Overhauling GSX & CX

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Overhauling GSX & CX

Post by Col_Fury »

Here's something I've been meaning to get around to for a WHILE now: Sorting out the page/panel ranges for Uncanny & Classic X-Men!

There's a lot of revelations in X-Men: Deadly Genesis and I've included the stuff that directly relates to Giant-Size X-Men #1. There are other sequences that I haven't included, like the origins for Vulcan's team of X-Men, because they take place prior to this. I plan on getting around to those eventually, I just wanted to untie this knot first. Speaking of X-Men: Deadly Genesis ,(to pull out a recent example) according to that series Moira MacTaggert knew full well who the X-Men were at the time of Giant-Size X-Men 1. In What If…? v2 9, though, she didn’t. Therefore the divergence point is earlier than the FlashBacks presented therein and any listings of WI?2 9 should be removed from all character chronologies, except for Uatu, of course.

Some character chronologies count the first splash page of GSX 1 as page 1, some don't. I've counted the splash as page one for everything below.

I've also included material for various X-Men recruitments by Xavier during this time, like Uncanny Origins 8 for Nightcrawler, X-Men Origins: Colossus 1 for Colossus,(thanks wolframbane!) etc. If anyone notices anything I've missed for this time frame please post it here.(the FlashBacks in Wolverine: First Class 5 takes place before this, so I'll tackle that in another topic) I'll make updated placement suggestions for characters from time to time from these synopses.

With that out of the way, here we go!

GSX 1 (16:1 - 17:3)-FB
-Cerebro has detected a new mutant, so Xavier sends the X-Men(Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, Havok, Polaris) to investigate. On the way Jean comments it’s too bad Beast isn’t on the team anymore, and they land on Krakoa Island.
CX 1 (2:3)-FB
-Iceman, Marvel Girl, and Havok look around.
GSX 1 (17:4-17:5)-FB
-The X-Men look around and they’re quickly ambushed.(CX 1 (2:4)-FB repeats (17:5), no new info)
GSX 1 (29:5)-FB
-A giant hand towers above the X-Men.
GSX 1 (17:6)-FB
-Energy hits the X-Men.
CX 1 (2:5)-FB
-Cyclops is enveloped in energy.
X: DG 4 (4:2-6:1)-FB-FB
-The X-Men try to fight Krakoa, but it thoroughly trashes them.
X: DG 1 (21:3-21:4)-FB
-Jean calls for help to Cyclops from Krakoa’s cave.
X: DG 6 (4:2)-FB-FB
-Cyclops tries to free Jean, she tells him to run.
X: DG 4 (1-2)-FB
-Xavier stops by Moira’s place, about two hours north of Xavier’s school. He explains that the X-Men are missing and his mental link with Jean was cut off. He asks for her help to save them.
X: DG 4 (4:1)-FB
-Xavier shows his memories of what happened to Moira.
X: DG 4 (6:2-6:6)-FB
-Moira asks if he’s sure they’re not dead, he says Cerebro still registers them. He then asks if he can use her students.
X: DG 4 (13:2-19:3)-FB
-Xavier meets with Moira’s students; Darwin, Sway, Petra, & Vulcan, and asks them to help rescue his X-Men. They agree and he trains them psychically for a few hours, but it feels like months to them, and the next day they take off in the strato-jet for Krakoa. Xavier doesn’t tell them it’s only been a few hours and not months.
X: DG 6 (3-6)-FB
-The new team land on Krakoa, find Cyclops in a cave and free him.
GSX 1 (29:6)-FB
-Cyclops stumbles out of the cave.
X: DG 6 (7-8)-FB
-They get Cyclops to ‘safety’ and fill him in. Cyclops thinks it’s only been a few days when told they’d been training for months. Vulcan then tells Cyclops that they’re brothers.
X: DG 6 (13:2-14:4)-FB
-Cyclops takes the strato-jet up to try to establish a link with Xavier as the new team tries to rescue the other X-Men. Krakoa kills Sway and pours lava over the other three.
X: DG 6 (18:2-18:5)-FB
-As Sway dies she slows time so Petra can open the earth to swallow them. Petra dies along with Sway, but Darwin and Vulcan are encased in the ground. Vulcan’s and Darwin’s powers help to protect them.
CX 1 (2:6)-FB
-Cyclops wakes up aboard the strato-jet, it’s already heading for home.
GSX 1 (18:1-18:8)-FB
-Cyclops realizes he’s alone, but can’t control the jet, the controls are locked. He’s also powerless, his force beams aren’t shooting out of his face. When he arrives at the mansion, he bursts through the door.(CX 1 (1) repeats (18:8), no new information)
CX 1 (2:1)
-Xavier asks to read Cyclops’ memories.
X: DG 6 (13:1)-FB
-Cyclops starts to tell him about the new team, Xavier interrupts and tells him it’s okay.
CX 1 (2:2)
-Xavier reads Cyclops’ memories.
GSX 1 (18:9)-FB
-Xavier asks if he saw the others, but Cyclops can’t remember anything.
X: DG 1 (15:1-15:2)-FB
-Cyclops starts to freak out, Xavier tries to calm him down.
GSX 1 (19:1-19:4)-FB
-Cyclops’ powers return, more powerful than before.(CX 1 (3:1-3:3) repeats this, no new information)
CX 1 (3:4)
-Xavier ties Cyclops’ face shut with a rag so he doesn’t wreck more stuff.
X: DG 6 (15:3-16:6)-FB
-Xavier removes any memories of the new team from Cyclops’ brain and uses Cerebro to double check that the new team is in fact dead. He then tells Moira that her students are dead, and that Cyclops doesn’t need to remember any of it. Moira is shocked.
X: DG 1 (23:2-23:3)-FB
-Having just returned to Muir Isle, Moira is upset.
X: DG 1 (27:2)-FB
-Moira MacTaggert makes a recording.
X: DG 3 (22:5-22:6)-FB
X: DG 4 (3:1)-FB
X: DG 4 (9:1)-FB
X: DG 4 (13:1)-FB
X: DG 4 (19:4-20:1)-FB
CX 1 (3:5 - 4:5)
-Xavier finishes using Cerebro to find new mutants, then checks in on Cyclops.

