Coming from Marvel in April

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Coming from Marvel in April

Post by JD »

Full solicitations at Newsarama, as usual : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090120- ... tions.html
If you prefer Comic Book Resources, here you go : http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=19606
Or you could go directly to the Marvel website : http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2009-04

I'm slightly late, but I was shocked on how much Marvel will be flooding the market in April. And it's not just the deluge of items related to the Wolverine movie... Anyway, the highlights :

NEW SERIES

- WOLVERINE: WEAPON X #1, by Aaron and Garney. A fourth regular ongoing, because there will be a movie out soon.

- RAMPAGING WOLVERINE #1, an anthology B&W book. Well it IS doing something different, but it's still a fifth Wolverine ongoing...

- SPIDER-WOMAN #1, by Bendis and Maleev. Finally !

- FANTASTIC FORCE #1, by Ahearne and Kurth, features the team that came back from the future in Millar's FF. Wait, they're doing an ongoing about these guys ? Who asked for this ?

- EXILES #1, by Parker and Espin, completely relaunches the series with a new team (and the return of Blink).

- WOLVERINE MAGAZINE #1 seems to be a newsstand reprint book.

NEW MINISERIES

- WAR OF KINGS: ASCENSION #1 (of 4), by Abnett, Lanning and Alves, seems to focus on Darkhawk.

- DARK REIGN: HAWKEYE #1 (of 5), by Diggle & Raney, has its contents CLASSIFIED. How quaint !

- SKRULL KILL KREW #1 (of 5), by Felber and Siqueira. For all those who wanted yet more Skrull infiltrators being beaten to a pulp.

- DEADPOOL: SUICIDE KINGS #1 (of 5), by Benson and Barberi. Because he's in the Wolverine movie, you see.

- ALL-NEW SAVAGE SHE-HULK #1 (of 4), by Van Lente & "to be announced", features Thundra's daughter.

- MARVEL ZOMBIES 4 #1 (of 4), by Van Lente & Walker : very soon after the last one, I see.

- TIMESTORM: 2009-2099 #1 (of 4), by Reed and Battle. A crossover between the 2099 universe and the regular MU.

- DAREDEVIL NOIR #1 (of 4), by Irvine and Coker. It promises "a unique spin" on DD, which I have trouble to see.

- WOLVERINE NOIR #1 (of 4), by Moore & Smith. Well, at least the creative team is promising.

- THE DESTROYER #1 (of 5), by Kirkman and Walker. MAX book.

- ANITA BLAKE: THE LAUGHING CORPSE - NECROMANCER #1 (of 5), by the usual creative team.

- PRIDE & PREJUDICE #1 (of 5), an adaptation of the Austen novel by Butler and Petrus.

- YTHAQ - NO ESCAPE #1 (of 3), by Arleston & Floch, is another Soleil offering.

- MARVEL ASSISTANT-SIZED SPECTACULAR #1 & 2 (OF 2), by various : Assistant-Editor Month is back, but as a separate mini this time.

ONESHOTS

- CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Robinson and Martin (plus an unspecified Simon/Kirby reprint).
- SUB-MARINER COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Thomas and Breitweiser (plus a reprint of his first appearance).
- MARVEL 70TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION is the Marvel Spotlight team's contribution

- DARK REIGN: THE CABAL, by various creative teams, is an anthology book (in the same vein as NEW NATION, presumably).

- WOLVERINE: THE ANNIVERSARY, by Harms, Maberry, Palo and Boschi : because two new ongoing series and various minis won't be enough to quench the public's thirst of Wolverine, we need another random Wolverine one-shot.

- X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE #1, by Yost and Texeira : exactly what it says on the tin.

- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THEATER OF WAR: A BROTHER IN ARMS, by Jenkins and McCrae, again features the original Cap in WW2.

- MARVEL APES: AMAZING SPIDER-MONKEY #1, by Kesel, Peyer, Brown & Hardin.

- FRANKLIN RICHARDS: APRIL FOOLS! Wait, is this becoming bimonthly ?

- NEW MUTANTS SAGA, presumably to trail yet another relaunch. It's free !

- WOLVERINE: WEAPON X FILES : the Handbook office take a break for their revised hardcovers to tie-in with the movie.

Glorified fill-in watch :
- SECRET INVASION AFTERMATH: BETA RAY BILL – THE GREEN OF EDEN #1, by Gillen & Brereton, takes THOR's place on the schedule.

NOTABLE ISSUES

- the WAR OF KINGS crossover continues in WOK #2, NOVA #24, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #13 and WOK: ASCENSION #1, all written by the same duo of writers.

- DEADPOOL #9 and THUNDERBOLTS #131 conclude their crossover.

