Moon Knight: Silent Knight 1

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moon Knight: Silent Knight 1

Post by Col_Fury »

Moon Knight: Silent Knight #1
January, 2009

Appearances:
Moon Knight(Marc Spector), Marlene Alraune

Synopsis:
Pg1-pg32
Santa Claus is killed in front of a bunch of kids by two goons, Moon Knight beats the tar out of them once they get outside. Meanwhile, Marlene fixes dinner for herself and Marc. While she thinks of how things could be for them, Moon Knight chats it up with his hallucinations. He eventually shows up late for dinner and they decide to skip it and have sex.

References:
It’s Christmas Eve, it’s snowing like crazy in New York, AND there’s a full moon.

Given the status of the characters, this would take place after the current arc in Moon Knight. Going by Calendar references, the current arc has to take place before Secret Invasion thanks to the Thunderbolts, and going off Amazing Spider-Man, Secret Invasion takes place before the election.(unless that subplot is dropped, but I doubt it) Since the election is in November, and Christmas is in December…
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Moon Knight: Silent Knight 1

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thanks for the analysis, Fury. What exactly are the references to the Thunderbolts and the election?
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Well, there's no reference to them in Moon Knight: Silent Knight, but rather the ongoing books. And by 'Calendar References' I meant November vs December. Sorry about any confusion by the way, I tried to knock this one out quick and my brain wasn't ready for that, I guess... darn retail season! :) I happen to have a few minutes of open brain space at the moment, so I'll elaborate:

Currently in Moon Knight, Marlene is upset with Marc because she caught him wearing her dead father's cut-off face.(back in issue 14 or 15) She seems to be warming back up to him in recent issues, so there may be a reconciliation between them by issue 25. This would open up a spot for them to make whoopie after the current Moon Knight arc.

The current Moon Knight arc is guest starring the Thunderbolts and Iron Man. Given the ending to Secret Invasion in regards to Iron Man and the Thunderbolts, I'm thinking this arc has to take place before Secret Invasion begins.

If Secret Invasion takes place during or shortly before Amazing Spider-Man's New Ways to Die arc, then it occurs before election time. Currently in Amazing Spider-Man, there's a subplot involving the upcoming election, Menace is attacking and killing candidates, etc. Since the election hasn't happened yet by New Ways to Die, Secret Invasion occurs before November.(or early November)

So, this would leave us roughly with New Ways to Die, the current Moon Knight arc(21-25), then Secret Invasion, then November, then December, then Moon Knight: Silent Knight.

That's if this goes after the current Moon Knight arc. Currently, I think we have Moon Knight 13 before World War Hulk. I suppose this could go between issues 13 & 14 of Moon Knight, but is there a 'Christmas' between World War Hulk and Secret Invasion? If World War Hulk is in 'May' and Secret Invasion is before 'November', has a year and a half passed between WWH & SI? If not, then it has to go after Secret Invasion, based on the above.
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Marlene is upset with Marc because she caught him wearing her dead father's cut-off face ... She seems to be warming back up to him in recent issues
COMICS!!! Image

-Jeph!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Colonel, I agreed totally with your sequence before I read this week's MOON KNIGHT v5 #25, but that issue, which must occur before SECRET INVASION as you say, sets up a new status quo for Moon Knight that doesn't appear to accommodate SILENT KNIGHT. Unless the next MOON KNIGHT story arc happens before Christmas and sets things up in such a way to make SILENT KNIGHT possible, we're going to have to place SILENT KNIGHT sometime before MK5 21. Perhaps SILENT KNIGHT occurs the previous Christmas. Right now, that would means between MK5 12 and 13, but this whole portion of the Calendar is undergoing radical alteration. Colonel, you note that between MK5 13 and 14 is possible for a SILENT KNIGHT placement; is the same true for between MK5 12 and 13?
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I just pulled out and read Moon Knight 25 and you're right, this can't go after issue 25. So I flipped through some Moon Knight back issues...

