Where to Start? (Avengers, Doom, Galactus)

For communicating with your fellow chronologists with off-topic stuff.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

cragisnutter
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Where to Start? (Avengers, Doom, Galactus)

Post by cragisnutter »

Well, I'm new to the boards and newly returning to the world of comic-dom. I used to read when i was a kid, but it wasn't much, bit of X-Men 90's releases.

Basically i wanna get into things. I recently bought The Essential Avengers Volume 1 and i'm working my way through that. But i wanna read anything and everything Avengers, Dr. Doom and Galactus related (plus any big cool sets you care to think of: Secret Wars, Heralds etc).

Is it worth my trying to go Chronologically, or should i just get things as i find them??

Basically, any help, any ideas are apreciated guys, thx.

Craig.
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Where to Start? (Avengers, Doom, Galactus)

Post by Starman »

cragisnutter wrote:Is it worth my trying to go Chronologically, or should i just get things as i find them??
Get the things as you find them, as you never know when and if you find them again, but when you're re-reading them, read them chronologically, that's adds another dimension to the reading. :)
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
John Simons
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by John Simons »

Craig:

I recommend that you pick up the Avengers DVD ROM if it is still in print. Personally, my preferred method of reading comics is not on a computer screen, but really the convenience and price (40+ years worth of comics for under 50 bucks) can't be beat. It's an instant Avengers collection and it won't take up 3 long boxes in your house.

As far as Doom and Galactus go, there's a dual FF/Silver Surfer DVD-Rom out there, as well.
"Jessica, whatever you do...don't contradict the continuity! They'll eat you alive! They'll. Eat. You. Alive!"
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

John Simons wrote:Craig:

I recommend that you pick up the Avengers DVD ROM if it is still in print. Personally, my preferred method of reading comics is not on a computer screen, but really the convenience and price (40+ years worth of comics for under 50 bucks) can't be beat. It's an instant Avengers collection and it won't take up 3 long boxes in your house.

As far as Doom and Galactus go, there's a dual FF/Silver Surfer DVD-Rom out there, as well.
i do believe these DVDs are "out of print" now though, so act fast, or miss the train!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Secret Wars is one of my all-time favorite Dr. Doom stories. :)

Starman deserves a raise!
Starman wrote:Get the things as you find them, as you never know when and if you find them again, but when you're re-reading them, read them chronologically, that's adds another dimension to the reading. :)
Because that's exactly my feelings on the subject.

Welcome back to comics, Craig! And welcome to the Chronology Project!
-Daron Jensen
cragisnutter
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by cragisnutter »

The guys, some fantastic help there.

Quick additional question:

Anyone tell me a chronological order for the Civil War TPB. I can't find a definitive 1, on various google searches.

craig.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock:

...Fetch me a drink. You're in for a long night.

-Jeph!
cragisnutter
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by cragisnutter »

ah, it's like that is it? lol

Well, if anyone can email me or chat to me on msn about it, you're more than welcome to.

You can catch me on craigisnutter@hotmail.co.uk
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

i'm a big fan of chronological reading. just thought i'd through in on what order to read. as long as you already have a general understand of major events i think this is the best way to go about things.
cragisnutter
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by cragisnutter »

That is a worry for me, i'm not 100% sure on the 'major events'.

Obviously there is Secret Invasion, as its hard to not know about that atm on various comic reference sites. I know of Secret Wars and got that myself already.
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

cragisnutter wrote:That is a worry for me, i'm not 100% sure on the 'major events'.
I found an article on Wikipedia that might help.

Major events of the Marvel Universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_even ... l_Universe
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

Starman wrote:
cragisnutter wrote:That is a worry for me, i'm not 100% sure on the 'major events'.
I found an article on Wikipedia that might help.

Major events of the Marvel Universe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_even ... l_Universe
well done! that should help.

i haven't read as much as many people 'round here, but just kicking around the 'net a bit usually brings me up to speed enough to know what they're talking about if i haven't read the issues in question.