NC3 11 (5:2-6:3)-FB
-Jemaine calls Kurt and tells him Stefan has gone crazy. Not quite believing her, he makes his way back home.
UO 8 (15:1-15:3)
-Kurt has found Stefan and approaches him with a smile, but is shocked to see he’s surrounded by dead children.
NC3 11 (6:4-9:4)-FB
-Stefan seems dazed and Kurt tries to talk him down. One of the children tries to crawl away and Stefan becomes upset. Kurt tries to stop him from attacking.
UO 8 (15:4)
-Stefan yells at Kurt.
M/CP 103 (1-2:2)-FB
- Kurt and Stefan fight.
UO 8 (15:5)
-Kurt and Stefan fight.
UX@ 4 (32:6-33:1)-FB
-Kurt and Stefan struggle.
UO 8 (16:1-16:4)
-Kurt and Stefan fight.
M/CP 103 (2:3-3:2)-FB
- Stefan breaks his own neck with Kurt’s tail.
NC3 11 (9:5)-FB
-Stefan’s neck snaps.
UO 8 (16:5)
-Stefan’s dead.
NC3 11 (10:1)-FB
-Kurt checks the children.
UX@ 4 (33:2)-FB
-Kurt is upset that Stefan is dead.
UO 8 (17)
-Kurt tends to Stefan and a villager happens by. Kurt is blamed for the dead children and Kurt runs off.
X: DG 1 (7:2)-FB
-Nightcrawler runs through the street, an angry mob is behind him.
GSX 1 (1-3:3)
-Nightcrawler is being chased through Winzeldorf by an angry mob. He jumps from a roof...
XCAL 107 (11:2)-FB
-...and teleports...
GSX 1 (3:4-4:1)
-and lands in the mob. He tries to fight but the mob overpowers him. Xavier arrives and stops the crowd telepathically.
XCAL 107 (11:4)-FB
-The crowd steps aside for Xavier as Nightcrawler watches.
GSX 1 (4:2-4:7)
-Xavier offers to help Nightcrawler, who accepts.
X: DG 1 (7:3)-FB
-Xavier makes the crowd disperse.
UO 8 (22-23)
-The next day, Nightcrawler and Xavier fly to America.

