Punisher MAX 61-65

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Punisher MAX 61-65

Post by Col_Fury »

Punisher v7 #61
October, 2008

Appearances:
Punisher(Frank Castle), Jigsaw(Billy Russo)-BTS

Synopsis:
Pg1-pg3: a Tuesday in Tierra Rota, Mexico
A woman’s body is dumped, her eyes have been removed and there’s stitching on her back.
Pg4-pg14: a day or two later
The Punisher is approached by a man who tells him that women and girls are disappearing in his Mexican border town, and that they’re being dumped dead and mutilated. He asks for the Punisher’s help and offers to pay him, but the Punisher says he’s not a mercenary.
Pg15-pg19: next day
More bodies are dropped off in Tierra Rota. Meanwhile, the Punisher catches a news flash reporting on the mutilated bodies being dumped there.
Pg20-pg22: next day
The Punisher arrives in Tierra Rota.

References:
Wha…?! Jigsaw? We’ll get to that in a few issues. However, the guys dropping off the dead bodies are acting under Jigsaw's orders in this issue, giving him a BTS.

Pg4-pg14 occurs on the anniversary of Frank’s family’s deaths, whatever time of year that was supposed to be. (apparently it was March, as inferred in a later issue)

Punisher v7 #62
November, 2008

Appearances:
Punisher(Frank Castle), Jigsaw(Billy Russo)

Synopsis:
Pg1-pg3: same day as end of last issue
The Punisher returns the offered money, and chats with the townspeople to see what’s been going on.
Pg4-pg22: next day
Another body has been dumped, but by the time the Punisher goes to check it out there’s already flowers and stuff. So he goes to another dump site that hasn’t been as disturbed and discovers some clues. He then goes to the morgue and performs an autopsy, and discovers that the dumped bodies have been cooking drugs. Meanwhile, the Heavy(Jigsaw) oversees his drug production. The Punisher starts to gather network information, by ‘interviewing’ various drug users and dealers. That night, the Punisher has figured out where the distribution center is and checks it out. He hears gun shots and returns fire, but finds the body of a little girl…

References:
This issue reveals that last issue’s pg1-pg3 occurred on a Tuesday, ‘last Tuesday’ to be specific.

Full moon over Tierra Rota on pg4-pg22.

The guy wearing the gas mask who’s called the Heavy is actually Jigsaw, as revealed in a later issue.

Punisher v7 #63
December, 2008

Appearances:

Synopsis:
Pg1-pg18: day after end of last issue
The Punisher brings the dead girl back to town and contemplates suicide. Meanwhile, the townspeople bury her and Jigsaw oversees his drug production. That night the Punisher changes his mind and digs up the dead girl and pulls out the bullets from her chest, discovering they aren’t his bullets. He then interrogates one of the drug dealers he talked to earlier.
Pg19pn1-pg19pn5-FB: between pg19 & pg20 of last issue
The drug dealer is hired to place a dead girl in the warehouse the Punisher has been led to check out, and places some firecrackers on her. When they fire they sound like gun shots.(the Punisher appears here)
Pg19pn6-FB: after last issue, before this issue
The Punisher takes the dead girl out of the warehouse.
Pg20: same night as pg1-pg18
Now that the Punisher knows someone placed the dead girl there to make him think he killed her, he finds out where the drug headquarters is and kills the dealer.
Pg21-pg22: next morning
The Punisher arrives at the headquarters.

References:
Who knows the Punisher that well? Next issue reveals it’s Jigsaw!

The girl’s tombstone reveals that she was buried in March.

Punisher v7 #64
January, 2009

Appearances:

Synopsis:
Pg1-pg22: same day as end of last issue
While the Punisher attacks the headquarters, the townspeople of Tierra Rota learn that the Punisher didn’t kill the little girl. Meanwhile, the Heavy is revealed to be Jigsaw, and he’s not happy that the Punisher found his new drug operation…

References:
Oh snap! It’s Jigsaw!

Punisher v7 #65
February, 2009

Appearances:

Synopsis:
Pg1-pg23: same day as end of last issue
The Punisher packs up and leaves Tierra Rota and on his way to take care of Jigsaw, he tells the townspeople that they need to stand up for themselves if they don’t want this to happen to their town again. When the Punisher arrives at the production plant, the kidnapped workers are being killed by the handlers. He starts to blow the place up and is attacked by Jigsaw. They fight, Jigsaw escapes, and the Punisher finishes demolishing the plant.
Pg24: next day
The Punisher is back in New York.

