the TWELVE 1

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: the TWELVE 1

Post by Col_Fury »

I'd be willing to bet $5 that he didn't.
-Daron Jensen
loki
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by loki »

Col_Fury wrote:I'd be willing to bet $5 that he didn't.
You'd win that bet. Just checked the issue, no eyepatch.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Thanks loki!
-Daron Jensen
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Also note that the name for Mr. E in TWELVE 1 of "Vince Jay" was wrong. It is actually Victor Jay, given in DARING MYSTERY COMICS 2/5 and properly used in TWELVE 3. Also note he also was revealed to really be Victor J. Goldstein in TWELVE 3.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Okay, Golden Age fans, I think there are a few characters that we missed in the big fight scene. Any GA experts, can you confirm any of these characters? And any placement suggestions?

TWELVE 1 (2). The woman in a black mask between Dynamic Man and Dum Dum Dugan.She is easily identifiable as Miss Fury.
http://www.geocities.com/jjnevins/fury.html

TWELVE 1 (3:1). The guy with a green costume, red belt, yellow cape, boots and gloves, to the left of Bucky. Only his back is seen.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

That really looks like the Young Avenger's costume, but he's not wearing a mask like the Young Avenger was in his only other appearance in USA COMICS 1/5.

I suppose the art could have been miscolored in TWELVE 1, giving him an exposed neck and brown hair with the rest in shadow, or he could have just taken the mask off.

But yeah, that looks like the Young Avenger to me. And good catch on Miss Fury!
-Daron Jensen
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

If it is possibly miscolored, I suppose it could also be Marvel Boy, particularly with the swashbuckler boots. I am going to look through http://www.geocities.com/copperagecomics/index.html and see if I can turn up anything. Thanks Colfury
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

This appearance of Miss Fury seems to bring her into the Marvel Universe. I do not think she has appeared in the MU since her initial appearance in MISS FURY 1-8, published by Timely from 1942-1946, and these stories were themselves reprints from earlier newspaper strips which started in 1941 and ran to 1952. The character would not appear again in new stories until the 1990s with Miss Fury #1-4 and Protectors #10-20, being the grandaughter of the original and published by Malibu Comics. These stories had characters which were considered "public domain" and occur in the "Genesis Universe". Although Marvel later bought Malibu and even published comics from its Ultraverse line as an alternate universe in Marvel continuity, the Genesis Universe was not connected to it and I don't know if it is owned by Marvel.

For placement of the Earth-616 Miss Fury, I suggest:

MISS FURY/MARLA DRAKE/"BLACK FURY"
MISS FURY 1
MISS FURY 2
MISS FURY 3
MISS FURY 4
MISS FURY 5
MISS FURY 6
MISS FURY 7
MISS FURY 8
TWELVE 1
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

If it were Marvel Boy, either one, then the entire costume would be miscolored... and both versions wear a mask.

If it's Young Avenger, then either his head is miscolored or he's not wearing his mask. The rest of of the costume is a match.
-Daron Jensen
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Hey Colfury. I think your placement for Red Raven may be a bit off. You have it placed right after RED RAVEN 1.

RED RAVEN
RED RAVEN 1
*TWELVE 1
UX 44-FB-BTS
SUB-M 26-FB-BTS
T@ 12/2-FB
UX 44-FB
T@ 12/2-FB
SUB-M 26-FB
SUB-M 26-FB
UX 44-FB
M/PRM 29
INV 6
M/PRM 30
INV 35-FB
INV 36
INV 37
INV 38
M/CP 160/4
INV 38
SUB-M 26-FB
UX 44-FB
SUB-M 26-FB
UX 44-FB

The problem is that his appearance in TWELVE 1 occurs in 1945, but your placement has it well before the INV series in 1942. I would suggest it occurs between INV 38 (circa 1942) and SUB-M 26-FB and UX 44-FB (after he returns to Bird Island after WWII).

RED RAVEN
RED RAVEN 1
UX 44-FB-BTS
SUB-M 26-FB-BTS
T@ 12/2-FB
UX 44-FB
T@ 12/2-FB
SUB-M 26-FB
SUB-M 26-FB
UX 44-FB
M/PRM 29
INV 6
M/PRM 30
INV 35-FB
INV 36
INV 37
INV 38
M/CP 160/4
INV 38
*TWELVE 1
SUB-M 26-FB
UX 44-FB
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by ShadZ »

wolframbane wrote:[[Miss Fury]] would not appear again in new stories until the 1990s with Miss Fury #1-4 and Protectors #10-20, being the grandaughter of the original and published by Malibu Comics. These stories had characters which were considered "public domain" and occur in the "Genesis Universe".
Just to clairify: The Genesis universe is built on public domain superheroes, mostly from Centaur Comics. But Miss Fury is apparently not in the public domain; her appearances at Malibu were licensed from Tarpé Mills's heirs.
wolframbane wrote:Although Marvel later bought Malibu and even published comics from its Ultraverse line as an alternate universe in Marvel continuity, the Genesis Universe was not connected to it and I don't know if it is owned by Marvel.
It is. The universe is mentioned briefly in the back of the Alternate Universes handbook.
ShadZ
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

ShadZ wrote:
wolframbane wrote:Although Marvel later bought Malibu and even published comics from its Ultraverse line as an alternate universe in Marvel continuity, the Genesis Universe was not connected to it and I don't know if it is owned by Marvel.
It is. The universe is mentioned briefly in the back of the Alternate Universes handbook.
Goodness you are right. According to the handbook it is Earth-1136. I just wonder if the Miss Fury seen is from Earth-616 or Earth-1136?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

wolframbane wrote:The problem is that his appearance in TWELVE 1 occurs in 1945, but your placement has it well before the INV series in 1942. I would suggest it occurs between INV 38 (circa 1942) and SUB-M 26-FB and UX 44-FB (after he returns to Bird Island after WWII).
:shock: :outtahere:
Good catch!
-Daron Jensen
ShadZ
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by ShadZ »

wolframbane wrote:Goodness you are right. According to the handbook it is Earth-1136. I just wonder if the Miss Fury seen [in The Twelve 1] is from Earth-616 or Earth-1136?
Interesting question... I was first going to say that it must be the Earth-616 Miss Fury, because why would we assume inter dimensional travel with no evidence? But now I see your point. Protectors 10 revealed the Miss Fury Comic strip (and the 90s miniseries) happened on Earth-1136. And since the 1940s Miss Fury series was just reprints of the comic strip, they must belong on Earth-1136 too.

So, if the Miss Fury in The Twelve 1 is from Earth-616, this would be her first appearance, But if she is from Earth-1136, then she is an existing character (with an unexplained universe jump). So which is worse -- assuming dimensional travel, or assuming a brand new Miss Fury?
ShadZ
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Now, this will sound like semantics, but... is there any evidence that the Miss Fury comic DIDN'T occur in the MU *as well as* the PH Earth?