W: O 28 (20)-FB
-Wolverine is called in to a meeting.
GSX 1 (5:1-5:3)
-Wolverine shows up for the meeting and asks who is here to see him.
W: O 28 (21:1-21:4)-FB
-Wolverine knocks and asks again, and Xavier answers him.
GSX 1 (5:4-5:6)
-Xavier explains himself.
W: O 28 (21:5-22)-FB
-Xavier makes Wolverine an offer.
GSX 1 (6:1-6:8)
-Wolverine accepts.
AF 17 (1-3)-FB
-Hudson shows off his new suit to his wife Heather, but they're interrupted by a phone call. Wolverine has just defected!

AF 52 (4:2-4:5)-FB
-Wolverine explains himself to Hudson.

GSX 1 (7:1-7:2)
-Xavier finds Banshee at the Grand Ol’ Opry in Nashville.

GSX 1 (7:2-9:3)
-In Kenya, Xavier asks Storm to join his X-Men.
UO 9 (19-22:2)
-The next day she gives him her answer, and they fly to America.

GSX 1 (9:4-9:5)
-Xavier finds Sunfire in Osaka and asks for his help.

XO: C 1 (25:1-25:4)
-Nikolai and Piotr work in the fields as Illyana plays nearby. As Nikolai tries to get his son to open up about what has happened, he notices a runaway tractor racing towards Illyana.
GSX 1 (9:6-10:4)
-Colossus sees that his sister is about to be run over by a tractor, so he armors up.
XO: C 1 (25:5)
-He yells her name.
XCAL 107 (8:2)-FB
-He tells her to look out as he runs toward her.
GSX 1 (10:5 - 10:7)
-He grabs her.
XO: C 1 (26)
-The tractor hits Colossus.
XCAL 107 (8:3)-FB
-He smashes the tractor.
GSX 1 (11:1)
-The tractor explodes.
XO: C 1 (27:1-27:2)
-Illyana is hugged and held by her kneeling brother next to the wrecked tractor.
GSX 1 (11:2)
-He looks at the wreckage as he holds his sister.
XCAL 107 (8:4)-FB
-He hugs his sister.
GSX 1 (11:3)
-Colossus is startled when he hears a voice in his head.
XO: C 1 (27:3-28:5)
-Piotr sees Vahzin and Prof X before him, and they discuss Piotr leaving with the professor.
GSX 1 (11:4-11:6)
-Xavier makes him an offer. They talk it over with his family.
XO: C 1 (29)
-That night it’s discussed some more.
GSX 1 (12:1)
-Xavier and Colossus say goodbye to his family.
XCAL 107 (8:5)-FB
-Xavier and Colossus wave goodbye.

GSX 1 (12:2 - 13:8)
-At Camp Verde, Thunderbird wrestles a Bison. Xavier arrives and asks for his help, but he refuses. Xavier calls him chicken, so Thunderbird agrees to help, if only to prove otherwise.

X: OS 1 (3:1-3:3)-FB
-Xavier and Wolverine chat in Xavier's office “the day Wolverine stepped foot in Xavier's mansion.”
X: OS 1 (24:2)-FB
-Wolverine tries to kill Professor X!
X 217 (1)-FB
Wolverine cuts Professor X!
X 217 (4-5)-FB
Professor X is bandaged from the attack, Wolverine is chained. Moira and the Professor discuss Wolverine’s damaged mind, the Professor thinks someone programmed Wolverine to kill him. He then decides to reprogram Wolverine…
W: O 29 (15:1-16:4)-FB
Wolverine has calmed down, he and Xavier talk about why he’s here. Xavier explains that Wolverine has been programmed, and even though he knew that Wolverine would try to kill him he let him in his house anyway, because Xavier needed a weapon like Wolverine on his side.
W: O 29 (21:2-22)-FB
Xavier offers to remove all of Wolverine’s programming. Wolverine has trepidations, he might not remember who he is. Xavier says don’t worry about it.
X 218 (1)-FB
Xavier consoles the newly amnesiac Wolverine.