- The MESSIAH WAR crossover continues in CABLE #13 and X-FORCE #14. Wait, Stryfe's back ?

- ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #133 concludes the series. Hopefully it'll come back in another form.
- Meanwhile, ULTIMATE WOLVERINE VS. HULK ships both issues #4 and #5. Whatever you think about Yu, he's fast.

- UNCANNY X-MEN also ships twice (#508 and #509).

- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY #5 switches to a new format with only new stories, including the continuation of AMAZING SPIDER-GIRL.

- MS. MARVEL #38 has its contents CLASSIFIED, for no apparent reason.

- RUNAWAYS #9 concludes Moore's run. What next ?

- On the week of April 1st, Marvel will ship 43 different books (and that's not even counting the collections). Fourty-three ! And this is a 5-week month, so they have no excuse for not spacing them out. How can it be a good idea to launch FIVE ongoings and TWELVE minis the same week ? Is this a joke ?

GONE MISSING THIS MONTH :
- THOR
- SKAAR: SON OF HULK (though they've actually rescheduled one of the two March issues for April)
- YOUNG X-MEN's been cancelled, with March's #12 being the last issue.
- ULTIMATUM

Vaporware :
- CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE
- newuniversal: stormfront (the artist has done various fill-ins and is now on another ongoing altogether, which is not a good sign...)
- THE TWELVE (what happened ?)

PRICE WATCH
Follow Marvel's price hikes in real time ! (for MU regular titles only)

- 64 pages for $4.99 : AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY #5
- 48 pages for $3.99 : RAMPAGING WOLVERINE #1 (no ads, but in B&W)
- 40 pages for $3.99 : ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #133, ASTONISHING TALES #3
- 40 pages for $3.99 ("including 8 pages of Director's Cut extras !") : FANTASTIC FORCE #1, EXILES #1, WOLVERINE: WEAPON X #1
- 32 pages for $3.99 : DARK AVENGERS #4, NEW AVENGERS #52, SPIDER-WOMAN #1, HULK #11, PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE MAX #69

NOTABLE COLLECTIONS

- Marvel Masterworks : Golden Age Young Allies v1, Sub-Mariner v3, Avengers v1
- Essentials : Dazzler v2
- GAMBIT CLASSIC VOL. 1 TPB and DEADPOOL CLASSIC VOL. 2 TPB : they're both in the Wolverine movie, of course.

- SPIDER-MAN: TORMENT PREMIERE HC reprints the opening story of McFarlane's SPIDER-MAN.

- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: THE POWER OF STARHAWK PREMIERE HC

- EXILES ULTIMATE COLLECTION BOOK 1 TPB, presumably to tie-in with the new relaunch.

- SPIDER-MAN 2099 VOL. 1 TPB

- In an interesting move, UNCANNY X-MEN: MANIFEST DESTINY HC also reprints some of the stories from the X-MEN: MANIFEST DESTINY anthology miniseries (but not the Iceman serial), as well as the FCBD story.

- THE ART OF MARKO DJURDJEVIC HC.

So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Coming from Marvel in April

Post by Somebody »

JD wrote:- RAMPAGING WOLVERINE #1, an anthology B&W book. Well it IS doing something different, but it's still a fifth Wolverine ongoing...
Like I said to you on Paul O's blog, I'm not entirely convinced this is a series rather than a one-shot...
JD wrote:- SPIDER-WOMAN #1, by Bendis and Maleev. Finally !
Wasn't this meant to be Spider-Woman: Agent of SWORD? And, in-continuity, how are they explaining her keeping that costume?
JD wrote:- EXILES #1, by Parker and Espin, completely relaunches the series with a new team (and the return of Blink).
Idon'twanttogetthisbutIhaveto...
JD wrote:- MARVEL ZOMBIES 4 #1 (of 4), by Van Lente & Walker : very soon after the last one, I see.
Well, considering the ending to MZ3, it's pretty much the second half of THAT series...
JD wrote:- THE DESTROYER #1 (of 5), by Kirkman and Walker. MAX book.
Wasn't this announced something like a year back? I presumed it had come, gone and I just missed it.
JD wrote:- MARVEL ASSISTANT-SIZED SPECTACULAR #1 & 2 (OF 2), by various : Assistant-Editor Month is back, but as a separate mini this time.
With MINI-MARVELS!!!
JD wrote:- FRANKLIN RICHARDS: APRIL FOOLS! Wait, is this becoming bimonthly ?
Well, I won't complain if it is...
JD wrote:Glorified fill-in watch :
- SECRET INVASION AFTERMATH: BETA RAY BILL – THE GREEN OF EDEN #1, by Gillen & Brereton, takes THOR's place on the schedule.
Why do they keep feeling the need to mess around with BRB's costume? The Nova scheme does nothing for it...
JD wrote:- the WAR OF KINGS crossover continues in WOK #2, NOVA #24, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #13 and WOK: ASCENSION #1, all written by the same duo of writers.
Yup, looks like DnA are earning their pay...
JD wrote:- MS. MARVEL #38 has its contents CLASSIFIED, for no apparent reason.
If this Brian Reed interview is telling the truth, there's a reason. (Apparent MAJOR SPOILERS for MSM in that link)
JD wrote:- On the week of April 1st, Marvel will ship 43 different books (and that's not even counting the collections). Fourty-three [sic]! And this is a 5-week month, so they have no excuse for not spacing them out. How can it be a good idea to launch FIVE ongoings and TWELVE minis the same week ? Is this a joke ?
I think there must be some rescheduling to come there. There MUST be...
JD wrote:Vaporware
- THE TWELVE (what happened ?)
JMS and the artist are both, separately, busy in Hollywood.
JD wrote:- In an interesting move, UNCANNY X-MEN: MANIFEST DESTINY HC also reprints some of the stories from the X-MEN: MANIFEST DESTINY anthology miniseries (but not the Iceman serial), as well as the FCBD story.
Which makes me wonder what, exactly, they're going to do with the Iceman serial, since it's not much longer than a single comic. Bung it in an X-Men: Legacy TPB?
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JLH »

