Marvel Calendar -- Latest Edition Now Online

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Marvel Calendar -- Latest Edition Now Online

Post by Somebody »

We're sure, I presume, this isn't intended to be a resurrection?
cweed4
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by cweed4 »

Somebody wrote:We're sure, I presume, this isn't intended to be a resurrection?
Apparently not. As far as I know, he hasn't been used again in the 4+ years since this came out and Macendale was listed as dead in his SHIELD file from issue #1. Plus, the latest Jack O'Lantern (from Civil War) has been identified as a different person.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

cweed4 wrote:Plus, the latest Jack O'Lantern (from Civil War) has been identified as a different person.
I take your point on the rest - but Steve Levins, the one killed by the Punisher in CW, was the Jack O'Lantern who was a Cap villain in the latter part of Greunwald's run (and who fought Ben Reilly along with a bunch of other villains in SMU 12), not a new Jack (and who is weirdly conflated with DeMatteis' Mad Jack in the listings here, now I look...).

Here's how the Jack II and III listings should go (*=moved/changed, **=new, [issue]=not in MCP yet):

*JACK O'LANTERN II/STEVE LEVINS
{S-H2 30}
CA 396
CA 397
CA 398/2
CA 405/2
CA 406/2
CA 407/2
CA 408/2
CA 409
CA 410
AF 121
S-H2 59
**ASMU 12
*HOOD 2
*HOOD 3
*HOOD 4
*HOOD 6
[May or may not be other appearances in here between 2004 and Civil War]
[Civil War]
[Ghost Rider Casualties of War arc, body only]

**JACK O'LANTERN III/MAGUIRE "TERRY" BECK
See Mad Jack

MAD JACK/MAGUIRE "TERRY" BECK
*SM:MM 3-FB
*PPTSS 241
*PPTSS 242
*PPTSS 243
*PPTSS 244
*PPTSS 245
*PPTSS 246
*PPTSS 247
*PPTSS 248
*PPTSS 257
*PPTSS 258
SM:MM 1
SM:MM 2
SM:MM 3
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

That chronology I posted on this thread on August 5 seems to be holding up, given the narrative sequence in MARVEL:YOUR UNIVERSE SAGA. Just have to squeeze the end of Secret War in the slot between the end of the EotS/WAoS storyline and Disassembled, which occurs "almost immediately after" the Secret War finale. I'll need to figure out how to place the CA&F series, which includes Fury and ramps up to Disassembled.

MARVEL: YOUR UNIVERSE SAGA shows the following sequence:
Secret War end
("almost immediately after...") Disassembled
("shortly after...") Ragnarok
("meanwhile...") Skrullektra debuts
Raft breakout
Sentry challenge
House of M/M-Day
Hulk exiled
Son of M

Events after this may involve overlaps and the narration may not be entirely in chronological order. The shooting of Aunt May comes after the Mighty Avengers face Ultron, for example, but we all know it follows immediately after Civil War.

Of course, the totally revamped chronology does nothing to make Jessica Jones' pregnancy anything approaching a normal length. :roll:
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Wait... something's gone very wrong with that chronology. Secret War (the OYL part, at least) was meant to be just before NEW AVENGERS #1, not Disassembled - according to multiple Bendis interviews at the time of the much-delayed last issue, he actually rewrote it to sit there (and didn't the Pulse tie-in substantiate that?).
Brian Michael Bendis wrote: http://classic.newsarama.com/marvelnew/ ... W05Pre.htm
“The entire canvas of marvel has changed in the time this final issue has been put together,” Bendis said. “Not to mention that I wrote the first version of this story before my kid was born, and she can speak in full sentences now!

“But the down time has given me this wonderful opportunity to work this material right into the New Avengers and post House of M Marvel, and into what is coming next summer. It all fits together so nicely now. Plus we got to do the story in The Pulse as well and how a secret like this can affect things from different angles.

“This story is officially happening right now. It happened just two weeks before New Avengers started and the Avengers have only been together a couple of weeks Marvel time, hence the missing Fury and hints of such..."
Hill was meant to have just started in the lead job in her first published appearance (NewAv #3, give or take an issue). And Fury was there conducting traffic on SHIELD's behalf during Disassembled. (And the chronology you put down on the 5th of Aug also had Secret War just before the Raft breakout).

How/Why did it suddenly jump so far back?

