New Marvels on January 21

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Marvels on January 21

Post by Col_Fury »

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #584
ASTONISHING X-MEN #28
DARK AVENGERS #1 with Granov and Blank Cover variants!
DR DOOM MASTERS OF EVIL #1
GHOST RIDER #31
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #9
MIGHTY AVENGERS #21
MOON KNIGHT #26
NEWTM EXILES #17
PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE #66
THUNDERBOLTS #128
UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL #2
WAR MACHINE #2
WEAPON X: FIRST CLASS #3 (OF 3)
WOLVERINE: ORIGINS #32
X-FACTOR #39
X-MEN: KINGBREAKER #2 (OF 4)
X-MEN: LEGACY #220
YOUNG X-MEN #10

Other Stuff:
ENDERS SHADOW: BATTLE SCHOOL #2 (OF 5)
MARVEL ADVENTURES: AVENGERS #32
SPIDER-MAN NOIR #2 (OF 4) with a Calero variant!
SQUADRON SUPREME 2 #7
YTHAQ FORSAKEN WORLD #2 (OF 3)

Collections:
MARVEL MASTERWORKS: GOLDEN AGE CAPTAIN AMERICA VOL 03
RUINS #1 with a Logo variant!
SECRET INVASION: HOME INVASION TPB
SECRET INVASION: WAR MACHINE TPB
WOLVERINE: FIRST CLASS VOL 02 TO RUSSIA WITH LOVE TPB

On the Marvel list but not the Previews list:
CAPTAIN AMERICA THEATER OF WAR: AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL #1

19 for me, 20 if that Captain America Theater of War ships. And of course, that Masterworks as well. :)
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: New Marvels on January 21

Post by DonCampbell »

Is DR DOOM MASTERS OF EVIL supposedly set in the normal Marvel Universe? I assumed that it was an out-of-continuity, Marvel Adventures-type title and didn't order it.

Also, the corrected version of X-Men: Manifest Destiny #5 didn't ship to my area this week. Did it ship at all? If not, then it should also be arriving on January 21st.

Don Campbell
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Thirteen for me this time.
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

DonCampbell wrote:Is DR DOOM MASTERS OF EVIL supposedly set in the normal Marvel Universe? I assumed that it was an out-of-continuity, Marvel Adventures-type title and didn't order it.
Apparently - and yes, this suprised me too - it IS meant to be MU, if not necessarily present day:
http://bit.ly/3W7mxB wrote:What's different about working with the mainstream Marvel Universe, as opposed to Marvel Adventures?

PT: Different toolbox. Guns here, but not there. Sexier in one than the other. Embracing continuity in one place, but tossing it around in the other. They both have their advantages, and I like to keep my hand in both.
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

a whopping 17 for me. i'm not getting Ghost Rider, the Dr. Doom book, or New Exiles from the main list, but i'm getting everything else! and i'll also be picking up the Ender book.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

CAPTAIN AMERICA THEATER OF WAR: AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL #1

It's shipping this week, for anyone interested.
-Daron Jensen
Ross
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ross »

Big week for someone like me who is a fan of "villain books" (Dark Avengers, Dr. Doom, Thunderbolts).

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #584
ASTONISHING X-MEN #28
DARK AVENGERS #1
DR DOOM MASTERS OF EVIL #1
GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #9
MIGHTY AVENGERS #21
THUNDERBOLTS #128
WAR MACHINE #2

Dropping PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE out of deference to Warren Ellis. (If I hear it continues to be great, I'll buy the trades.)
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Ross wrote:Dropping PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE out of deference to Warren Ellis.
???
Ross
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ross »

Ummm... replace "Warren Ellis" with "Garth Ennis". It was way too early when I wrote that. (And damn these Brits and their similar E-double-consonant-I-S last names.)
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Even given that that makes more sense, I'm still not quite sure why it's in "deference to", unless Ennis posted to tell everyone to drop the book now he's gone.
Ross
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ross »

Because the book's first story arc without him was a pale shadow of its former self.
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by TheDeuce »

i'm not trying to be weird/a jerk, but seriously, what's up with the list of what books are coming out? Fury, i know you're just doing us all a favor by posting these, but this week Squadron Supreme came out and Ender's Shadow didn't.

there must certainly be a way to know what to expect before i go into the shop every week. like i said, nothing against you, Fury, but i used to just come here every week to see what i was going to get, but lately it seems like i'm spending 15-20 minutes at the shop every week trying to figure out why the amount of books i'm buying is different than what i thought i was going to buy.

am i the only one this happens to? i'd feel better if i knew that some other people out there are like, "wtf? where's X, i heard it was supposed to come out this week." i've just never really seen anyone mention this. is it a regional thing? is it just my comic shop? is there no way of really knowing for sure what's going to be out each week?

oh my god. i feel better. i'd been meaning to say all that for a while.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Col_Fury posts lists that are released 6-7 days ahead of the weekly on-sale date. They're generally pretty on-target, but a lot of things can change in a week.

As the on-sale date gets closer and closer, more and more accurate lists show up on the web. If you want a 100% accurate list, you usually have to wait until the Monday afternoon before the on-sale date.

Fury's lists are great for what they are -- well-in-advance notice with a fuzzy accuracy rate. ;-)

By the way, since we're doing "things we'd been meaning to say for a while" -- what's with everyone's "oh hey here's the list of comics I'm going to buy this week" posts? Do any of you really think that the other board members are dying of curiosity about your purchase habits? I ask lightheartedly ... but seriously, what's with that?

-Jeph!
Ross
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ross »

jephyork wrote:By the way, since we're doing "things we'd been meaning to say for a while" -- what's with everyone's "oh hey here's the list of comics I'm going to buy this week" posts? Do any of you really think that the other board members are dying of curiosity about your purchase habits? I ask lightheartedly ... but seriously, what's with that?
I dunno, why not? I like being able to see what other people are buying - if everyone else is reading something and I'm not, I wonder, am I missing something here? The lists often lead to recommendations and I've started buying a few books because of them.

And isn't your pull list sort of your "fingerprint" as a Marvel reader? I think it's neat to see what other people are into.

It's also a nice reference. Often I'll be in the comic shop and, being unable to remember what I'd planned to buy this week, I'll pull up my post on here on my phone as a reminder.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Exactly, it's fun. And I'd like to think I got Ross to start reading Spider-Man again because of these. :)

By the way, my shop didn't get the Captain America Masterworks, it looks like it didn't ship. :x

I've been falling a bit behind on when I usually post these, I may just end up posting them the week of release for a bit until I get caught up on some other things. When I get back on track, do you guys want me to go back to a week in advance?
-Daron Jensen