Guardians of the Galaxy #1-6

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Guardians of the Galaxy #1-6

Post by Col_Fury »

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1 (June, 1990)
By Jim Valentino

APPEARANCES:
Guardians of the Galaxy: Maj. Vance Astro (also in fb), Capt. Charlie-27 (also in fb), Martinex (also in fb), Nikki (also in fb), Aleta Ogord, Starhawk (also in fb), Yondu (also in fb); Taserface, Lt. Darkeyes, Cmdr. Blackhand (voice only)

FLASHBACKS:
A recap of the Guardian’s history (repeats, no new information). Yondu shows the Guardians a book he found (the book of Antag) and Vance Astro says it’s a map to the secret location of Captain America’s shield (new, just before main story).
SYNOPSIS:
The Guardians of the Galaxy arrive on the planet Courg in search of Captain America’s shield, but they quickly realize another group, also searching for the shield, has already been to Courg. Meanwhile in orbit, the Stark notice the Guardians are on the planet, which they have claimed. Taserface teleports down and attacks the Guardians, but they defeat them. A group of Stark teleport down and attacks the Guardians.

NOTE:
The 1991 Guardians Annual, published a year after this issue, leads into this story where Yondu finds the book of Antag.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #2 (June, 1990)
By Jim Valentino

APPEARANCES:
Guardians of the Galaxy: Maj. Vance Astro, Capt. Charlie-27, Martinex, Nikki, Aleta Ogord, Starhawk, Yondu; Taserface, Lt. Darkeyes, Cmdr. Blackhand, Firelord, Iron Man (Tony Stark, in fb)

FLASHBACK:
When the Martians attacked Earth, Tony Stark sent his Iron Man technology into space do the Martians wouldn’t get their hands on it. Stark’s rocket eventually crashes onto a planet where the primitive natives study the technology and erect a society around it. They rename their species “Stark” after the god who gave them their technology and eventually every member of the Stark race wears an Iron Man suit of armor. Over the generations the Stark deplete their planet’s natural resources,so they embark into space in search of other planets to harvest materials for their suits.
SYNOPSIS:
The Stark attack the Guardians. Meanwhile, the Watcher watches Firelord, the current Protector of the Universe, fly through space. Charlie-27 notices that the Stark are scared of Nikki and deduces that females are the Stark’s dominant gender. He orders Starhawk to change into Aleta. Aleta quickly turns the momentum of the battle to the Guardians’ favor, but accidentally kills the Stark group’s leader, Lt. Darkeyes. Taserface recovers and takes Nikki hostage. When Aleta changes back into Starhawk, Taserface shoots them and Starhawk and Aleta explode.

NOTE:
The Watcher notes that Firelord became Protector of the Universe when the previous Protector, Silver Surfer, went missing.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #3 (June, 1990)
By Jim Valentino

APPEARANCES:
Guardians of the Galaxy: Maj. Vance Astro, Capt. Charlie-27, Martinex, Nikki, Aleta Ogord, Starhawk, Yondu; Force: Brahl, Broadside, Eightyfive, Interface, Photon, Scanner, Tachyon; Taserface, Cmdr. Blackhand, High Sister

SYNOPSIS:
Martinex freezes Taserface and Nikki so Taserface can’t kill her. As the rest of the Guardians battle the Stark, Vance Astro notices that Starhawk and Aleta are both present (they were like Captain Marvel and Rick Jones; two people that had to switch places). Starhawk wakes up and flies off into space. Meanwhile, Firelord flies through space, passing by Force, the group of alieans also looking for Captain America’s shield. Martinex thaws out Nikki and Vance Astro defeats Taserface. With the Stark defeated, the Guardians return to their ship with Commander Blackhand as a hostage only to be surrounded by a Stark fleet. Starhawk returns a moment too late and watches the Stark destroy the Guardians’ space ship.

NOTE:
Brahl previously appeared in Thor Annual #6.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #4 (June, 1990)
By Jim Valentino

APPEARANCES:
Guardians of the Galaxy: Maj. Vance Astro, Capt. Charlie-27, Martinex, Nikki, Aleta Ogord, Starhawk, Yondu; Force: Brahl, Broadside, Eightyfive, Interface, Photon, Scanner, Tachyon; Taserface, Cmdr. Blackhand (bts), Firelord

SYNOPSIS:
Firelord arrives at the planet Courg to find Stark battling the Stark fleet. Starhawk sends Firelord to the planet while he continues to fight the space ships. Meanwhile on the planet, the Guardians have teleported out before their ship was destroyed, but their hostage was killed by shrapnel during teleportation. Taserface attacks again, but Firelord arrives and sets him on fire. Meanwhile, Force finds a clue in their copy of the book of Antag and continue to search for Captain America’s shield. With the Stark defeated, the Guardians take one of their ships, invite Firelord to be an honorary Guardian and continue their search for Captain America’s shield.

