Spider-Man Family v2 #9

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Spider-Man Family v2 #9

Post by michaelyuri »

Spider-Man Family v2 #9

Story #1: The Guy Who Turns Into the Hulk
Writer: Paul Tobin
Artist: Derec Aucoin

Characters Appearing:
Doctor Octopus, Hulk, Marvel Girl, Spider-Man

Synopsis:
Marvel Girl (Jean Grey), Spider-Man, and Bruce Banner are hanging out in New York. We learn through dialogue and a flashback that Banner and Marvel Girl were aboard the SHIELD Helicarrier when a UFO was sighted. Fury didn't want to pursue it with Banner on board, so he released Banner into Marvel Girl's custody and contacted Spider-Man to help her out.

They keep stumbling into criminal activity, which Spider-Man and Marvel Girl need to deal with while keeping Banner out of the way. Spider-Man keeps hearing news reports about Doctor Octopus going on a rampage, but he can't respond because he's trying to keep Banner out of trouble. Finally, when they learn that Doc Ock has taken a hostage, they go to stop him, telling Banner to stay out of the way.

Doc Ock defeats Spider-Man and Marvel Girl. Banner learns that the reason he's been staying so calm is that SHIELD injected him with a dampening agent. This makes him angry, and after being grabbed by Doc Ock, Banner turns into the Hulk and smashes him. The Hulk leaps off into the distance and then the police arrive to haul off Doctor Octopus.

Flashback:
Nick Fury, Hulk

Continuity Notes:
I don't see any glaringly obvious reasons why this couldn't be canon, but I don't know how it lines up with the different characters' chronologies. The entire story takes place over a few hours, and the flashback happens immediately before the main story. Here are some placement clues that I noticed:

Marvel Girl is wearing her classic green dress with yellow mask, gloves, and boots. She was on board the SHIELD helicarrier (no explanation given) before the story began.

Spider-Man is in his standard Red & Blue (no underarm webs).

Banner is wearing a tweed jacket and bowtie. The Hulk has no dialogue, but it's pretty clear that this is the Savage Hulk given the way everyone is terrified of Banner transforming. Sometime before the story began, Banner had been captured by Shield agents and was being held for observation.

Doctor Octopus is taken away by the police at the end of the story.

It appears to be summer time (or at least relatively warm weather). The trees are green and leafy and several random people are shown wearing short sleeves.

------------------------------

Story #2: Identity
Writer: Tony Lee
Penciler: Ramon Bachs

Characters Appearing:
Aunt May, Spider Man

Synopsis:
Peter Parker is at the corner grocery, when someone dressed as Spider-Man enters. Peter learns that "Spider-Man" has been visiting every night for the last month and they've been giving him free food.

Peter follows the imposter and learns that its actually a homeless kid. He goes home, and after a brief talk with Aunt May he decides to look for the kid and find out his story. Spider-Man finds the kid being beaten by thugs in an alley. He starts to help, but gets hit from behind and knocked down. The kid jumps in to help him and Spider-Man scares the thugs away. Spider-Man tells the kid he has a plan to help him out.

The next night Peter arrives at the grocery where the kid is now working stocking shelves. The owner tells Peter that Spider-Man returned the previous night and asked if they would hire the kid.

Continuity Notes:
The story takes place in two evenings. The first nine pages occur in one Friday night beginning at 8:55 PM. The tenth and final page happens on Saturday at 8:55 PM.

Spider-Man is wearing his standard Red & Blue (no underarm webs). He's living with Aunt May who doesn't seem to know that he's Spider-Man. As Peter Parker he is wearing glasses throughout. When he sees the imposter take off his mask he thinks "He's a kid, no more than my age, living on the streets."

Everyone is wearing jackets or sweatshirts outside, but there's no snow on the ground and some trees with leaves are visible in the background of one panel. It starts raining when Peter's on his way home, but is no longer raining when he goes out again later.

The owner of the grocery (Fong's) is named Mrs. Fong. I don't see an obvious MCP listing for her, so I'm assuming she's a one-off character.

Story #3: Reprint of Venom: Lethal Protector #3
V:LP 3 is already in the MCP.

Story #4: Reprint of Spider-Man: Death & Destiny #3
SM:D&D 3 is already in the MCP

Story #5: Impending Doom
Original Story and Art: Yamanaka Akira
Translation: Yuko Fukami
English Adaptation: Marc Sumerak

Characters Appearing:
Doctor Doom, Human Torch, Spider-Man, Thing

Synopsis:
Spider-Man meets the Human Torch and the Thing who have followed Doctor Doom to Japan. After Johnny goes off on his own, Spider-Man and the Thing find that Doom has captured him.