EDIT: Thinking about this some more, this could cause problems for a few placements, like Iron Man: Hypervelocity (which needs to occur while Fury is head of SHIELD since he's referenced as such, after Disassembled since Tony's back at Stark Industries, and before Extremis).
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

Somebody wrote:Hill was meant to have just started in the lead job in her first published appearance (NewAv #3, give or take an issue). And Fury was there conducting traffic on SHIELD's behalf during Disassembled. (And the chronology you put down on the 5th of Aug also had Secret War just before the Raft breakout).
Her first published appearance was "New Avengers" #4 (June, 2005). There she is revealed as "acting Deputy Director of S.H.I.E.L.D, Super Power Division Class 8". This was followed by appearances in "New Avengers" #6-10 (June - October, 2005) and "Daredevil" vol. 2 #77 (November, 2005). Then comes "Secret War" #5 (December, 2005) where we find out about her background (birth in Chicago, successful completion of hard mission in Madripoor which brought her to the attention of her superiors) and we see , vaguely defined, superiors preparing her for S.H.I.E.L.D's directorial position which was left vacant. This is just publication order, chronological placing may be a bit harder to figure out.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Somebody wrote:
And Fury was there conducting traffic on SHIELD's behalf during Disassembled.
Yup. Fury appears during Disassembled, then appears in CA4 30-32 shortly thereafter. Unless this was one or more of those Fury LMDs. Same for Hypervelocity. :roll:

Somebody wrote:
How/Why did it suddenly jump so far back?
I don't know why Marvel insisted on pushing Secret War back so far, but I think this is going to cause some convolutions of continuity. *brickwall*
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Mentioning Cap helped me nail down exactly why Secret War cannot take place before Disassembled: Captain America v5.

Fury, as head of SHIELD, is an integral part of the first 14 issues (apart from the Nomad FB and HoM issues, of course). That cannot be an LMD since real-Fury-in-exile references being a part of the events in later issues. And the arc itself references Disassembled, so it can't be pushed earlier.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Okay, I just found Secret War #1 (while looking for something else, natch) and something leapt out at me.
Nick Fury, Director of SHIELD wrote:"Mr. President, for a couple of months, S.H.I.E.L.D. has been working on a project codenamed CIRCUIT... It started during one of our routine investigations... S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents did a follow-up on a character known as Jack O'Lantern. An idiot named Jason Macendale Jr., who was apprehended...

After an interrogation with the FBI, he was turned over to local S.H.I.E.L.D. agents for further questioning. It was during this questioning that one of our agents started crunching the numbers..." (goes into detail about how the costs/rewards didn't stack up).
This is from the main story, in the 1YA section, shortly after Lord Thor and Grell/Ryan Iron Man* apprehend Killer Shrike [The interview is at the back of the book as a text-only transcript, which Paul B calls story 2 for the calendar's purposes], and strongly indicates that the Macandale interview is recent rather than distant - the case was opened "a couple of months" before and was opened as a direct result of information gleaned from the interview.

*The .1 revision of that Iron Man armour, without the leg cabling but before the further revisions to the helmet and other areas Jorge Lucas made for the "Iron Secretary" arc, so used approx from IM3 59-72, and later in some other books.
Adamant
Minion
Minion

Post by Adamant »

Hm, I found another iffy point - Young Avengers #7 is set before New Avengers #1, yet the New Avengers appear in that book as a formed team.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

adamant wrote:
Young Avengers #7 is set before New Avengers #1, yet the New Avengers appear in that book as a formed team.
Good catch. I'll change that. Thanks!
Paul B.
Ork
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ork »

I can't believe It's been months since my last post.

Year 23
November 10
RUNAWAYS v2 #14

If the French translation is correct (I've had some surprise with that), pages 1-4 are "yesterday".
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Ork wrote:I can't believe It's been months since my last post.

Year 23
November 10
RUNAWAYS v2 #14

If the French translation is correct (I've had some surprise with that), pages 1-4 are "yesterday".
Confirmed: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... firsts.htm
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

So how do need to write up the entries for the "current" segments? Like so?

RUNAWAYS v2 #14 (1-4)
One day, "a few months" after RUN2 8. On Tarnax VII, Xavin and Karolina discuss their impending marriage.

RUNAWAYS v2 #14 (5-32)
The day after RUN2 14 (1-4). This segment occurs "eighteen months" after RUN2 14-FB (11-16) and "two weeks" before RUN2 20. Molly has been grounded since their "last battle" in RUN2 13, so she cannot make other appearances as an active member between RUN2 13 and 14 (5-32). The Runaways talk at their base.

I read the posted pages at the linked website and have notes from the original analysis regarding the flashbacks, but I don't have the actual comic.
Paul B.
Ork
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ork »

Paul Bourcier wrote:So how do need to write up the entries for the "current" segments? Like so?

RUNAWAYS v2 #14 (1-4)
One day, "a few months" after RUN2 8. On Tarnax VII, Xavin and Karolina discuss their impending marriage.
Since it is said to happen "yesterday", I would write it as a flashback.