NOTE:
The Guardians name their new ship the Captain America II.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #5 (June, 1990)
By Jim Valentino

APPEARANCES:
Guardians of the Galaxy: Maj. Vance Astro, Capt. Charlie-27, Martinex, Nikki, Aleta Ogord, Starhawk, Yondu; Force: Brahl, Broadside, Photon, Scanner; Main Frame

SYNOPSIS:
The Guaridans arrive at en empty planet (previously inhabited, though, there are still buildings and cities and stuff on it) that is only inhabited by Main Frame, a computer consciousness. Main Frame informs the Guardians they have to participate in a contest with Force to win Captain America’s shield. Charlie-27 and Martinex are pitted against Broadside and Brahl. Broadside tries to romance Charlie-27, but when he attacks her she’s offended and beats the tar out of him. Brahl blasts Martinex and shatters his crystal skin. Meanwhile, Yondu and Nikki are set against Photon and Scanner. Yondu immediately recognizes Photon as a member of his race and refuses to fight her. She quickly defeats him but is teleported away before she can kill him. Nikki, who hates all reptile species, quickly defeats Scanner (a reptile) butis teleported away before she can kill him. Back on their ship, Charlie-27 tells the other Guardians that Martinex has been killed.

NOTE:
Yondu’s race (Alpha Centaurians) are revealed to be marsupials here. Yondu thought he was the last of his race and hopes to one day mate with Photon (she has no interest).

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #6 (June, 1990)
By Jim Valentino

APPEARANCES:
Guardians of the Galaxy: Maj. Vance Astro, Capt. Charlie-27, Martinex, Nikki, Aleta Ogord, Starhawk, Yondu; Force: Brahl, Broadside, Eightyfive, Interface, Photon, Scanner, Tachyon; Main Frame

SYNOPSIS:
Starhawk and Aleta are teleported to fight Eightyfive and Tachyon, but they get into an argument before the confrontation can start. Aleta blames Starhawk for the death of their children (they used to be married) but the spat is cut short when Eightyfive attacks. As Eightyfive easily defeats Aleta, Starhawk battles Tachyon. He soon realizes that Tachyon only fights in response to attacks. When Starhawk stops fighting, so does Tachyon. When Starhawk and Aleta return to the Guardians, Starhawk imbues Martinex with power and resuscitates Martinex. Main Frame declares that the Guardians and Force are tied, so the contest must be settled by a fight between Vance Astro and Interface. Interface easily defeats Vance and claims the shield, but is confused when no one obeys his commands instantly. Interface tosses the shield away in disgust, thinking it had mind control powers. Vance claims the shield and Force leave. Main Frame reveals that he’s actually the Vision and tells the Guardians some history: When Captain America was killed during the War of the Worlds, Dr. Doom left Earth and took Cap’s shield with him. Doom’s servant Antag hid the shield and wrote a book leaving clues to its location. Vision left Earth during the War of the Worlds in search of the mutants who left and eventually found this abandoned planet. He loaded his consciousness into the planet’s machines and stopped using his old android body. He eventually found where the mutants went and tells the Guardians where they are now.

NOTE:
The mutants left Earth left before the War of the Worlds, and are the last group of free Earth men that the Guardians were talking about back in Marvel Super Heroes #18 (from 1969!). They’re finally going to find them in a few issues.

Charlie-27 recalls finding an abandoned base that Vision/Main Frame confirms was the mutants’. This story will be shown as a backup strip in the 1991 Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #1.

Chronology placements, all on the Killraven page:

ALETA/ALETA OGORD | 31ST CENTURY [ARCTURAN]

SS@ 4
GOTG@ 1/2
*GOTG 1
*GOTG 2
*GOTG 3
*GOTG 4
*GOTG 5
*GOTG 6
See Starhawk II

ASTRO, MAJ. VANCE (nee ASTROVIK) | 31ST CENTURY

SS@ 4
GOTG@ 1/2
*GOTG 1-FB
*GOTG 1
*GOTG 2
*GOTG 3
*GOTG 4
*GOTG 5
*GOTG 6
IW 5

BLACKHAND, CMDR. [STARK] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 1-VO
GOTG 2
GOTG 3
GOTG 4-BTS

*BRAHL [ACHERNONIAN] | 31ST CENTURY (add species)
T@ 6
*GOTG 3
*GOTG 4
*GOTG 5
*GOTG 6

BROADSIDE | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 3
GOTG 4
GOTG 5
GOTG 6

CHARLIE-27, CAPT. | 31ST CENTURY [JOVIAN]