Continuity Notes:
This is a Spider-Man J story.

-Mike
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Spider-Man Family v2 #9

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thank you for the analysis, Mike.

The second story must occur before ASM 8, since Peter is wearing his glasses. Off hand, based on no other clue except weather, I'd place the story between September's UTSM 2 and November's A 1.5.

The first story must occur after UX 39, given Jean's costume. But I just don't know how the combination of Hulk with Jean and Spidey and the SHIELD context might fit into known continuity. Can anyone shed more light on this?
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Given Jean’s costume, we’re looking roughly at Uncanny 39 through about-ish Uncanny 100. That tail-end is wonky, though, because during the reprint era the X-Men were back in their training uniforms, then back into their ‘new’ uniforms by Giant-Size #1. The Hidden Years had them in their ‘new’ uniforms, but Jean was back in her training suit by issue 7. So really, to make this a comfortable fit for Jean, we’re looking at Uncanny 39 through 66, which would be roughly books from January 1968 through mid-1970. Roughly.

For the Hulk, that would be Tales to Astonish 99 through Hulk 125, and yet there he is in Uncanny 66. So sometime before that, then.

For Spider-Man, ASM 56 through ASM 82, give or take.

For Fury and SHIELD, Strange Tales 164 through Avengers 72. This will constrict things a bit more, because Fury was ‘killed’ at the end of his book and was revealed to be alive shortly afterwards in Avengers 72, so sometime before Nick Fury 15, which knocks things down to the start of 1968 to the end of 1969. That gives us a publishing two year window, give or take.

Right smack in the middle of all of this is the wedding of Wasp & Yellowjacket in Avengers 60. In attendance are Spider-Man, Nick Fury, and Jean in her green miniskirt. Right after that in Nick’s chronology is Hulk 106-108, which then runs in a fairly continuous story through Hulk 120, 121. However, that Hulk plot had been running fairly continuously since before Tales to Astonish 99, so I would say after that, if only because during that monster story is where Betty finds out Bruce is the Hulk. By Uncanny 66, it seems his identity is no longer a secret.

HULK/DR. ROBERT BRUCE BANNER

H2 120
H2 121
*SMF2 9-FB
*SMF2 9

H2 122

According to Paul B’s Avengers Year-by-Year Calendar, this spot is between Avengers 65 & 66, between Iron Man 14 & 15, after Sub-Mariner 14, and around Uncanny 59. Uncanny started a fairly continuous story with issue 54, and 53 was fairly freestanding, so:

MARVEL GIRL/JEAN GREY SUMMERS

A 60
A: EMH2 6 (15-20)
UX 53
SUB-M 14
*SMF2 9
UX 54

FURY, COL. NICHOLAS "NICK" JOSEPH

IM 13
SUB-M 14
A 64-BTS
*SMF2 9-FB
*SMF2 9-BTS

UX 65-VO
CA 114

For Spider-Man, after Sub-Mariner 14 he’s in a fairly continuous plot from ASM 72 through 77. The Human Torch appears there between pages of FF 91, which is before Hulk 122 in the Torch’s chronology. ASM 78-79 happen ‘shortly’ afterwards, thanks to mention of the previous arc in dialogue, the same goes for ASM 80. There’s a nice break between ASM 80 & 81, so:

SPIDER-MAN/PETER BENJAMIN PARKER

SUB-M 14
ASM 72
ASM 73
ASM 74
ASM 75 (1 - 2:2)
DD 54
ASM 75 (2:3 - 20:5)
ASM 76
ASM 77
ASM 78
ASM 79
ASM 80
*SMF2 9
ASM 81

And to follow suit:

DOCTOR OCTOPUS/OTTO OCTAVIUS

ASM 56
*SMF2 9
ASM 88

How’s that look?
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Col_Fury wrote:
Given Jean’s costume, we’re looking roughly at Uncanny 39 through about-ish Uncanny 100. That tail-end is wonky, though, because during the reprint era the X-Men were back in their training uniforms, then back into their ‘new’ uniforms by Giant-Size #1. The Hidden Years had them in their ‘new’ uniforms, but Jean was back in her training suit by issue 7. So really, to make this a comfortable fit for Jean, we’re looking at Uncanny 39 through 66, which would be roughly books from January 1968 through mid-1970. Roughly.
Not necessariy before UX 66, since FFWGCM 3-4 and 11 show Jean in her green and yellow costume after UX 66. (FFWGCM is in the key but not yet in MCP chronologies.)