JD wrote:Who asked for this ?
Probably the same clueless editors who asked for "Skarette, Daughter of Hulk", aka the new She-Hulk book.

*doh*
Ross
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Ross »

JD wrote:ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #133 concludes the series. Hopefully it'll come back in another form.
Holy crap! What ongoing titles does that leave us with in the Ultimate Universe? I thnk Millar is supposed to be doing "Ultimate Avengers" at some point, and... ?
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Ross wrote:
JD wrote:ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #133 concludes the series. Hopefully it'll come back in another form.
Holy crap! What ongoing titles does that leave us with in the Ultimate Universe? I thnk Millar is supposed to be doing "Ultimate Avengers" at some point, and... ?
Teh Lobe and Frank Cho's "New Ultimates".

Ultimate Spider-Man's also continuing in some form (I heard one rumour - which I don't credit overmuch, but you never know - that Bendis would do Ultimate Spider-Woman for a year or so before turning the book back into USM), and I wouldn't bet against Ultimate Wolverine as the fourth.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

To the surprise of no one, I'm really looking forward to that Young Allies Masterworks. :)
JD wrote:- CAPTAIN AMERICA COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Robinson and Martin (plus an unspecified Simon/Kirby reprint).
- SUB-MARINER COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Thomas and Breitweiser (plus a reprint of his first appearance).
- MARVEL 70TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION is the Marvel Spotlight team's contribution
Yay for all of these!
JD wrote:- SPIDER-WOMAN #1, by Bendis and Maleev. Finally !
Yay!
JD wrote:- TIMESTORM: 2009-2099 #1 (of 4), by Reed and Battle. A crossover between the 2099 universe and the regular MU.
I know nothing about this, but I'm interested.
JD wrote:- MARVEL ASSISTANT-SIZED SPECTACULAR #1 & 2 (OF 2), by various : Assistant-Editor Month is back, but as a separate mini this time.
Yay assistant editors! :)
JD wrote:- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THEATER OF WAR: A BROTHER IN ARMS, by Jenkins and McCrae, again features the original Cap in WW2.
I usually like Jenkins' stuff, but his last CATOW didn't do much for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood when I read it...
JD wrote:- SECRET INVASION AFTERMATH: BETA RAY BILL – THE GREEN OF EDEN #1, by Gillen & Brereton, takes THOR's place on the schedule.
Yay Beta Ray Bill! :D
JD wrote:- THE TWELVE (what happened ?)
I was really enjoying this, too. I don't care if they're doing Hollywood stuff, I want my TWELVE!
-Daron Jensen
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Another "Gone Missing" title

Post by DonCampbell »

ETERNALS wasn't mentioned in the "Gone Missing This Month" section. However, an explanation may be found in the latest issue. The blurb on the last page of issue #8 ends by inviting readers to 'Stay with us for the final chapter in the Eternals saga entitled: "To Defy the Apocalypse!"' Yes, it looks like ETERNALS is ending with issue #9, another silent cancellation from Marvel.

Don Campbell
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Oh, yeah, sorry. I stopped following Eternals a couple of issues in, so I don't track it in my spreadsheet and I completely missed its disappearance.