SS@ 4
GOTG@ 1/2
*GOTG 1-FB
*GOTG 1
*GOTG 2
*GOTG 3
*GOTG 4
*GOTG 5
*GOTG 6
IW 5

DARKEYES, LT. [STARK] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 1
GOTG 2

EIGHTYFIVE [KREE] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 3
GOTG 4
GOTG 6

FIRELORD/PYREUS KRIL [XANDARIAN] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 2
GOTG 3
GOTG 4

HIGH SISTER [STARK] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 3

INTERFACE | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 3
GOTG 4
GOTG 6

IRON MAN/TONY STARK
GOTG 2-FB

MAIN FRAME/VISION | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 5
GOTG 6

MARTINEX/DR. MARTINEX T'NAGA | 31ST CENTURY [PLUVIAN]

SS@ 4
GOTG@ 1/2
*GOTG 1-FB
*GOTG 1
*GOTG 2
*GOTG 3
*GOTG 4
*GOTG 5
*GOTG 6
NW 68

NIKKI/NICHOLETTE GOLD | 31ST CENTURY [MERCURIAN]

SS@ 4
GOTG@ 1/2
*GOTG 1-FB
*GOTG 1
*GOTG 2
*GOTG 3
*GOTG 4
*GOTG 5
*GOTG 6
IW 5

PHOTON [CENTAURIAN] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 3
GOTG 4
GOTG 5
GOTG 6

SCANNER [SNARK] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 3
GOTG 4
GOTG 5
GOTG 6

STARHAWK/STAKAR | 31ST CENTURY [ARCTURAN]

SS@ 4
GOTG@ 1/2
*GOTG 1-FB
*GOTG 1
*GOTG 2
*GOTG 3
*GOTG 4
*GOTG 5
*GOTG 6

TACHYON | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 3
GOTG 4
GOTG 6

TASERFACE [STARK] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG 1
GOTG 2
GOTG 3
GOTG 4

UATU [WATCHER] | 31ST CENTURY
GOTG@ 1/2
*GOTG 2

YONDU/YONDU UDONTA | 31ST CENTURY [CENTAURIAN]

SS@ 4
GOTG@ 1/2
*GOTG 1-FB
*GOTG 1
*GOTG 2
*GOTG 3
*GOTG 4
*GOTG 5
*GOTG 6
NW 68
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy #1-6

Post by DonCampbell »

Your analyses of these issues are well-written and your synopses are concise (something I have never managed to do) but there were a few things that could have been added and a couple of errors.

First, in GOTG #4, I would have mentioned that Force was on the planet Entem when they found a clue in their copy of the book of Antag.

Second, in GOTG #5, you have mistakenly identified Yondu and Photon's race as "Alpha Centaurians" but they are actually known as "Centaurians." In the MU, the race-name "Alpha Centaurian" was given to an aquatic race who first appeared in an old Sub-Mariner story.

Third, in GOTG #6, Force don't "leave" so much as they are teleported away without warning by Main Frame. Also, the issue contains the first mention of "The Keeper" who warned the previous inhabitants of Main Frame's world of the coming of Galactus so that they could flee. The Keeper will be important later.

Finally, when these issues were written it was believed that the Guardians timeline (Earth-691) had been a possible future of the "mainstream" Marvel Earth (Earth-616) and that the two timelines had diverged due to the events in Marvel Two-In-One #69. However, it was later revealed/decided that Earth-616 and Earth-691 had actually diverged at some point much earlier than that. I believe that it was a discussion on the MCP boards (concerning the 1901 failed Martian invasion of Earth-691) which prompted that decision.

Don Campbell
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

DonCampbell wrote:Yondu and Photon's race as "Alpha Centaurians" but they are actually known as "Centaurians."
The handbooks say the same. Thanks!

Speaking of which, Interface is from the planet Uloc, but I can't find what that would be called in the handbooks. Ulocian? Ulocite? Also, Rancor (a descendant of Wolverine) and the other mutants are from the planet Haven. Would they be Havenites? Or something? Also also, The Spirit of Vengeance is from Sarka. Would he be a Sarkan? Or something else?
DonCampbell wrote:Finally, when these issues were written it was believed that the Guardians timeline (Earth-691) had been a possible future of the "mainstream" Marvel Earth (Earth-616) and that the two timelines had diverged due to the events in Marvel Two-In-One #69.
Yeah, the text pieces in the back of issues #1-4 and a feature in Annual #1 say exactly that. And to be fair, M/TIO 69 made it pretty clear that's what the intention was.
DonCampbell wrote:However, it was later revealed/decided that Earth-616 and Earth-691 had actually diverged at some point much earlier than that. I believe that it was a discussion on the MCP boards (concerning the 1901 failed Martian invasion of Earth-691) which prompted that decision.
Ooh, I'll have to find that in the archives. Thanks!
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Col_Fury wrote:Speaking of which, Interface is from the planet Uloc, but I can't find what that would be called in the handbooks. Ulocian? Ulocite? Also, Rancor (a descendant of Wolverine) and the other mutants are from the planet Haven. Would they be Havenites? Or something? Also also, The Spirit of Vengeance is from Sarka. Would he be a Sarkan? Or something else?
GOTG #15 established that Interface was, before the Universal Church of Truth's genocide, a member of "a council of Uloc elders." I may be wrong, but to me this seems to indicate that the people of Uloc were known as "Ulocs." It's similar to how crewmembers aboard a Terran starship would be called Terrans.