GSX 3
-Wolverine has locked himself in the Danger Room with Kurt, Shiro, Peter, Ororo, & John to teach them a lesson in teamwork.( Wolverine says “It’s your first day as X-Men people…”) Peter & Ororo are excited to be here, speaking English.( Peter says: “An hour ago I spoke not a word of English. Now I understand every word!”) Shiro becomes embarrassed when he realizes that only he & Kurt are wearing costumes, everyone else is in casual wear. Peter seems excited at the prospect of getting a uniform. Wolverine compares this new team of X-Men to the Avengers & FF, and points out that these X-Men aren’t a team yet. Nightcrawler observes that Banshee is absent, Wolverine rebuts with Sean & Xavier are friends, and that Sean isn’t involved in this lesson. He unsheathes his claws and starts a fight. Peter armors up and tries to protect Ororo, who doesn’t appreciate it. Shiro shoots flame at Wolverine. Peter blocks Wolverine from Shiro’s attack while Ororo conjures the elements, and then starts to suffer from claustrophobia. Wolverine retracts his claws so as to not attract lightning, John attacks him from behind. Confused, Kurt teleports to subdue Ororo. Wolverine knocks John into Peter, and then Sean arrives stopping everyone with his sonic scream. He says that Xavier ‘heard’ then from across town and sent him over. Wolverine reveals that this was his idea, and not Professor X’s like Kurt & John had thought. He did it to discover everyone’s strengths and weaknesses. On his way out he asks if anyone wants some beer.
XO: C 1 (30)
-Xavier gives Colossus his uniform and he is welcomed to the X-Men. Wolverine, Storm, Thunderbird, Nightcrawler, Banshee, & Sunfire are seen.
X: L 2-FB
-Xavier tells Colossus that he knows he’ll make a fine addition to the school as Banshee, Cyclops, Storm, Sunfire, Wolverine, & Nightcrawler watch. Wolverine then gives Colossus a hard time.
X: OS 1 (1:2-2)-FB
-The X-Men are laughing and pose on the stair case.
GSX 1 (14 - 15:2)
-Still on the staircase, Xavier brags that he’s buddies with Reed Richards. Sunfire demands to know why he’s here.
CX 1 (17:1)
-Thunderbird wants to know, too.
GSX 1 (15:3 - 15:4)
-Xavier introduces Cyclops, who says they’re here to rescue the X-Men.
CX 1 (17:2)
-Cyclops points to pictures of the X-Men.
GSX 1 (15:5-22:1)
-Cyclops shows them Cerebro and tells them his story of going to Krakoa with the X-Men and coming back alone. Sunfire couldn’t care less, and is pissed that he was even bothered for this. Cyclops brushes him off and they prepare to leave. They quickly arrive at Krakoa Island and split into teams, Colossus jumps out in mid air, Storm flies out and catches him.
CX 1 (17:3)
-Storm flies and carries Colossus.
GSX 1 (22:2-27:5)
-The rest of the team land and quickly find Angel, Polaris, Havok, Iceman, & Marvel Girl.
CX 1 (17:4)
Angel, Polaris, Havok, Iceman, & Marvel Girl hang suspended by Krakoa.
GSX 1 (28-30)
-The X-Men are freed, but Angel yells at Cyclops: the Island itself is the mutant! Krakoa awakes and the combined X-Men fight it. Xavier joins in telepathically.
X: DG 6 (17:4)-FB
-Krakoa roars.
CX 1 (18:1)
-Everyone fights.
GSX 1 (31-34:2)
-The X-Men defeat Krakoa, and Polaris separates the island from the bedrock magnetically.
CX 1 (18:2)
-The X-Men watch the island disappear into the sky from an ice-boat Bobby made.
X: DG 6 (18:6)-FB
-The island, with Vulcan and Darwin still on it, shoots into space.
GSX 1 (34:3-35:7)
-The X-Men get into the strato-jet and fly home.(CX 1 (18:3) repeats (35:6-35:7, no new information)
CX 1 (19 - 32)
-That night, everyone relaxes and gets to know each other.

X: L 2-FB is currently listed in the Project as happening right before the new X-Men fly off to Krakoa, even though Cyclops is in a big rush. I agree with Paul B. that this should take place directly before the 'staircase posing scene', so I've moved it.

