Best of Marvel Comics HC - Wolverine story

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Best of Marvel Comics HC - Wolverine story

Post by JephYork »

Can I get some opinions defending or debunking the current chronological placement of the "Best of Marvel Comics" Wolverine story?

Although the HC came out in 1987, this story is currently placed between 1981's UX #148-149.

In the story, the clues I see are: Wolvie is wearing his brown costume, and calls Mariko his love (a sentiment she reciprocates). A Yakuza criminal refers to him as the "champion" of Clan Yashida.

Is this enough to declare that it takes place before Wolvie and Mariko's breakup in UX #173? As far as I know, even after the breakup they still declared their feelings for each other.

Was he Clan Yashida's "champion" before their engagement? Was he their champion after their breakup?

Am I missing some clues?

Thanks!

-Jeph!
Enda80
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Best of Marvel Comics HC - Wolverine story

Post by Enda80 »

As I recall, the story first saw print in an early 1980's giveaway.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

...no.

The Wolvie story was created for the 1987 "Best of Marvel Comics" HC (the contents page calls it "an ALL-NEW story"), which was sold exclusively at Sears stores. It wasn't a "giveaway", but it wasn't a standard Marvel release either.

The only other time it's been reprinted was in the back of the "Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics" book, which confirmed the above.

So: back to my original question, about its chronology. Anyone?

-Jeph!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

I think, and I could be wrong here, that him being the "champion" of Clan Yashida is just another way of saying he's Mariko's boyfriend. I don't think they started to date seriously until Uncanny 122-123... and then she was married off to someone else sometime before the first issue of the Wolverine miniseries by Claremont & Miller. And then she publicly dumped him at the alter around Uncanny 173, so I don't think it could go after that.

So if I'm remembering right, sometime after Uncanny 139(brown suit) and sometime before Wolverine 1. Between Uncanny 148 & 149 sounds right.
-Daron Jensen