Wolverine: First Class

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Paul Bourcier, Kevin W., Col_Fury, Arthur, JephYork, Somebody

User avatar
Somebody
Director
Director
Posts: 3035
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Wolverine: First Class

Post by Somebody » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:32 pm

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.co ... rst-class/

And the third verse is in the same key as the first two :)
Fred Van Lente wrote:2. These adventures of Wolverine and Kitty are going to be “in Marvel continuity,” right?

Yes, the first eight issues are set between X-MEN #139 and #150, so right after Jean Grey’s funeral at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga and right after Kitty Pryde shows up at Xavier’s school. Cyclops has struck out on his own after Jean’s death, leaving Storm the new leader.

3. How closely did you pay attention to the older issues of Uncanny that these stories are told “in between”? Is this similar to Untold Tales of Spider-Man, or is it a lot freer than that?

I think the average fan would be shocked to learn how much time and energy Marvel puts into getting continuity 100% right. Given the number of books and creators and the history involved perfection is never achieved, but when I started working here I was somewhat stunned at how seriously continuity is taken.

In fact, Marvel has a team of four or so crack X-Perts who pour over each Wolverine First Class script and make sure every iota slides neatly “into” the X-Men era mention above. You should see the memos I get! But it’s cool, it actually has enhanced the scripts and certainly hasn’t prevented me from telling any stories I want to tell.

And it means all our First Class tales are official parts of X-Men lore, in “616″ continuity, as they say, which is really exciting.
And yet, they've gone to the trouble of putting the wrong Wolvie costume in the cover :)

loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by loki » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:32 pm

Somebody wrote:http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.co ... rst-class/

And the third verse is in the same key as the first two :)
Fred Van Lente wrote:2. These adventures of Wolverine and Kitty are going to be “in Marvel continuity,” right?

Yes, the first eight issues are set between X-MEN #139 and #150, so right after Jean Grey’s funeral at the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga and right after Kitty Pryde shows up at Xavier’s school. Cyclops has struck out on his own after Jean’s death, leaving Storm the new leader.

3. How closely did you pay attention to the older issues of Uncanny that these stories are told “in between”? Is this similar to Untold Tales of Spider-Man, or is it a lot freer than that?

I think the average fan would be shocked to learn how much time and energy Marvel puts into getting continuity 100% right. Given the number of books and creators and the history involved perfection is never achieved, but when I started working here I was somewhat stunned at how seriously continuity is taken.

In fact, Marvel has a team of four or so crack X-Perts who pour over each Wolverine First Class script and make sure every iota slides neatly “into” the X-Men era mention above. You should see the memos I get! But it’s cool, it actually has enhanced the scripts and certainly hasn’t prevented me from telling any stories I want to tell.

And it means all our First Class tales are official parts of X-Men lore, in “616″ continuity, as they say, which is really exciting.
And yet, they've gone to the trouble of putting the wrong Wolvie costume in the cover :)
Nope. Fred misspoke. The stories are set between #138 and #150. Kitty joined in #138. Wolverine didn't change costumes until #139. So there is a small window for her to be at the school and him to be in the yellow costume.

User avatar
Col_Fury
Director
Director
Posts: 6310
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:37 am
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Post by Col_Fury » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:57 pm

So First Class is doing so well that it's getting a sequel? That's pretty cool.
-Daron Jensen

User avatar
Somebody
Director
Director
Posts: 3035
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Post by Somebody » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:00 pm

Col_Fury wrote:So First Class is doing so well that it's getting a sequel? That's pretty cool.
No - it got a sequel (v2). This is a spin-off running alongside it :)

Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:24 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by Starman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:28 am

Fred Van Lente wrote:About Wolvie’s costume:

My bad, I contradicted myself in the interview. I said both that the series takes place between #139 and #150 _and_ that it takes place between Jean Grey’s funeral and Cyclops’ return, which are not the same thing.

The latter statement is the more accurate one.