According to Jean in CX 1 (19-32), GSX 1 (16:1 - 17:3)-FB to CX 1 (19-32) spans a week.

Up next: Uncanny 94 & Classic 2, and more!
-Daron Jensen
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Overhauling GSX & CX

Post by Jason Doty »

Awsome breakdown, but I'm curious, did'nt the Nightcrawler ongoing establish that Nightcrawler was running from the mob after just killing his step brother for murdering people in the village also making those flashbacks included in this juncture of time.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I flipped through more of Uncanny Origins 8, and you're right! I'll pull out the relevant issues and edit them into the above when I get the chance.

Thanks Jason!
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I feel like I did a buttload of work on this very same topic about 4 years ago. Did anything ever come of that?

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

jephyork wrote:I feel like I did a buttload of work on this very same topic about 4 years ago. Did anything ever come of that?
Archive 52, thread 51 would be what you mean (Jason Doty also takes a crack at interweaving GSX, UX and CX more generally in thread 33 of the same archive).

There's certainly a greater degree of intermingling GSX 1 and CX 1 in the current listings than you say was the case when you did that, but I don't have the time right now to do a side-by-side comparison.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

You have those archives memorized, don't you.

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

jephyork wrote:You have those archives memorized, don't you.
LOL.

Nope. I just have them searchable :-P
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Here are some additional information that I got from the OMITTX 4. Note the Index also mentions these events occur in "May of Peter Parker's third-last year in college" (YEAR 8 on Paul Bourcier's Marvel Calender). Among the new info is M/TU 23 and DEF 15-16.

M/TU 23
-Iceman and the Human Torch team up against Equinox. Then Iceman, Cyclops, Marvel Girl and the Angel depart on a "secret mission."

GSX 1 (16-19:4)-FB
-That most secret mission noted in M/TU 23 is the journey to Krakoa in the South Pacific. The latter portions of this flashback overlap with the beginning of the story in CX 1.

DEF 15 and 16
-While the mutants are away, Magneto and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (Mastermind, Blob, Unus the Untouchable, Lorelei) attack Professor X. The Defenders aid the professor, and the evil mutants' ultimate fate is to be regressed to infancy by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant.

CX 1 (1-4)
-Cyclops returns from Krakoa and begins training himself in the use of his strengthened eye-beam.

GSX 1
-Professor X locates and inducts eight new mutants into the X-Men for the rescue mission to Krakoa.

CX 1 (19-32)
-The evening after the successful conclusion of the Krakoa mission.

UX 94 (1-6)
-The morning after that, when Alex Summers, Lorna Dane, Bobby Drake, Jean Grey and Warren Worthington leave the X-Men.

UX 94 (7) and CX 2 (7-8)
-The new X-Men's training period, astonishingly enough, last not just for weeks but for fifteen months, including the winter seen in ASM 143 and 144, M/TIO 8, M/TU 32 and GSDEF 4.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Some placement suggestions for the supporting characters:

CHASIN, MAJOR
AF 117-FB
W2 144-FB
*W: FC 5-FB
{GSX 1 (5:1-5:3)}
*W: O 28 (21:1-21:4)-FB
GSX 1 (5:4-5:6)
*W: O 28 (21:5-22)-FB
GSX 1 (6:1-6:8)
AF 17-FB
AF 92-FB

KRAKOA
GSX 1 (29:2 - 29:4)-FB
GSX 1 (16:1 - 17:3)-FB
CX 1 (2:3)-FB
GSX 1 (17:4-17:5)-FB
GSX 1 (29:5)-FB
GSX 1 (17:6)-FB
CX 1 (2:5)-FB
*X: DG 4 (4:2-6:1)-FB-FB
*X: DG 6 (3-6)-FB

GSX 1 (29:6)-FB
*X: DG 6 (7-8)-FB
*X: DG 6 (13:2-14:4)-FB
*X: DG 6 (18:2-18:5)-FB

{GSX 1 (1-22:1)}
CX 1 (17:3)
GSX 1 (22:2-27:5)
CX 1 (17:4)
GSX 1 (28:1)
X: WA-FB
GSX 1 (28:2-30:5)
*X: DG 6 (17:4)-FB
CX 1 (18:1)
GSX 1 (31-35)
CX 1 (18:2)
*X: DG 6 (18:6)-FB
Q 14-BTS
Q 15

