Amazing Spider-Man Family?

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Amazing Spider-Man Family?

Post by TheDeuce »

from the "letters" page at the end of the latest ASM: "...and a relaunch of Spider-Man Family as Amazing Spider-Man Family this summer (featuring a very married "Mr. and Mrs. Spider-Man" as well as in-continuity stories exploring the world of BRAND NEW DAY)."

now, i've never read Spider-Man Family because i kinda gathered that it wasn't exactly canon. Stephen Wacker's comments here seem to suggest that the relaunch will feature stories of Peter and Mary Jane still married, but also have stores taking place within the canon Marvel Universe post BND. or am i reading that wrong?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Amazing Spider-Man Family?

Post by JephYork »

I think the "Mr. and Mrs. Spider-Man" stories are set as a sort of "prequel" to Spider-Girl, telling stories about May's parents. In other words, they're not pre-OMD 616-canon ... they're MC2-canon.

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

jephyork wrote:I think the "Mr. and Mrs. Spider-Man" stories are set as a sort of "prequel" to Spider-Girl, telling stories about May's parents. In other words, they're not pre-OMD 616-canon ... they're MC2-canon.
Now, they may not be MU-canon, but given that the MC2 divergence point is basically when DeFalco left Amazing Spider-Man the last time and Peter had his leg blown off & retired in short order... are you really sure about that, or are you just assuming?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Well, I did start the sentence off with "I think", didn't I?

-Jeph!
michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by michaelyuri »

Somebody wrote:Now, they may not be MU-canon, but given that the MC2 divergence point is basically when DeFalco left Amazing Spider-Man the last time and Peter had his leg blown off & retired in short order... are you really sure about that, or are you just assuming?
DeFalco confirmed that these stories are MC-2 canon on the Spider-Girl board:
http://www.comicboards.com/spidergirl/v ... 0320100704

It will include a young May Parker, so it's definitely not 616:
http://www.comicboards.com/spidergirl/v ... 0320013520
-Mike
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Spider-Man Family did have canon-616 stories, but most(all?) of them were in the past.

After the relaunch, it sounds like the canon-616 stories will now be in the current day.

Yay, Spider-Man!
-Daron Jensen
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

Col_Fury wrote:After the relaunch, it sounds like the canon-616 stories will now be in the current day.
that's what i was thinking was being said. so, how does this book work? are their multiple stories in the issues. it seems kind of weird to me to have MC2 stories and current 616 stories within the same book.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

As it was, Spider-Man Family had two new stories(not always both canon-616), a reprint,(mostly from the '70s) and a Spider-Man J reprint.(Japanese Manga Spider-Man)

This new format makes more sense to me, in that it will have stories from series currently being published. Some Amazing stories and some MC2 stories, kind of like a sampler. People can pick up Amazing Family, and if they like the Brand New Day stuff they can look to Amazing. If they like Mr. & Mrs. Spider-Man they can look to Spider-Girl. That makes more sense to me than basically saying 'Hey, look! Spider-Man Manga!'
-Daron Jensen
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

Incidentally, this Mr. and Mrs..... series is an homage to Superman Family's Mr. and Mrs. Superman series, largely written by E. Nelson Bridwell. It featured the Earth-2 Kents in the 1950's.

Superman Family 186-187, 195-196, 198-199, 201-222
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

Enda80 wrote:Incidentally, this Mr. and Mrs..... series is an homage to Superman Family's Mr. and Mrs. Superman series,
Source, please?

watching: weather radar
I can't promise you that things will improve, if we make changes;
I can promise you that they won't improve, if we don't.

Adventures in the Marvelous Zone! A Girl's View of the Marvel Universe
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

I admit this is a bit of conjecture on my part, but the coincidence gap really goes down when you consider things. An alternate Earth version of the hero's married life?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

I, uh, just don't think that my choices are either (a) an homage or (b) a coincidence.

homage: anything given or done to show the reverence, honor, etc., in which a person [or object] is held.

I just don't think that Spider-Man Family is intended to show the reverence in which Marvel or its creators holds Superman Family. At the same time, I don't see how coincidence might enter into it.

As I understand your usage of the word, Avengers is an homage to Justice League, Dateline: NBC is an homage to 60 Minutes, and the Green River Killer was an homage to Jack the Ripper. I just don't see it.

I don't think anyone would claim that any of the successors were "coincidences." But to my mind, there's no homage there.

watching: torchwood (which is, of course, an homage to buffy)

Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

Re Avengers and JLA, you are familiar with the story that Goodman had Stan Lee create the FF after he saw the JLA?
Russ Chappell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Russ Chappell »

What's your point? That doesn't make it an homage.

You think Goldman said, "Stan, in honor of the Justice League, I want you to create the Fantastic Four?" Or do you think Goldman said, "Stan, the Justice League is making money; let's make some money, too."

Aside from that, how do we get from (a) Goldman telling Stan to create the Fantastic Four after seeing JLA to (b) Marvel publishing Spider-Man Family as a way to honor Superman Family?

"Connect the dots, man...connect the dots."

watching: top hat

TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

i think this has turned into an argument about semantics and i don't see the point in it.