New Universe analyses: Untold Tales of the New Universe

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Creelman
Henchman
Henchman

New Universe analyses: Untold Tales of the New Universe

Post by Creelman »

Amazing Fantasy 18/2
Published: April 2006
Written by Tony Lee; Drawn by Leonard Kirk (penciler) & Kris Justice (inker)
Appearances: Mark Hazzard; Louis "Treetop" Barrington; Mal Rossi; General Luis Montoya (introduction)
Brief synopsis: In Los Angeles, Mark serves divorce papers on a South American general illegally visiting the U.S.
References: As noted on page 1, the story takes during 1987.
Notes: Dating this issue chronologically is a bit of a guess. Because Treetop is still working with Hazzard, it must take place sometime before MH:M 6. So, the three possible placements would be between MH:M 1 and MH:M 2, between MH:M 4 and MH:M 5, or between MH:M 5 and MH:M 6. Since the date of this issue takes place sometime in 1987, the general chronology of the New Universe would suggest that this issue be placed later rather than earlier. As such, I would suggest placing this issue between MH:M 5 and MH:M 6.

--------------------

Chronology entries:
Barrington, Louis/Treetop
MH:M@ 1-FB
{MH:M 1}
MH:M 2
MH:M 4
*Amazing Fantasy (vol. 2) 18/2
MH:M 6
MH:M 9
MH:M 10
MH:M 11
MH:M@ 1

Hazzard, Mark
MH:M 1-FB~MH:M 5 (18:4)-FB~MH:M@ 1-FB
MH:M 5 (6:2)-FB
MH:M 7 (16:2)-FB
MH:M@ 1 (23:4-26:2)-FB
MH:M 3
MH:M 5
MH:M 7
MH:M 8

Rossi, Mal
MH:M 5 (6:2)-FB
MH:M 5
MH:M 7

--------------------

Untold Tales of the New Universe: Justice 1
Published: May 2006
Written by Peter David; Drawn by Carmine Di Giandomenico (penciler) & John Stanisci (inker)
Appearances: Justice [John Tensen]; Rodney Jung (introduction, villain, dies); Ms. Jung (introduction); Trish (introduction)
Brief synopsis: John Tensen tracks down Rodney Jung, a paranormal using his powers to create addicts. After killing him, Justice sees the aura of Rodney's daughter become evil, hating Justice for killing her father. Justice goads her into shooting him, but only tricks her into thinking she had killed him so that her aura would become purified.
References: As noted on the recap page, this issue takes place in "late 1987" after Justice has killed Darquill.
Notes: Dating this issue chronologically is a bit of a guess. It is known that the story would take place some time after Justice kills Darquill (JUSTICE #15) and some time before Justice travels to the Pitt (JUSTICE #18). All things considered, my inclination is to place the story at the latest point possible, which would be between JUSTICE 17 and JUSTICE 18.

Chronology entries:
Justice/Tensen, John
JUSTICE 17 (15:2)-FB
JUSTICE 17 (15:3-15:5)-FB
JUSTICE 17 (16:1)-FB
JUSTICE 17 (16:2)-FB
JUSTICE 17 (16:3-16:4)-FB
JUSTICE 17 (17:1-17:3)-FB
JUSTICE 17 (17:4-17:6)-FB
JUSTICE 15 (14:1-14:4)-FB~ JUSTICE 17 (18:1-18:4)-FB
JUSTICE 15 (1:1-3:3)-FB~JUSTICE 17 (18:5-19:3)-FB
JUSTICE 1 (16:4-17:3)-FB
{JUSTICE 1}~NMASK 8 (19:3-19:4)-FB
JUSTICE 2
JUSTICE 3
JUSTICE 4
JUSTICE 5
JUSTICE 6
JUSTICE 7
JUSTICE 8
JUSTICE 9
JUSTICE 10
JUSTICE 11
JUSTICE 12
JUSTICE 13
JUSTICE 14
JUSTICE 15
JUSTICE 17 (19:5)-FB
JUSTICE 16 (11:1-13:5)-FB
JUSTICE 16 (17:3-18:5)-FB-OP
JUSTICE 16
JUSTICE 17
*UTNU:JUSTICE 1
[…]

Jung, Rodney
{*UTNU:JUSTICE 1}

Jung, Ms.
{*UTNU:JUSTICE 1}

--------------------

Untold Tales of the New Universe: Nightmask 1
Written by Fred Van Lente; Drawn by Arnold Pander (penciler) & Kris Justice (inker)
Appearances: Keith Remsen [Nightmask]; Teddy Remsen; Dr. Lucian Ballad; Lita Mercado; Horst Kleinmann [The Gnome] (villain); Udo; Gian
Brief synopsis: After Horst Kleinmann puts Teddy Remsen into an unending, dreamless sleep, Keith enters his sister's dreams to save her. Kleinmann, as the Gnome, attempts to put Keith into a unending dream state, but Nightmask is able to defeat him, saving Teddy and banishing Kleinmann into the collective unconscious.
References: As noted on the recap page, this issue takes place between NMASK 4 and NMASK 5.