MACTAGGERT, MOIRA KINROSS

X:HY 10
*X: DG 1/2-BTS
*X: DG 2/2-BTS
*X: DG 3/2
*X: DG 4/2 (5:4-5:5)-FB
*X: DG 4 (9:2-12:6)-FB
*X: DG 4/2 (6-8)-FB
*X: DG 4/2
*X: DG 5/2

X 2 (16:1)-FB
X 2 (17:4)-FB
XU 2-FB
*X: DG 4 (1-2)-FB
*X: DG 4 (4:1)-FB
*X: DG 4 (6:2-6:6)-FB
*X: DG 4 (13:2-19:3)-FB
*X: DG 6 (15:3-16:6)-FB
*X: DG 1 (23:2-23:3)-FB
*X: DG 1 (27:2)-FB
*X: DG 3 (22:5-22:6)-FB
*X: DG 4 (3:1)-FB
*X: DG 4 (9:1)-FB
*X: DG 4 (13:1)-FB
*X: DG 4 (19:4-20:1)-FB
*X 217-FB

UX 94-BTS
CX 2
{UX 96}

MAGIK/ILLYANA RASPUTINA
*XO: C 1 (1-25:4)
{GSX 1 (1-10:4)}
*XO: C 1 (25:5)
XCAL 107 (8:2)-FB
GSX 1 (10:5 - 10:7)
*XO: C 1 (26)
XCAL 107 (8:3)-FB
GSX 1 (11:1)
*XO: C 1 (27:1-27:2)
GSX 1 (11:2)
XCAL 107 (8:4)-FB
GSX 1 (11:3)
*XO: C 1 (27:3-28:5)
GSX 1 (11:4-12:1)
*XO: C 1 (29-30)
GSX 1 (12-35)
XCAL 107 (8:5)-FB
CX 29/2

MR. FANTASTIC/REED RICHARDS

FF 149
*X: DG 4-FB-BTS
GSX 1-BTS
GSFF 2

RASPUTIN, NIKOLAI
*XO: C 1 (1-28)
{GSX 1 (1-11)}
GSX 1 (12-35)
XCAL 107-FB
CX 29/2

RASPUTINA, ALEXANDRA
*XO: C 1 (1-28)
{GSX 1 (1-11)}
GSX 1 (12-35)
XCAL 107-FB
CX 29/2
jephyork wrote:I feel like I did a buttload of work on this very same topic about 4 years ago.
Indeed. But Deadly Genesis wasn't around then. :wink:
wolframbane wrote:DEF 15 and 16
-While the mutants are away, Magneto and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (Mastermind, Blob, Unus the Untouchable, Lorelei) attack Professor X. The Defenders aid the professor, and the evil mutants' ultimate fate is to be regressed to infancy by Alpha the Ultimate Mutant.
Interesting. Given the events of X-Men: Deadly Genesis though, and the FlashBacks in X 2 & XU 2, I don't see how this can occur simultaneously... I've opted to go with the Defenders issues occuring well before GSX 1 & it's Flashbacks, if only to free up Moira.(In X 2-FB, Moira recieves the infant Magneto. In UX 104 it's revelaed Magneto was kept in a cell ever since. So I'm thinking we have Moira in X: HY 10, then the Deadly Genesis backups, then DEF 15-16 & X 2-FB, then GSX 1)
-Daron Jensen
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

