Coming from Marvel in February

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Coming from Marvel in February

Post by JD »

Full solicitations at Newsarama, as usual : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/081117- ... tions.html
If you prefer Comic Book Resources, here you go : http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=18859
Or you could go directly to the Marvel website : http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2009-02

Slightly snarky highlights for this month :

NEW SERIES

- BLACK PANTHER #1, by Hudlin & Lashley, now with a female protagonist. And a Dark Reign tie-in, of course.

- SECRET WARRIORS #1, by Bendis, Hickman & Caselli. Also a Dark Reign tie-in.

- AGENTS OF ATLAS #1, by Parker, Pagulayan & Jew. Ditto.

- ASTONISHING TALES #1, a new anthology title. Is this the "indy" companion to MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS that was announces way back when ?

- MARVEL: YOUR UNIVERSE #1 is a curious reprint book, with the first issues of MS. MARVEL, NOVA, IMMORTAL IRON FIST and X-MEN: LEGACY, as well as GHOST RIDER #14.

NEW MINISERIES

- WAR OF KINGS: DARKHAWK #1 (of 2), by Cebulski & Tolibao. Helpfully it will explain how Darkhawk when from the Losers to security overseer at that research facility...

- X-MEN: THE TIMES AND LIFE OF LUCAS BISHOP #1 (OF 3), by unpronounceable-Cable-writer-guy and Stroman, focuses on Bishop's POV on his recent actions. Wait, haven't they been doing this in Cable already ?

- X-MEN: FIRST CLASS FINALS #1 (of 4), by Parker, Cruz & Coover. You know the deal.

- MODELS, INC. #1 (of 4), by Tobin & Villagrassa, stars Millie the Model, Patsy Walker, MJ Watson...

- ULTIMATE WOLVERINE VS. HULK #1 & #2 (of 6) : reprints of the already published issues, since they're apparently seriously publishing the remainder soon. Has hell frozen over ?

ONESHOTS

- MARVEL TV: GALACTUS - THE REAL STORY, by Tieri & Santacruz. Isn't this an online comic ?

- FRANKLIN RICHARDS: IT'S DARK REIGNING CATS & DOGS... The pun is a bit... far-fetched.

- DARK REIGN FILES, presumably by the Handbook office.

- YOUNG GUNS '09 SKETCHBOOK. They're still going on with this program ?

- No random Wolverine oneshot, but there's X-MEN ORIGINS: SABRETOOTH (Gillen & Panosian) for good measure.

NOTABLE ISSUES

- Dark Reign continues its embargo on solicitations, with the following titles : NEW AVENGERS #50, DARK AVENGERS #2, MIGHTY AVENGERS #22, AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #22, SECRET WARRIORS #1, AGENTS OF ATLAS #1, BLACK PANTHER #1, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #10, MS. MARVEL #36, WAR MACHINE #3, PUNISHER #2, THUNDERBOLTS #129, WOLVERINE: ORIGINS #33 and DEADPOOL #7.

- Meanwhile, War of Kings is still being trailed in WOK: DARKHAWK #1, WOK: KINGBREAKER #3 and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #10. There's also an issue of Marvel Spotlight.

- Cancelled comics cavalcade : this months sees the last issues of NEW EXILES, SHE-HULK, ULTIMATE X-MEN and ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR.

- FANTASTIC FOUR #564 has a Christmas story. In February. Merry Delays !

- Skottie Young writes this month's YOUNG X-MEN #11. Is this a permanent change ? Meanwhile, Matt Fraction seems to have taken over UNCANNY X-MEN.

- A correction : DR. DOOM AND THE MASTERS OF EVIL is a 4-issue mini, not an ongoing series. It's also a rare $2.99 mini.