Flashback (6:3-7:1)
Appearances: Keith Remsen [Nightmask]; Teddy Remsen; Vivienne [Mistress Midnight] (villain); Horst Kleinmann (villain); Udo; Gian
Brief synopsis: Nightmask battles Mistress Midnight who kissed Teddy, imparting Teddy's psychic signature to Klienmann who is able to put Teddy into an unending sleep.
References: Recalls Vivienne's part in the events of NMASK 4.

Chronology entries:
Ballad, Dr. Lucian
NMASK 12 (5:4)-FB
{NMASK 1}
NMASK 2
NMASK 4
*UTNU:NMASK 1
NMASK 5
NMASK 6
NMASK 7
NMASK 8 (19:6-19:7)-FB
NMASK 9
SBRAND 9
NMASK 10
NMASK 11-BTS
NMASK 12
[…]

Gian
{NMASK 2}
NMASK 4

Kleinmann, Dr. Horst/The Gnome
{NMASK 1}
NMASK 2
NMASK 4

Mercado, Estrellita “Lita”
{NMASK 1}
NMASK 2
NMASK 4
NMASK 5
NMASK 6
NMASK 7
NMASK 9
NMASK 10
[…]

Mistress Midnight/Princess Vivienne
NMASK 4 (15:3)-FB
NMASK 4 (15:5-15:6)-FB
{NMASK 2}
NMASK 4~UTNU:NMASK 1 (6:3-7:1)-FB

Remsen, Keith/Nightmask
NMASK 3 (4:5-4:7)-FB
NMASK 1 (4:1-5:4)-FB
{NMASK 1}
NMASK 2
NMASK 3
NMASK 4
NMASK 5
NMASK 6
NMASK 7
NMASK 8 (19:6-19:7)-FB
NMASK 8
NMASK 9
SBRAND 9
NMASK 10
NMASK 11
NMASK 12
JUSTICE 15
[…]

Remsen, Theodora “Teddy”
NMASK 1 (4:1-5:4)-FB
{NMASK 1}
NMASK 2
NMASK 4
NMASK 5
NMASK 6
NMASK 7
NMASK 9
NMASK 10
NMASK 11
NMASK 12
JUSTICE 15
[…]

Udo
{NMASK 2}
NMASK 4

--------------------

Untold Tales of the New Universe: Psi-Force 1
Written by Tony Bedard; Drawn by Russ Braun (artist)
Appearances: Michael Crawley; Stasi Inyushin; Tyrone Jessup; Kathy Ling; Wayne Tucker; Psi-Hawk; Colby Shaw; Michael Proudhawk (introduction, villain); Derek Shiningstar (villain); Emmett Proudhawk (cameo flashback); Mindwolf (cameo flashback, villain)
Brief synopsis: The teens meet Emmett's cousin, Michael Proudhawk, who has the ability to generate a Psi-Hawk by himself. He attempts to recruit the teens into the C.I.A., but they refuse and their respective Psi-Hawks fight each other. When Proudhawk's Psi-Hawk is beaten, he is placed into a comatose state.
References: As noted on page 1:1, pages 1 through 3 take place during 1987. As noted on page 4:1, pages 4 through 22 take place a month later.
Notes: This story can be placed anywhere between PF 7 (after Christmas, the teens return to San Francisco from Seattle) and PF@ 1 (Michael Crawley is replaced by Thomas Boyd in the group). Based on the relative lack of information the teens have and Shiningstar's comments at the end, I would tend to place the issue earlier between PF 7 and PF 8 (first time Shiningstar's agents attack the teens in the original series).

