X-Men Origins: Emma Frost

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

X-Men Origins: Emma Frost

Post by Col_Fury »

X-MEN ORIGINS: EMMA FROST (July, 2010)
By Valerie D’orazio & Karl Moline

APPEARANCES:
Emma Frost (becomes White Queen, also in fb & fb-fb), Sebastian Shaw, Hellions (Thunderbird, Empath, Catseye, Tarot, Jetstream, Roulette), Winston Frost (in fb & FB-FB), Hazel Frost (in fb-fb), Adrienne Frost (in fb-fb), Cordelia Frost (in fb-fb), Christian Frost (in fb-fb), Charles Xavier (in fb), Moira MacTaggert (in fb), Wolverine (in fb), Storm (in fb), Colossus (in fb)

FLASHBACKS:
Emma Frost telepathically blasts her classmates when they tease her (fb). As a young girl, Emma Frost wanted to grow up to be a teacher, but her father told her it was a stupid goal. Her mother and siblings didn’t want to stand up to their father, so Emma got no help from them. When Emma reads a paper to the class, her classmates tease her and she instinctively blasts them telepathically (fb-fb). The next day, Charles Xavier and Moira MacTaggert try to recruit Emma into his school, but neither Emma nor her father will hear anything about it and throw them out. Emma’s father yells at her for interrupting him (fb). The White Queen prepares to torture the captive X-Men (fb).
SYNOPSIS:
Emma Frost works as a stripper in the Hellfire club. She’s not very good. When the crowd boos her she lashes out with her telepathy and storms off stage. In the dressing room, Sebastian Shaw congratulates Emma on using her powers and they become lovers. After they become the Black King and White Queen, Emma talks Sebastian into building a school. Emma trains the students (the Hellions), but she’s severe and cruel. She’s proud of herself.

NOTE:
The last page takes place between UX 129-130; of course this happens LONG before Emma starts training the Hellions. It’s probably not intended to be one, but this means the last page has to be a flashback.

Placement suggestions:

BLACK KING/SEBASTIAN SHAW
X:HC 4 (3 - 12)-FB
L:SS
X 29-FB
*XO:EF (1 - 22)
X 139 (12:1 - 12:4)-FB

X:HC 4 (19:2)-FB
*XO:EF (23:1 - 23:2)
X 139 (12:6 - 12:7)-FB

M/SH3 11/3
*XO:EF (23:3 - 24)
{UX 129}
UX 130
[IAGE 3]
UX 132
UX 133
UX 134
[IAGE 3/2]
COH 2
UX 135
*DR:CABAL /2-FB
UX 142

CATSEYE/"SHARON SMITH"

UX 502-FB
*XO:EF
{NM 16}

COLOSSUS III/PIOTR NIKOLAIEVITCH "PETER" RASPUTIN

UX 129 (16:4 - 17)
**UX 129 (delete)
*XO:EF-FB
UX 130

EMPATH/MANUEL ALFONSO RODRIGO DE LA ROCHA

UX 502-FB
{NM 16}

FROST, ADRIENNE
*XO:EF-FB-FB
GENX 48-FB
EF 1

FROST, CHRISTIAN
EF 4-FB
{EF 1}

FROST, CORDELIA
GENX 48-FB
EF 1

FROST, HAZEL
EF 1

FROST, WINSTON
*GENX 48-FB-BTS
EF 1

JETSTREAM/HAROUD IBN-SALLAH AL-RASHYD

UX 502-FB
{NM 16}

MACTAGGERT, MOIRA KINROSS

UX 273-FB
UX 300-FB

PROFESSOR X/CHARLES FRANCIS XAVIER

M/CP 88/2-FB
*XO:EF (13 - 19)-FB
UX 300-FB

UX 129 (12:5 - 17)
*XO:EF (30)-FB
UX 130

ROULETTE II/JENNY STAVROS

UX 502-FB
{NM 16}

STORM/ORORO MUNROE

UX 130

TAROT/MARIE-ANGE COLBERT

UX 502-FB
{NM 16}

THUNDERBIRD II/JAMES PROUDSTAR

UX 502-FB
{NM 16}

WHITE QUEEN II/EMMA GRACE FROST
*XO:EF (4:3 - 5:1)-FB
*XO:EF (13 - 19)-FB
GENX 48-FB
EF 1

X:DG 5/2
*XO:EF (1 - 22)
X 139 (12:1 - 12:4)-FB

X:HC 4 (19:2)-FB
*XO:EF (23:1 - 23:2)
X 139 (12:6 - 12:7)-FB

CX 34/2
*XO:EF (23:3 - 24)
{UX 129 (1 - 16:3)}
CX 35/2
*XO:EF (30)-FB
UX 130
UX 131
DR:CABAL /2 (4:3)-FB
XFOR 87-FB
UX 502-FB
*XO:EF (25 - 29)
UX 151

WOLVERINE/"LOGAN"/JAMES HOWLETT

UX 130
-Daron Jensen
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: X-Men Origins: Emma Frost

Post by Jason Doty »

The last page takes place between UX 129-130; of course this happens LONG before Emma starts training the Hellions. It’s probably not intended to be one, but this means the last page has to be a flashback.
I don't have the issue in front of me, but I don't think we ever saw where Emma started training the Hellions. We do know she had a school in UX 129. Why couldn't she have started training the others before trying to recruit Kitty? I'll pull it out after work. The Hellions first appeared around NM #15, Did we ever see them being recruited or when in other FB's?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

The White Queen was trying to recruit Kitty Pryde to her Academy in UX 129, so the Hellfire Club had a school at this time, yes. In XFOR 87-FB (placed after UX 131 and before UX 151, along with UX 502-FB), Tarot had already been with the Hellions for "five months." That's all fine. The problem is Proudstar.

Proudstar was a scrawny kid when Thunderbird died around UX 96 (he's seen in CX 3/2 at Thunderbird's funeral). By the time he showed up in NM 16, he's a big beefy guy. Proudstar needs time to grow up to be the big beefy guy seen training with the Hellions in UX 502-FB and XO:EF, and placing these scenes before UX 129 just doesn't give him enough time to do that.

I could have been much clearer about that in the original post. Sorry about that! :)
-Daron Jensen
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

Hey Fury,
I spent the afternoon looking for something that would preclude this issue from being placed where the author intended. I couldn't find any.

So if the reasoning is
Proudstar was a scrawny kid when Thunderbird died around UX 96 (he's seen in CX 3/2 at Thunderbird's funeral). By the time he showed up in NM 16, he's a big beefy guy. Proudstar needs time to grow up to be the big beefy guy seen training with the Hellions in UX 502-FB and XO:EF, and placing these scenes before UX 129 just doesn't give him enough time to do that.
I would contend that his super strength is a product of his mutant ability, and to leave this placed where the author intended, but if this is something you can't over look. How much "Marvel" time passed between UX 96 and 129? and how many years extra is between 129-and New Mutants 16?

It's not that I don't think your reasoning is sound. It just conflicts with where the comic is telling us (before UX 129) and I personally would rather go with what is shown, then explain why the move was made in the future with no in comic evidence to the contrary. Does any one else want to jump in before this is finalized?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Jason Doty wrote:I would contend that his super strength is a product of his mutant ability
Hmn. You might be on to something.
-Daron Jensen