GONE MISSING THIS MONTH :
- THOR (having a rest after #600 ?)
- ASTONISHING X-MEN
- WOLVERINE
- AVENGERS/INVADERS (two thirds of the way)
- THE TWELVE (for the second month running. Uh-oh...)
- ULTIMATUM (#3 has been pushed back to February)
- all ICON comics

Vaporware :
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE
- newuniversal: stormfront
- IRON MAN: VIVA LAS VEGAS (#3 has been cancelled, so I won't bother anymore)

PRICE WATCH
A new feature ! Follow Marvel's price hikes in real time ! (for MU regular titles only)

104 pages for $4.99 : AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY #4
48 pages for $4.99 : NEW AVENGERS #50
48 pages for $3.99 : SECRET WARRIORS #1, AGENTS OF ATLAS #1, INCREDIBLE HERCULES #126, SHE-HULK #38
40 pages for $3.99 : BLACK PANTHER #1, ASTONISHING TALES #1
32 pages for $3.99 : DARK AVENGERS #2, HULK #10, ULTIMATE X-MEN #100, ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #60

NOTABLE COLLECTIONS

- Marvel Masterworks : Golden Age Marvel Comics v4 (here's to you Col. F !), Hulk v5, and a new version of FF v1
- Essentials : Classic X-Men v3 (the Thomas/Adams run ! also including Beast's Amazing Adventures !), plus a new version of Avengers v1
- Invaders Classic v3

- WOLVERINE OMNIBUS v1 collects assorted 80s minis and appearances, as well as the beginning of his first ongoing.

- X-MEN INFERNO HC. Shouldn't have they reprinted this two months before, when X-Infernus starts ?

- CLOAK & DAGGER: CHILD OF DARKNESS, CHILD OF LIGHT PREMIERE HC reprints their first mini (I assume). Are they having another go at a mini for them soon ?

- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: EARTH SHALL OVERCOME PREMIERE HC collects the first appearances of the original group. Er, why ?

- MINI MARVELS: SECRET INVASION DIGEST !!!!

- AVENGERS: KNIGHTS OF WUNDAGORE TPB : that's the first time the Scarlet Witch goes insane, right ?

So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coming from Marvel in February

Post by Col_Fury »

Oh wait, what was I going to say about this one?
JD wrote:- SECRET WARRIORS #1!!!, by Bendis, Hickman & Caselli. Also a Dark Reign tie-in.
And what was it about this one I had on my mind?
JD wrote:- AGENTS OF ATLAS #1!, by Parker, Pagulayan & Jew. Ditto.
hrmnn... Oh yeah!

BUY THESE BOOKS! Call up your retailer and tell them to put these on your pull list today!

...please? They're 48 pages each. That's value for your money! Also, my birthday's in February.(the month these books come out!) So if you want to say Happy Birthday to me, buy both of these first issues and we'll talk about how AWESOME they are in the Chat Forum. :)
JD wrote:- Marvel Masterworks : Golden Age Marvel Comics v4 (here's to you Col. F !)
Aw, shucks!
JD wrote:- Essentials : Classic X-Men v3 (the Thomas/Adams run ! also including Beast's Amazing Adventures !)
I'm excited about this one. :yepp:
JD wrote:- MINI MARVELS: SECRET INVASION DIGEST !!!!
That's right! Lots of exclamation points for Mini Marvels! :D
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

MODELS, INC. #1 (of 4)
Anyone remember the TV show by this name? The Melrose Place spin-off? I guess after 13 1/2 years, the license on the name expired...

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

JD wrote:- AGENTS OF ATLAS #1, by Parker, Pagulayan & Jew. Ditto.

- X-MEN: FIRST CLASS FINALS #1 (of 4), by Parker, Cruz & Coover. You know the deal.

- FRANKLIN RICHARDS: IT'S DARK REIGNING CATS & DOGS... The pun is a bit... far-fetched.
WANT
JD wrote:- MINI MARVELS: SECRET INVASION DIGEST !!!!
ImageImage

JD wrote:- AVENGERS: KNIGHTS OF WUNDAGORE TPB : that's the first time the Scarlet Witch goes insane, right?
Sort of - she gets possessed/taken over/mind-controlled by Cthton.
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

jephyork wrote:
MODELS, INC. #1 (of 4)
Anyone remember the TV show by this name? The Melrose Place spin-off? I guess after 13 1/2 years, the license on the name expired...

-Jeph!
Don't remind me. *brickwall*
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

JD wrote:Vaporware :
- IRON MAN: VIVA LAS VEGAS (#3 has been cancelled, so I won't bother anymore)
While issue #3 has been cancelled, it supposedly "will be resolicited at a later date." So, not fully vaporized yet.

Don Campbell