Wolverine: Saudade

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Wolverine: Saudade

Post by Somebody »

I glanced at the US version today. It does not mention any specific time period on the last page, less still "fifteen years".
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: July call for analyses

Post by JephYork »

See, and it's stuff like THIS that makes me wonder how much of the dialogue is literally translated, and how much is just added in. Was the "fifteen years" line omitted from the original by the US translation, or added by Panini?

What language was the original published in? Anyone have a copy?

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Wolverine: Saudade

Post by Somebody »

It was originally published in France (both the original writer and artist are French). Here's how the writer described it:
http://bit.ly/1SWMHu wrote:For those who missed out on Wolverine: Saudade when it came out in France, can you provide a summary of what it's about?

JDM: It starts in the early 90s when our hero went to Brazil for a vacation. He discovers that there are also mutants over there, including a very malicious one who absorbs the powers of others. Logan wants to send the young man to Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. Will he be able to do so? Go read it when it comes out in September.

Moving on, what do you have in mind for the Spider-Man project? What kind of stories can we look forward to eventually?

JDM: It will be an emotional story with loads of action. Think of it as a story from the good old Jim Lee and Chris Claremont days...
(I leave that second answer in since Jim Lee's never done Spider-Man, and so I presume something went wrong there - either the interviewer farked up (given the site's recent history, quite plausible) - or it didn't translate and the writer went on talking about Saudade anyway).

For the record, the US edition credits both a translator (Alexandra Hain-Cole) and an adaptor (Larry Hama), which suggests that the rescripting need not necessarily be literal.

[And would anyone have a problem with me splitting this tangent out to its' own thread in MU at this point?]
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Go nuts.

Early 90s, eh? Cool, that fits with my suggestion for placement earlier in the thread.

-Jeph!
Giant Ant
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Giant Ant »

I have the original Wolverine:Saudade comic in French, and I can confirm that the "15 years ago" line is in it, on the last page.
Hope that helps.