If we assume placement between ASM 80 and 81, then a chronological analysis across titles places SMF2 9 in October of Year 5 and yields the following...

Spidey also must appear in SM/HT 2 between ASM 80 and 81. I propose Spidey's chronology as:
ASM 80
SM/HT 2
SMF2 9
ASM 81

Nick Fury's chronology as:
IM 16
SMF2 9-FB
SMF2 9-BTS
IM 18
(unless there's no gap between IM 16 and 18, in which case I'd go:)
IM 18
SMF2 9-FB
SMF2 9-BTS
NFAOS 15

Hulk's chronology as:
UX 66
SMF2 9-FB
SMF2 9
H2 125

Jean's chronology as:
UX 66
SMF2 9
FFWGCM 3
FFWGCM 4
FFWGCM 11
X 94/2

Dock Ock's would be as Col_Fury suggests.

How about this?
Paul B.
newtron
Hero
Hero

Post by newtron »

Paul Bourcier wrote:How about this?
Marvel Girl says "But the Avengers weren't around, and neither were the Fantastic Four or Daredevil or Ghost Rider. Finally Fury contacted Spidey." Spidey responds "Ghost Rider?".

Did Ghost Rider exist yet at the proposed time? Does it make sense that none of these heroes would be available at this time?
the spider-man project: http://spiderman.whiskeyclone.net
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Marvel Spotlight #5 (Ghost Rider/Blaze's origin & first appearance) was cover-dated August 1972. UX 66, the last pre-reprint UX issue, was dated March 1970.

Could this take place between UX 94 & 99? (when Jean wasn't with the X-Men) Certainly, if GR is around, it would appear to be between UX 66 & 99.
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

Somebody wrote:Marvel Spotlight #5 (Ghost Rider/Blaze's origin & first appearance) was cover-dated August 1972. UX 66, the last pre-reprint UX issue, was dated March 1970.

Could this take place between UX 94 & 99? (when Jean wasn't with the X-Men) Certainly, if GR is around, it would appear to be between UX 66 & 99.
The original introduction to Ghost Rider/John Blaze was one long confrontation with "Satan"/Mephisto in Marvel Spotlight #5-11 (August - August, 1973). Assuming this story happens concurrently with 1970 X-Men issues would affect no other major characters. Blaze would not have his first crossover until "Ghost Rider" vol. 2 #1-2 (September - October, 1973) and Marvel Spotlight #12 (October, 1973), his first encounter with Daimon Hellstorm.
newtron
Hero
Hero

Post by newtron »

dimadick wrote:The original introduction to Ghost Rider/John Blaze was one long confrontation with "Satan"/Mephisto in Marvel Spotlight #5-11 (August - August, 1973). Assuming this story happens concurrently with 1970 X-Men issues would affect no other major characters. Blaze would not have his first crossover until "Ghost Rider" vol. 2 #1-2 (September - October, 1973) and Marvel Spotlight #12 (October, 1973), his first encounter with Daimon Hellstorm.
assuming that was the case, why would fury even consider contacting ghost rider? or know about him to contact him? i don't think it makes sense unless ghost rider has interacted with some of the rest of the MU.
Somebody wrote:Could this take place between UX 94 & 99? (when Jean wasn't with the X-Men) Certainly, if GR is around, it would appear to be between UX 66 & 99.
UX 94 is cover dated August 1975, which (probably) puts it after Spidey's team-up with Ghost Rider in M/TU 15 (November 1973). I interpreted Spidey's "Ghost Rider?" question as meaning he'd never heard of him, which wouldn't make sense if they'd already teamed up. I guess it could have a different reading, though, like "Ghost Rider? Why would they ask him before me?".

Some other possible continuity clues:
- Peter had been on a date earlier that day, so it should probably be at a time when he's seeing somebody
- Marvel Girl finishes a story "...so then this bozo we rescued called me a 'cutie.' me. a cutie." i don't know if this refers to something that happened in an x-men book
- Spidey doesn't seem to be running from the cops, and they don't seem to be after him. Other people really don't seem phased by Spidey, either, so presumably this isn't while he's a wanted man.
the spider-man project: http://spiderman.whiskeyclone.net