Chronology entries:
Crawley, Michael “Creepy”
PF 7
*UTNU:PF 1
PF 8

Inyushin, Anastasia “Stasi”
PF 7
PF 8

Jessup, Tyrone
PF 7
PF 8

Ling, Kathy
PF 7
PF 8

Psi-Hawk
PF 6-BTS
PF 8

Proudhawk, Michael
*{UTNU:PF 1}

Shaw, Colby
PF 6
PF 9

Shiningstar, Derek
PF 8 (3:5)-FB
PF 8

Tucker, Wayne
PF 7
PF 8

--------------------

Untold Tales of the New Universe 1
Written by Jeff Parker; Drawn by Javier Pulido (artist)
Appearances: Ken Connell; Myron Feldman; Debbie "the Duck" Fix; Arden (introduction); Tangentia (introduction); Randy Kellog [the Gladiator]; John Eberhardt; Dr. Lester (introduction)
Brief synopsis: Randy Kellog is found floating in space by Arden, a researcher from an alternate reality who is seeking the Star Brand. She learns all about his fight with Connell and travels to earth. Arden finds Ken and explains that she is exploring different versions of the Star Brand found in different universes. She shows him new ways to use his powers. They have a brief relationship that is cut short when Arden's people arrive and recall her to their reality for violating their rules of non-interference.
References:
Notes: Issue takes place sometime after SBRAND 10 (Connell's fight with the Gladiator) and before SBRAND 12 (Connell causes the explosion over Pittsburgh). Connell becomes a superhero in SBRAND 11 and it does not seem that has happened yet in this story. Also, Arden's comment about reading a whole run of Star Brand issues 1 through 10 indicates that the story in SBRAND 11 has not happened yet. As such, I would place this story after SBRAND 10 and before SBRAND 11.
- On page 1, the New Universe is denoted as universe 148611.
- On page 16, Arden states that she has read "a whole run of issues 1 through 10 of Star Brand".
- On page 18, Connell states that he has recently been dumped by Barb Petrovic.

Chronology entries:
Arden
*{UTNU 1}

Connell, Ken/Star Brand
SBRAND 10
*UTNU 1
SBRAND 12 (4:7-5:5)-FB

Eberhardt, John
SBRAND 10
*UTNU 1

Feldman, Myron
SBRAND 10
*UTNU 1

Felix, Maddie/Debbie “the Duck” Fix
SBRAND 10
*UTNU 1

Kellog, Randy/The Gladiator
{SBRAND 10}
*UTNU 1

Tangentia
*{UTNU 1}
-Dan
lkseitz
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: New Universe analyses: Untold Tales of the New Universe

Post by lkseitz »

Creelman wrote:Amazing Fantasy 18/2
Appearances: Mark Hazzard; Louis "Treetop" Barrington; Mal Rossi; General Luis Montoya (introduction)
Brief synopsis: In Los Angeles, Mark serves divorce papers on a South American general illegally visiting the U.S.
Notes: Dating this issue chronologically is a bit of a guess. Because Treetop is still working with Hazzard, it must take place sometime before MH:M 6. So, the three possible placements would be between MH:M 1 and MH:M 2, between MH:M 4 and MH:M 5, or between MH:M 5 and MH:M 6. Since the date of this issue takes place sometime in 1987, the general chronology of the New Universe would suggest that this issue be placed later rather than earlier. As such, I would suggest placing this issue between MH:M 5 and MH:M 6.
I concur with your placement, but came at it from a different route. According to the Official New Universe Timeline, Merc #6 takes place on January 18, 1987. Therefore, this story takes place very shortly before Merc #6.
Creelman wrote: Untold Tales of the New Universe: Justice 1
References: As noted on the recap page, this issue takes place in "late 1987" after Justice has killed Darquill.
Notes: Dating this issue chronologically is a bit of a guess. It is known that the story would take place some time after Justice kills Darquill (JUSTICE #15) and some time before Justice travels to the Pitt (JUSTICE #18). All things considered, my inclination is to place the story at the latest point possible, which would be between JUSTICE 17 and JUSTICE 18.
I agree a definitive placement of this one is hard, but narrowed it down to just before or after Justice #17. Issue 17 doesn't say where it takes place, but #15 was in California, #16 in Chicago, and #18 near Pittsburgh. This issue takes place in New York, so I figured Justice was working his way east, putting it after #16 but before #18.
Creelman wrote: Untold Tales of the New Universe: Psi-Force 1
Brief synopsis: The teens meet Emmett's cousin, Michael Proudhawk, who has the ability to generate a Psi-Hawk by himself. He attempts to recruit the teens into the C.I.A., but they refuse and their respective Psi-Hawks fight each other. When Proudhawk's Psi-Hawk is beaten, he is placed into a comatose state.
References: As noted on page 1:1, pages 1 through 3 take place during 1987. As noted on page 4:1, pages 4 through 22 take place a month later.
Notes: This story can be placed anywhere between PF 7 (after Christmas, the teens return to San Francisco from Seattle) and PF@ 1 (Michael Crawley is replaced by Thomas Boyd in the group). Based on the relative lack of information the teens have and Shiningstar's comments at the end, I would tend to place the issue earlier between PF 7 and PF 8 (first time Shiningstar's agents attack the teens in the original series).

