Celestials (group) chronological appearances?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

greboguru
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Celestials (group) chronological appearances?

Post by greboguru »

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I apologize if I'm asking something which has already been discussed. Also, if I'm breaking any rules or posting in the wrong forum, please forgive my ignorance. I'll be happy to revise my post or whatever else is called for. Anyway...

I LOVE THE CHRONOLOGY PROJECT!!!!!

I have found it incredibly useful. It's amazing. What a stupefying body of work. I can only imagine that Marvel's own editors must use the site a lot. Be that as it may, I've found that the site doesn't seem to do much Cross-Referencing (as it were). What I'm talking about is teams and/or groups. In my case, I'm specifically referring to the Celestials.

I've decided I MUST read every story that features them. (Giant Kirbian space gods, dude!) The chronology has made it possible for me to track down every issue in which the Celestials have appeared, and that ROCKS. However, the problem is that the Project only lists the chronological appearances of characters -- not teams. So although I know each appearance of, say, Arishem The Judge AND each appearance of Hargen The Measurer, I don't know the order in which their appearances happened.

For example (seriously, I'm totally making this up), let's say that in some comic Arishem evolves an alien race, then in his next appearance he punishes a space monster, and in his next appearance he attends a meeting with the other Celestials. (Around a cosmic water cooler.) Meanwhile, in some other comics, Hargen maps the universe, in his next appearance he tests the Hulk's strength, in his subsequent appearance he decides a race's evolutionary lifespan, and then he too attends the Celestial meeting. So. I know the order of each Celestial's appearance... but what I DON'T know is where their stories fit in with each other.

Has this been covered before? Am I asking for the impossible?

Thanks,

Grebo
John Simons
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Celestials (group) chronological appearances?

Post by John Simons »

I once compiled a full chronology of the mainstay Avengers (not all 80 of them, mind you, but the all the top guys you would associate with the team) by simply cut and pasting the individual chronologies and "shuffling" them together so they were one linear chronology. It was a crude and time consuming way of going about it, but it worked!
"Jessica, whatever you do...don't contradict the continuity! They'll eat you alive! They'll. Eat. You. Alive!"
greboguru
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by greboguru »

Makes sense... but how does one decide on where to "shuffle" each appearance? Did you just make it up? Herein lies my dilemma...
John Simons wrote:I once compiled a full chronology of the mainstay Avengers (not all 80 of them, mind you, but the all the top guys you would associate with the team) by simply cut and pasting the individual chronologies and "shuffling" them together so they were one linear chronology. It was a crude and time consuming way of going about it, but it worked!
cweed4
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by cweed4 »

You're just going to have to do a lot of cross-referencing. I have limited myself to the extensive chronology of Spider-Man but did a similar thing by incorporating Ben Reilly appearances into my list. That was only 2 characters, and they obviously line up fairly easily w/ separate appearances, but it still took a little time to put together. I would recommend just putting all their individual lists onto a simple spreadsheet and first line up the common appearances. Things should come into focus a little easier that way.

Good luck w/ the project and welcome to the site.
greboguru
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by greboguru »

Huh. So then, I guess nobody around here has undertaken such a project. Plum. :-|