In Moon Knight 1-12, Spector is trying to get back with Marlene, but she isn't interested. She's dating someone else, and basically tells him there's no chance in issue 11. 12 doesn't feature a Marc/Marlene scene that I saw at a glance.

In issue 13 she realizes that her boyfriend just doesn't cut it, and by 14 she's sleeping with Marc. Issue 14 has a conversation that's similar to Marlene's daydream in Silent Knight; what a normal life between them might be like. She convinces herself that it isn't meant for them in Silent Knight, and they talk about it in issue 14. It's snowing like crazy in issue 14, by the way. Following this is the 'Marlene catches Marc wearing her dead father's cut off-face' scene, which eliminates any sleeping together from there on out.
Paul Bourcier wrote:Colonel, you note that between MK5 13 and 14 is possible for a SILENT KNIGHT placement; is the same true for between MK5 12 and 13?
Given that Marlene is still dating someone else in issue 13, I'd say no. And after going through the books, I'd say that between issues 13 & 14 is the ONLY place for this to go:

MK5 13: Marlene decides her current boyfriend is crap.
MK: SK 1: Marlene wonders what a normal life with Marc would be like, decides against it, sleeps with Marc. 24 Dec.
MK5 14: Marlene sleeps with Marc, tells him they can't have a normal life. Snowy weather.

The annual could go before or after Silent Knight, I'd say before if only because of publication order.
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Sounds good, Colonel. I'm moving MK5 13 to December 14 of Year 23 (at least for now), which is after my placement of MK5 12 and before the Christmas of MK:SK 1. The only problem I see so far is a reference to MK5 22 occurring "four months" after MK5 13; I suspect this will be a longer period. Knowing a bit more about MK5 14-20 would help. (The snow you mentioned in issue 14 fits nicely.)

Deuce, are you still planning to post an analysis of these issues?
Paul B.
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Deuce, are you still planning to post an analysis of these issues?
yes. i'm really sorry i haven't gotten around to it. life's crazy. some time for too long a period of time. i'll get on it though.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

There's no rush, don't worry about it. My free time evaporates November through December, so I kind of know where you're coming from.

It's good to hear you're still on it though, but only when you get the chance. No worries! :)
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Moon Knight shows up in Las Vegas in H4 7-9. Here he's with Marlene and is posing as Stephen Grant. Is this going to have to go between MK5 13 and 14, too?
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Looks like it.

If we needed to open up space, we could figure that the snow seen in Moon Knight 14 was due to the events of Amazing Spider-Man 555-557, which featured an out-of-season snowstorm. Leaving MK5 13 where you have it, would that then put at least 'four months' between MK5 13 & 22?

If so, that would mean HULK is still in the relative past,(which we already knew, but 'further' in the past I guess) sometime before ASM 555, thanks to Moon Knight of all things.
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Wait... how far back are we talking about in a larger picture for those Hulk issues? Because I was under the impression, given the way the "Bod Squad" get referenced in SH 34, that they were pretty recent, even if Secret Invasion automatically ends up between the two (Hell, SI takes a day or two in-comic even with eight/nine months of publishing time taken up by it, so that wouldn't change that).
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Closer to World War Hulk than Secret Invasion, I guess. As for SH 34... I'd have to pull it out and read it again, but it seems that Moon Knight's status quo is the stronger placement clue. If that puts a little more 'time' between Lady Liberators appearances, oh well I suppose.

...Unless the next Moon Knight arc sets things up for Hulk 7-9 to happen post-Secret Invasion & before SH 34-36...
-Daron Jensen
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

Col_Fury wrote:If we needed to open up space, we could figure that the snow seen in Moon Knight 14 was due to the events of Amazing Spider-Man 555-557, which featured an out-of-season snowstorm.
I'm not sure what is out-of-season for New York, but doesn't that story take place during the Winter Solstice? I figured that considering all the "I'm the Winter Solstice. I'm the Darkest Night" talk from the demon/god Wayep. (And considering the Solstices, both Summer and Winter has great importance in occultism.)
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.