I agree with where you've narrowed it down to (PF 7 and PF@ 1). However, I reasoned that since Psi-Force spent issues #10-11 with Emmett Proudhawk's family, if they had encountered Michael Proudhawk before those issues they would have mentioned him during their time with Emmett's family. (Perhaps not the best logic when dealing with retcons, but hey.) Therefore, I placed this issue sometime just before or after Psi-Force #12.
Creelman wrote:Untold Tales of the New Universe: Star Brand 1
Brief synopsis: Randy Kellog is found floating in space by Arden, a researcher from an alternate reality who is seeking the Star Brand. She learns all about his fight with Connell and travels to earth. Arden finds Ken and explains that she is exploring different versions of the Star Brand found in different universes. She shows him new ways to use his powers. They have a brief relationship that is cut short when Arden's people arrive and recall her to their reality for violating their rules of non-interference.
References:
Notes: Issue takes place sometime after SBRAND 10 (Connell's fight with the Gladiator) and before SBRAND 12 (Connell causes the explosion over Pittsburgh). Connell becomes a superhero in SBRAND 11 and it does not seem that has happened yet in this story. Also, Arden's comment about reading a whole run of Star Brand issues 1 through 10 indicates that the story in SBRAND 11 has not happened yet. As such, I would place this story after SBRAND 10 and before SBRAND 11.
That was pretty much my reading, too.
Lee K. Seitz
Slowly adding insignificant characters to the MCP
Creelman
Henchman
Henchman

Re: New Universe analyses: Untold Tales of the New Universe

Post by Creelman »

lkseitz wrote:
Creelman wrote:Amazing Fantasy 18/2
I concur with your placement, but came at it from a different route. According to the Official New Universe Timeline, Merc #6 takes place on January 18, 1987. Therefore, this story takes place very shortly before Merc #6.
I'm still working my way through the later issues, so haven't gotten around to including all the information from the ONUT. Glad to know my guess was right on!
lkseitz wrote:
Creelman wrote: Untold Tales of the New Universe: Justice 1
I agree a definitive placement of this one is hard, but narrowed it down to just before or after Justice #17. Issue 17 doesn't say where it takes place, but #15 was in California, #16 in Chicago, and #18 near Pittsburgh. This issue takes place in New York, so I figured Justice was working his way east, putting it after #16 but before #18.
Justice had a habit of bouncing around the country before this, so I wasn't super worried about some rational traveling schedule for him. (New Universe, rational?) Two things pushed me to place it where I did: 1) the story shows Justice really starting to reconsider his stance as a vigilante; and 2) a general feeling that these Untold Tales should be set as late as possible. All that being said, I agree that this issue could go either place.
lkseitz wrote:
Creelman wrote: Untold Tales of the New Universe: Psi-Force 1

I agree with where you've narrowed it down to (PF 7 and PF@ 1). However, I reasoned that since Psi-Force spent issues #10-11 with Emmett Proudhawk's family, if they had encountered Michael Proudhawk before those issues they would have mentioned him during their time with Emmett's family. (Perhaps not the best logic when dealing with retcons, but hey.) Therefore, I placed this issue sometime just before or after Psi-Force #12.
I agree on the issue with Michael Proudhawk not being mentioned by the Proudhawk family in Psi-Force #10-11 (or previously in the series at all!). I struggled with that too. But the logic can work both ways: Psi-Force doesn't mention him to the family (for your argument), but the family doesn't mention him to Psi-Force either! Nobody mentions him! Ultimately, the reason I placed it between PF 7 and PF 8 was the Derek Shiningstar appearance at the end of the comic. He makes a comment that Michael Proudhawk failed and that he was going to have to try new ways to capture the teens. I retconned that as Shiningstar making the decision to send Stalker after the teens on Alcatraz. But, as above, it's a tough story to place.
-Dan