, and after a few moments picturing the idea of eating Jorgamund and Fenris, the sight of Mjolnir gives her an idea.

Which first involves visiting the Fantastic Four ["Your primary foes amongst this world's apex hominids... admittedly, that staus is akin to a mere human having a lone intestinal bacterium as an arch-enemy...but still..."]

Part 4 (pg 24-31)
App: Galacta, Mr Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Thing, Human Torch, Galactus.

She's explained her problem to Reed, but isn't interested in what he has to say, only in using the fact that he & the Torch had previously held the Ultimate Nullifier to track down its present location, and vanishes in mid-sentence. She then frantically races to where the Nullifier had been hidden - on a spare, cloaked, worldship of Galactus. She intends to use it to cut the tapeworm out of her - in spite of being "ridiculously, overwhelmingly unlikely to survive" the "impromptu ultimate nullification surgery", to avoid becoming like her father.

Just as she is steeling herself to do it, however, Galactus himself shows up, and - contrary to her every impression of him - feeds her some of his energy, then uses his cosmic awareness to explain what the "tapeworm cosmic" really is - a nascent form of cosmic being like themselves, one of which had once spontaneously generated within him... in other words, she's pregnant.

Extras

Two pages of colour design sketches, and seven pages of tweets taken (sometimes slightly rephrased) from http://www.twitter.com/gali_girl ("Via Power Cosmic, I see the reality scars left behind the earth’s orbit; this universe really ISN’T designed to be rebooted this often, OK?")

Continuity notes:

Part 1 references "the large-scale infestation of skrulls recently plaguing this world."

Wolverine is out-of-costume. The Fantastic Four are in loose interpretations of their uniforms - coloured like their standard costumes, but with "4"s on the left side of their chest, and on their shoulders, both akin to the HR FF costumes. Neither are helpful for placement.

There are flashbacks featuring Thor - a loose flashback to JIM 83, with a costume variant more like the Ages of Thunder costume, presumably corrupted by the cloning and thus non-canon - and Reed/Galactus - to Reed threatening Galactus with the Ultimate Nullifier which yields no new information (save for Galacta's narrative insistance that the safety was still on!)

Calendar notes:

The tweets from Part 1 were posted on April 29th 2009 :). The feed ends on Jun 6th with no updates for the later chapters.

Listings:

I'm assuming that we want to split this into chapters, akin to how it appeared online... but, honestly, it reads a lot like one story, with only one title page, and I wouldn't object to collapsing it all down (although that would give a minor problem in that the chapter originally printed in Assistant-Sized Spectacular would be part of that whole):

GALACTA/GALI
M/ASPEC 2/2-FB
M/ASPEC 2/2
GALACTA:DGAL 1/2-FB
GALACTA:DGAL 1/2
GALACTA:DGAL 1/3
GALACTA:DGAL 1/4

WOLVERINE/LOGAN/etc
[...]
GALACTA:DGAL 1/2-FB

MR. FANTASTIC/REED RICHARDS
[...]
[...]

INVISIBLE WOMAN/SUSAN STORM RICHARDS
[...]
[...]

THING/BENJAMIN JACOB GRIMM
[...]
[...]

HUMAN TORCH/JONATHAN STORM
[...]
[...]

GALACTUS/GALAN
[...]
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Galacta: Daughter of Galactus #1 (one-shot)

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Are there four separate stories, or one story with four chapters? If the latter, wouldn't be just go with GALACTA:DGAL 1, not 1/2, 1/3, 1/4?
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Are there four separate stories, or one story with four chapters? If the latter, wouldn't be just go with GALACTA:DGAL 1, not 1/2, 1/3, 1/4?
Basically, the latter. I just had the problem with part 1 having been printed first, separately, when it isn't really separate as presented in the issue. If there's no problem with that little inconsistancy, then absolutely the others can just be GALACTA:DGAL 1.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Since the first chapter was published first, I'd treat it as a "reprint" and use the original citation. Then I'd treat the other chapters as one original story, but not put a "/2" at the end of the citation for GALACTA:DGAL 1. Does that make sense?
Paul B.