As for the people from Haven, I'm not aware of any instance in which they are called anything other than the "people from Haven" but Havenites sounds good to me.

As for the inhabitants of the planet Sarka, the Official Handbooks state that they are called "Sarks" but the only in-story reference that I could find was in GOTG #14 when Martinex called them "Sarkans." Of course, that may not be what THEY call themselves.
Col_Fury wrote:
DonCampbell wrote:However, it was later revealed/decided that Earth-616 and Earth-691 had actually diverged at some point much earlier than that. I believe that it was a discussion on the MCP boards (concerning the 1901 failed Martian invasion of Earth-691) which prompted that decision.
Ooh, I'll have to find that in the archives. Thanks!
That would be the "Martians in the MU" topic from almost ten years ago. Actually, a more relevant posting would be this one from 2005 that I found stored on my computer.
Posted by Sean McQuaid on 6/28/2005, 7:02 am, in reply to "Re: September Handbook has Guardians Connection "
: Does the book finally establish whether or not
: Kilraven and the Guardians are in the same
: timeline?

This is addressed in the handbook, yes.

: Also, does it say that Earth-616
: branched off from the Guardians' timeline
: and that they share a common past?

This is touched on.

: There was a lot of discussion at the Marvel
: Chronology Project about this, because some
: people didn't like the idea that Earth-616
: had a Martian invasion in 1901 that no one
: ever talks about.

For what it's worth, even after reading every Guardians comic ever printed, even the handbook staff aren't totally certain of where and when the Guardians timeline first diverges from mainstream reality. The awakening of young Vance's mutant powers has often been cited in the comics as *the* divergence point, but it's clearly not the very first divergence point--there are too many conflicts or potential conflicts pre-dating that event.

It's possible that the timeline diverges as early as 1901, but it definitely diverges no later than sometime in the 1980s, and definitely does so before young Vance's mutant awakening.

-Sean
That "September Handbook" which is mentioned is OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE: ALTERNATE UNIVERSES 2005 whose KILLRAVEN entry had this to say:
“HISTORY: In1901, Earth-691 was invaded by Mars, as chronicled in H.G. Wells’ much-delayed historical novel The War of the Worlds. The Martians devastated Earth until they fell victim to Earth’s viruses, against which they were defenseless.”

Don Campbell
Last edited by DonCampbell on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

DonCampbell wrote:GOTG #15 established that Interface was, before the Universal Church of Truth's genocide, a member of "a council of Uloc elders." I may be wrong, but to me this seems to indicate that the people of Uloc were known as "Ulocs." It's similar to how members of a Terran council would be called Terrans.
Yep, it's right there on page 10, panel 2. Thanks!
DonCampbell wrote:As for the people from Haven, I'm not aware of any instance in which they are called anything other than the "people from Haven" but Havenites sounds good to me.
I haven't been able to find anything definitive yet, either. But I haven't read through the entire series yet.
DonCampbell wrote:As for the inhabitants of the planet Sarka, the Official Handbooks state that they are called "Sarks" but the only in-story reference that I could find was in GOTG #14 when Martinex called them "Sarkans." Of course, that may not be what THEY call themselves.
And that's on the last page, panel 1. How did I miss that? But you're right, people from Sarka may not call themselves "Sarkans."
DonCampbell wrote:That would be the "Martians in the MU" topic from almost ten years ago. Actually, a more relevant posting would be this one from 2005 that I found stored on my computer.
Awesome. :)
DonCampbell wrote:That "September Handbook" which is mentioned is OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE: ALTERNATE UNIVERSES 2005 whose KILLRAVEN entry had this to say:
“HISTORY: In1901, Earth-691 was invaded by Mars, as chronicled in H.G. Wells’ much-delayed historical novel The War of the Worlds. The Martians devastated Earth until they fell victim to Earth’s viruses, against which they were defenseless.”
Even better!

Thanks a bunch, Don! :D
-Daron Jensen
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Interface’s planet Uloc is Colu spelled backwards. Colu is the DC Universe's home to the android criminal Brainiac and his descendant Brainiac 5.