Jean’s funeral and Kitty’s arrival at the school both occur in #138 and Wolvie, as Brian pointed out, doesn’t get the brown costume until #139.

Wolverine First Class #1 takes place between #138 and #139, so our cover has got the right costume for him.

Like I said: we’re trying our darnedest to get the continuity right on this one.
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.

Ocean Doot
Big Bad
Big Bad
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:36 pm

Post by Ocean Doot » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:26 pm

So that cover features Kitty circa X-Men 138, huh? I wonder if the first story involves her getting temporary breast implants for an undercover assignment ...

Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:24 am
Location: Sweden

Post by Starman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:45 pm

Drastic measures like surgery is not necessary. It's not uncommon for teen-girls to stuff their bras. :-P
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.

User avatar
Somebody
Director
Director
Posts: 3035
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by Somebody » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:14 pm


User avatar
Somebody
Director
Director
Posts: 3035
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by Somebody » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:31 pm


Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:24 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by Starman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:22 pm

I see that Xavier mentions Magneto's Brotherhood even though Magneto didn't have a brotherhood at this point, unless I'm misremembering something... :?
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:34 am

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by wolframbane » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:35 am

An observations, based on the preview, the date is given as August 20 (for Paul Bourcier's timeline notes).

Paul Bourcier
Director
Director
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:51 am
Location: Florida

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by Paul Bourcier » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:37 pm

wolframbane wrote:
An observations, based on the preview, the date is given as August 20 (for Paul Bourcier's timeline notes).
That's several weeks earlier than my estimate, which in turn is earlier than Olshevsky's estimate. The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men, Vol. 1 placed the Hellfire Saga in late October while I place it in late September. The reference to "mid-winter" in the Hellfire Saga was noted as topical.
Paul B.

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:34 am

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by wolframbane » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:18 am

Paul Bourcier wrote:wolframbane wrote:
An observations, based on the preview, the date is given as August 20 (for Paul Bourcier's timeline notes).
That's several weeks earlier than my estimate, which in turn is earlier than Olshevsky's estimate. The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men, Vol. 1 placed the Hellfire Saga in late October while I place it in late September. The reference to "mid-winter" in the Hellfire Saga was noted as topical.
Also, UX 171 states that the night Phoenix died (as well as the night that Madeline Pryor believed she had her plane crash) was omn September 1.

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:34 am

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by wolframbane » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:54 am

For placement of this story, it would be after UX 138, when Kitty moved to the mansion, but before UX 139, when she was first shown in costume. In W:FC 1, she states it is the first time she is in costume. Wolverine was last shown in his yellow costume in UX 137 and UX@ 4, and then in his brown costume in UX 139, and is in his yellow costume in W:FC 1. I cannot say if he will continue to wear his yellow costume throughout the series, but if he does and it overlaps with post-UX 139, we could assume he alternates. I would suggest:

ANGEL III/WARREN KENNETH WORTHINGTON III
...
UX 138
M/TE 27
W:FC 1
UX 139
...

COLOSSUS III/PETER RASPUTIN
...
UX 138
UX@ 4
*W:FC 1
UX 139
...

NIGHTCRAWLER/KURT WAGNER
...
UX 138
UX@ 4
*W:FC 1
UX 139
...

PROFESSOR X
...
UX 138
UX@ 4
*W:FC 1
UX 139
...

SHADOWCAT/KATHERINE "KITTY" PRYDE
...
UX 138
UX@ 4
*W:FC 1
UX 139
...

STORM
...
UX 138
UX@ 4
*W:FC 1
UX 139
...

WOLVERINE
...
UX 138
UX@ 4
*W:FC 1
UX 139
...

JephYork
Director
Director
Posts: 4613
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:10 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Wolverine: First Class

Post by JephYork » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:06 am

I cannot say if he will continue to wear his yellow costume throughout the series
I'm fairly sure that early interviews have said that, after this first issue, he'll switch to the brown costume.

Fingers crossed.

-Jeph!

Locked