There may possibly be some additional information and/or flashbacks regarding Krakoa in Quasar #15-16 (which reveals Krakoa was captured by the Stranger after being launched into space) and Excalibur #31 (which reveals Krakoa launched spores while while being launched into space, one which became Vega Superior and battled Nightcrawler).
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Col_Fury wrote:
wolframbane wrote:DEF 15 and 16
Interesting. Given the events of X-Men: Deadly Genesis though, and the FlashBacks in X 2 & XU 2, I don't see how this can occur
simultaneously... I've opted to go with the Defenders issues occuring well before GSX 1 & it's Flashbacks, if only to free up Moira.(In X 2-FB, Moira recieves the infant Magneto. In UX 104 it's revelaed Magneto was kept in a cell ever since. So I'm thinking we have Moira in X: HY 10, then the Deadly Genesis backups, then DEF 15-16 & X 2-FB, then GSX 1)
I always figured that Prof X and the Defenders battled the Brotherhood while the original X-Men were gone on the Krakoa mission (for one or two days), and as the infant Brotherhood were later shown in Moira's custody, Xavier had turned them over to her shortly before Cyclops returned and he left the recruit Vulcan's team of X-Men. As his initial recruitment drive was limited to the United States (as opposed to his later international search when gathering Storm's team), the young Magneto and Brotherhood could have been given to Moira and her staff locally at her American lab.
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Note that, according to X 217, Moira was around while Xavier was "recruiting" Wolverine...
dimadick
Major Player
Major Player

Post by dimadick »

Col_Fury wrote:Interesting. Given the events of X-Men: Deadly Genesis though, and the FlashBacks in X 2 & XU 2, I don't see how this can occur simultaneously... I've opted to go with the Defenders issues occuring well before GSX 1 & it's Flashbacks, if only to free up Moira.(In X 2-FB, Moira recieves the infant Magneto. In UX 104 it's revelaed Magneto was kept in a cell ever since. So I'm thinking we have Moira in X: HY 10, then the Deadly Genesis backups, then DEF 15-16 & X 2-FB, then GSX 1)
Well the fate of theother X-Men in "Defenders" vol. 1 #15 (September, 1974) is not that clear. Per an online summary of it , Professor X contacts the Defenders telepathically. "After asking for forgiveness at his intrusion, Professor X explains that those he normally uses for such urgent matters are away on a secret mission from which he cannot summon them back. He explains that he is in need of the Defenders to stand at his side in their stead to face a menace so awesome that it threatens the world! Dr. Strange replies on behalf of the Defenders and indicates that they would be honored to aid the head of the X-Men. Professor X thanks the team and asks them to join him immediately in New Mexico at the Carlsbad Caverns." ... "The others that Professor X is talking about are of course the X-Men. A footnote mentions that they have been sent on a secret mission in Marvel Team-Up #23. " Could be the Krakoa mission or an some unrecorded adventure.
Jason Doty
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Jason Doty »

I'm for leaving the Defender's stories before the Krakoa mission leaving some breathing room in an already cramped juncture of time. I can site evidence that will not be considered for the MCP, the "Welcome to the X-Men, Madrox" short story from one of the X-Men anthologies, that moves both GSFF no.4 and the Defenders issue to prior to GSX 1. Now I know, that the novels will not be considered canon, but since some of the stories are referenced in official handbook entries, wasn't the suggestion that simillar events occured, but we just did'nt see them on panel. Kinda making that argument a good reason for placement suggestion? Just food for thought.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I could have made this clear earlier, so sorry about that, but the biggest point for me was in X: DG 4-FB when Xavier explains to Moira that he was in mental contact with Jean during their flight to Krakoa, and when that link was broken he immediately came over to Moira's in New York. Given X: DG 4-FB, there's just no space for DEF 15-16, X 2-FB, & XU 2-FB, let alone for Moira to leave New York State, go to Muir Isle, then come back to New York State... or for Xavier to lose his mental link with Jean, travel to New Mexico, then come back to go to Moria's, after she's returned from Muir Isle after setting the infant Magneto up there. Ultimately, DEF 15-16 HAVE to take place well before GSX 1 thanks to X: DG 4-FB. At the very least, this will have to be corrected in Xavier's chronology.
dimadick wrote:A footnote mentions that they have been sent on a secret mission in Marvel Team-Up #23. " Could be the Krakoa mission or an some unrecorded adventure.
Thanks for that. So the footnote in DEF ties that issue to M/TU 23,(which makes sense, DEF 15 & M/TU 23 were published within a month of each other) but we'll have to separate those from GSX 1 and call it an unrecorded adventure.

In other words, thanks to the new information in X: DG 4-FB we'll have to disregard the Index in this case.
-Daron Jensen