Iron Man movie; heads up!(no spoilers)

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Iron Man movie; heads up!(no spoilers)

Post by Col_Fury »

Stick around until after the credits!

I haven't seen it yet, but a reliable source told me that there's a PS after the credits. Don't miss it!
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Iron Man movie; heads up!(no spoilers)

Post by Somebody »

I've been told the same thing - and that it's at the very, very end of the credits (as opposed to during the credits, like the "post-credits" scenes of Transformers & Hellboy)
newtron
Hero
Hero

Post by newtron »

just saw it, and it's absolutely worth sticking around for
the spider-man project: http://spiderman.whiskeyclone.net
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I just saw it as well, and yes it IS absolutely worth sticking around for. :D
-Daron Jensen
Agent of Shield
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Agent of Shield »

Methinks, Col Fury, that you may desire to change your image in the coming months?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I used to change it out every other week, and eventually settled on the Kirby over there. Maybe it is time for a change-up... :wink:
-Daron Jensen
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

Col_Fury wrote:I used to change it out every other week, and eventually settled on the Kirby over there. Maybe it is time for a change-up... :wink:
change the avatar all you like, but the sig is what i enjoy the most. i can't quite remember what the one before the current one was, but i really liked them both. kudos to you!

oh, and to at least to be sort of on topic, i was kind of trying to not see the Iron Man movie, is it really worth it? if it's a good flick and, even though i hate Tony Stark within the Marvel continuity, you all think i might enjoy, i might have to shell out the bucks to go see it.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

"Fury's gonna stay lost as long as he wants to stay lost. He kinda, from what I understand, wrote the book on it." -the President :)

Thanks buddy!
TheDeuce wrote:i was kind of trying to not see the Iron Man movie, is it really worth it?
I saw it twice, Friday & Sunday, and when tickets are $7 each that doesn't happen often. That's $28, not including popcorn both times, because Mrs. Fury wanted to see it again too.

If that doesn't convince you, I don't know what will. :)

You know what? I think I'll start a poll!
-Daron Jensen
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

got back from seeing it just a little bit ago. i thought it was pretty damn good. not amazing (i voted for the second option in the poll). so better than expected.
Spoiler:
they really set it up for War Machine to be in the second one, if they make a second one, with his "Next time" comment

interesting bit at the end of credits with the black Nick Fury. maybe their getting ready for a shot at Avengers movies? i heard there was a Captain America one in the works, which i'm really excited for.
i know the thread title says no spoilers, but i did use the spoiler function, so i figured that'd be okay, if not feel free to edit my post.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

TheDeuce wrote:so i figured that'd be okay
Works for me! :)

This part isn't really a spoiler, it was announced on Monday:

There will be a second Iron Man movie in theaters on April 30, 2010. 'Thor' is coming summer of 2010, 'The First Avenger: Captain America' is coming summer of 2011, and 'The Avengers' will also be summer 2011.

Color me excited! :)
-Daron Jensen
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

hell yeah! i don't know that, fury. thanks for the news!
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by Enda80 »

I enjoyed most aspects of the film, but I do see one probable misstep that may have prevented a promising story idea for a sequel.
Spoiler:
Tony Stark admits to being Iron Man at the end of the film. I can imagine that may have jettisoned the conceit of Tony Stark pretending that Iron Man's true identity is that of a Stark Enterprises employee whose identity remains confidential for security purposes.

They may jettisoned have this idea because they figured that there was no way that people would not connect Iron Man with Stark Enterprises. After all, Stark Enterprises was a prominent part of the Iron Man series from the start, in contrast to, say, Wayne Enterprises, which, despite its prominence in Batman Begins, was not added to the Batman series till thirty to forty years in (check with John Wells for an exact figure). The Batman in Batman Begins does not use extremely advanced technology, so there is no obvious reason for people to connect the Batman with Wayne Enterprises, but since Iron Man uses technology well in advance of that which the Batman used in Batman Begins, there would be no way that outsiders would not connect Stark Enterprises with Iron Man. Who else would have the technology?

However, there are actually a few good reasons for Stark to pretend that Iron Man is another person
1. every occasion that he went out as Iron Man, his company's stock would plummet, as board members and investors would object to the "golden goose" brainchild, the expected source of the company's future innovations, would be risking his life
2. Stark is very concerned about misuse of his technology, and could trust few people to use the armor without helping other pirate the designs and thus help in the proliferation of the weapons system
3. as seen in the Armor Wars, the pretense that Iron Man was a different person than Stark allowed Stark plausible deniability. When he disagreed with SHIELD and others about issues regarding the proliferation of his technology, he claimed that Iron Man (Randall Pierce, see below) had gone rogue. Stark was thus able to distance himself from Iron Man's actions without overly jeopardizing important alliances.

Now, I mentioned that by having Stark reveal himself as Iron Man they eliminate some interesting plot possibility for sequels. Well, my reference to the Armor Wars under #3 is what I had in mind. They could have done an adaptation of the Armor Wars for a sequel. It has been established that Stark is strongly opposed at the thought of his innovations being used by terrorists, so the Armor Wars could have been adapted. But sadly, now that Stark has revealed himself as Iron Man, there is pretty much no way to do the Armor Wars.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
As revealed in Iron Man #227, Randall Pierce was hired by Tony Stark years ago to be Iron Man. After Iron Man went rogue on his Armor Wars vendetta, Tony had to fire him. He then helped Nick Fury and SHIELD track him down—or at least that’s what Tony Stark told everybody.

After the Armor Wars brought him a lot of heat (both legal and p.r. troubles), Stark doctored up a dossier and files, inventing a guy named Randall Pierce to take the blame. After Abe Zimmer hacked Pierce’s records into key government databases, even SHIELD bought the story. And just like that, as far as the world knew, it was Pierce who fought the Armor War and who was killed in #230 fighting Firepower.