References:
It’s raining in New York City on pg24.

Jigsaw’s drug production started not long ago, so I’ll say no appearances for Jigsaw elsewhere for about a month before PUN7 61.

Quick Breakdown:

PUN7 61 (1-3): Tuesday
PUN7 61 (4-14): Thursday
PUN7 61 (15-19): Friday
PUN7 61 (20-22): Saturday
PUN7 62 (1-3): Saturday
PUN7 62 (4-19): Sunday
PUN7 63 (19:1-19:5)-FB: Sunday
PUN7 62 (20-22): Sunday
PUN7 63 (19:6)-FB: Monday
PUN7 63 (1-18): Monday, in March
PUN7 63 (20): Monday
PUN7 63 (21-22): Tuesday
PUN7 64: Tuesday
PUN7 65 (1-23): Tuesday
PUN7 65 (24): Wednesday

This arc of course has to follow PUN7 50-60. This arc also has to precede PWJ2 18-23, because Jigsaw is alive in PUN7 61-65 and dies at the end of PWJ2 18-23. Roughly, this would give us:

PUN7 50-60(Fury appears)
PWJ2 1-15(Civil War-WWH)
PUN7 61-65(Jigsaw alive)
PWJ2 18-23(Jigsaw dies)

I can’t remember off the top of my head if or where any breaks are in PWJ2 1-15. If there are, this could easily go before WWH if it needs to.
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Punisher MAX 61-65

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Col_Fury wrote:
PUN7 50-60(Fury appears)
PWJ2 1-15(Civil War-WWH)
PUN7 61-65(Jigsaw alive)
PWJ2 18-23(Jigsaw dies)
Colonel, thanks for the analysis.

I may have missed this in an earlier analysis, but are you concluding that Fury's appearance in issues of PUN7 is while he was head of SHIELD? Is there an explicit statement to that effect, perhaps in PUN7 55 (1-7)?
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Col_Fury wrote:
Pg4-pg14 occurs on the anniversary of Frank’s family’s deaths, whatever time of year that was supposed to be. (apparently it was March, as inferred in a later issue)
The girl's tombstone inscription can probably be dismissed as a topical reference. (That inscription was done pretty darn quickly!)

According to Punisher Anniversary Magazine, ASM 129 occurs six months after the deaths of Frank's family. After studying the Indexes, I believe ASM 129 occurs in December. Thus, the deaths occurred in June, and given the nice weather in the park that day, that makes more sense than March. I'll see if I can work out a June placement for this arc when the calendar is rehauled.
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Paul Bourcier wrote:I may have missed this in an earlier analysis, but are you concluding that Fury's appearance in issues of PUN7 is while he was head of SHIELD? Is there an explicit statement to that effect, perhaps in PUN7 55 (1-7)?
The opposite. In PUN7 13-18 Fury is explicitly out of SHIELD and he still is as of PUN7 55. The current idea(well, Somebody's & mine) is to put PUN7 60 before Civil War, before PWJ2 starts.
Paul Bourcier wrote:(That inscription was done pretty darn quickly!)
I figure since ladies were dissapearing on a regular basis by then, they had tombstones made up when they went missing to be used whn they found the bodies. Do I get a No-Prize? :)
Paul Boucier wrote:According to Punisher Anniversary Magazine, ASM 129 occurs six months after the deaths of Frank's family. After studying the Indexes, I believe ASM 129 occurs in December. Thus, the deaths occurred in June, and given the nice weather in the park that day, that makes more sense than March. I'll see if I can work out a June placement for this arc when the calendar is rehauled.
That all works for me. I'll just point out that the death of his family is still referred to as occuring in 1976, this arc even mentions that they died "Thirty years ago today".(placing these issues sometime in '2006', I guess. Hey, now that I think about it, Civil War was published in 2006, wasn't it? Does that suggest this arc should be placed close to Civil War? :wink: ) That would now mean that his family died something like 20 years and 6 months before ASM 129... but the original intent is still there. But yeah, that works for me.
-Daron Jensen
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Col_Fury wrote:
I'll just point out that the death of his family is still referred to as occuring in 1976, this arc even mentions that they died "Thirty years ago today".
:shock: Man, just how long can Marvel afford to keep Castle mired in the absolute '60s and '70s given the sliding timescale?

On my calendar, the death of Castle's family occurs in June of Year 7, and thus 17 years before PUN7 61-65. If the "thirty year" reference were taken as truth, those deaths would have occurred six years before FF 1 on my calendar.
Paul B.