Wolverine and Black Widow in UX 268-FB and W:O 9-FB

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Wolverine and Black Widow in UX 268-FB and W:O 9-FB

Post by wolframbane »

In both Mighty Avengers: Most Wanted Files and the revised OHOTMU A To Z Volume 1 hardcover, they have a very complete history of the Black Widow (Natasha Romanova).

In MA:MWF, Black Widow was "born circa 1939," was orphaned in 1941 "during an early Nazi attack on Stalingrad" and rescued by Ivan Petrovitch Bezukhov (DD 88-FB), surfaced "months later" in Madripoor where they were rescued from Strucker and the Hand by Captain America and Logan (UX 268-FB), and then "circa 1956 or later" she was into the custody of Taras Romanov, who trained Logan "for two years" until Logan killed him (W:O 9-FB), before eventually being recruited in the Black Widow Program "while still at least appearing to be in her teens" (BW:TTTSAH 5).

However in the revised version in OHOTMU A To Z Volume 1, Black Widow was "born circa 1928" (several years earlier than 1939), was orphaned as a child "during an early attack on Stalingrad by enemy forces" (no mention of they were Nazis or not) and rescued by Ivan Petrovitch Bezukhov (DD 88-FB), they were separated "by the late 1930s" when she came into the custody of Tara Romanov, who trained Logan "for nearly two years" until Logan killed him (W:O 9-FB), and then in "August, 1941" she and Ivan were together in Madripoor where they were rescued from Strucker and the Hand by Captain America and Logan (UX 268-FB), and sometime "following the war... while still appearing to be in her teens," she was recruited in the Black Widow Program (BW:TTTSAH 5).

Which interpretation would seem to be the more appropriate one?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Wolverine and Black Widow in UX 268-FB and W:O 9-FB

Post by JephYork »

The second one. Wolverine: Origins #16 showed that UX #268 occured after Logan training Natasha.

-Jeph!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

jephyork wrote:Wolverine: Origins #16 showed that UX #268 occured after Logan training Natasha.
It did, causing some strange Winter Soldier problems in the process. Check out my analysis of Wolverine: Origins 16 for the gory details.

I'm happy to see that he folks over at the HandBooks had come to the same conclusions I had, and had to make the same changes I did. Good times! :)
-Daron Jensen
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

With any luck, in a few months when the revised Wolverine listing comes out for the hardcover volume of OHOTMUA-Z (probably #11 or 12), it will fully incorporate all the new revelations of the W:O and other series.