Ultimate Spider-Man #1/2

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Chris McCarver
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Ultimate Spider-Man #1/2

Post by Chris McCarver »

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #1/2 (June 2003)

(Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley/Art Thibert/colorist and letterer uncredited)

Appearing: Betty Brant, J. Jonah Jameson, Danny Rand, Joe Robertson, Spider-Man, Ben Urich

(Wildly Out-of-Order) Flashback: Danny Rand attempts to intervene when a man attacks a man who chased a woman who shoplifted from his shoe store. Spider-Man, mistakenly assuming Danny was the immediate threat, intervenes and punches him out, only to find the woman was a shoplifter.

In Brief: The Bugle staff ruminate over whether to run a potentially embarrassing picture of Spider-Man.

Placement Suggestions (Note: The Ultimate Chronology found elsewhere online places this story between ULTSM 45 and 47 [#46 takes place out of publication order):

BRANT, BETTY
[…]
ULTSM 29
**ULTSM 0.5

JAMESON, J. JONAH
[…]
ULTSM 29
**ULTSM 0.5
ULTIMATUM:SMR 1 (9 - 29)-FB
[…]

**RAND, DANNY
**ULTSM 0.5 (7:5 - 7:6)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (10)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (3:4)-FB-VO
**ULTSM 0.5 (4)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (11)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (5 - 6)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (12 - 13:1)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (7:3)-FB

ROBERTSON, JOE “ROBBIE”
[…]
ULTSM 29
**ULTSM 0.5
ULTIMATUM:SMR 1-FB
[…]

SPIDER-MAN/PETER PARKER
[…]
ULTSM 32
**ULTSM 0.5 (10)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (8:1)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (11)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (5 - 6)-FB
**ULTSM 0.5 (12 - 13:1)-FB
ULTSIX 3
[…]

URICH, BEN
[…]
ULTSM 31
**ULTSM 0.5
ULTIMATUM:SMR 1-FB
[…]
chris "mac" mccarver
world's angriest creative mind
get down with the sickness at
http://www.chrismccarver.com
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ultimate Spider-Man #1/2

Post by Col_Fury »

For what it's worth, this was published the same month as ULTSM 38-39.

I don't know if 38-39 are in the middle of a story arc or something, and that after ULTSM 45 is the next open spot, but at a glance after ULTSM 45 seems like an odd choice. I would think placing it in the next available spot in the past (instead of in the future) is the way to go, essentially making it a flashback tale (instead of a flashforward tale).

Also, about five years ago cweed4 placed these flashbacks between ULTSM 13-14 in his Ultimate Spider-Man chronology. Not that I've been following his chronology, but I wonder why he placed the flashbacks so far in the past? Also, he didn't place the current day portion.

But anyway, because we don't have any ULTSM comics past ULTSM 32 in the MCP yet, it doesn't matter yet. Just talking out loud, I guess.

Thanks, Chris! :)
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

GCD says the Venom arc runs from U/SM 33-39.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I now see why cweed4 didn't place the "current" portion for Spider-Man; he only appears in the flashbacks. :oops:

However, if the Daily Bugle is thinking of running the photos from this fight, it would suggest the flashbacks were recent, and not long in the past.
Somebody wrote:GCD says the Venom arc runs from U/SM 33-39.
Thanks!

Poking around the internet, it look like the main story ends in ULTSM 38, and ULTSM 39 is a P.S. (where Peter wants to quit being Spider-Man, but Nick Fury tells him no). In ULTSM 40, Peter is looking for materials to repair his costume (I'm assuming it was damaged in ULTSM 33-38), and of course things continue into the next story arc.

Without reading the surrounding comics, placing this in publication order (between ULTSM 39-40) seems like a safe bet. If the costume thing is too much of a problem, I'd suggest placing this between ULTSM 32-33.

As for why cweed4 placed this so far in the past, Ultimate Iron Fist's handbook entry tells me that Danny went to prison for 6 months (released in 4) due to the events of this story. I'm thinking he placed this so far back to make the time references work. I'm still think this should go either between 32-33 or 39-40.

Thanks, everybody!
-Daron Jensen