Coming from Marvel in May

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Coming from Marvel in May

Post by JD »

Full solicitations at Newsarama, as usual : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090217- ... tions.html
If you prefer Comic Book Resources, here you go : http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=20075
Or you could go directly to the Marvel website : http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2009-05

NEW SERIES

- NEW MUTANTS #1, by Wells and Neves. Featuring most of the original gang (except Wolfsbane, who is busy in X-FORCE).

NEW MINISERIES

- DARK REIGN: YOUNG AVENGERS #1 (of 5), by Cornell & Brooks. Apparently finally moving their plot forwards, while introducing the Dark Young Avengers.

- DARK REIGN: THE HOOD #1 (of 5), by Parker and Hotz. Hopefully it'll make some sense of the character's recent use...

- ULTIMATUM: SPIDER-MAN REQUIEM BOOK #1 (of 2), by Bendis, Bagley and Immonen : it looks like there will barely be any hiatus before the relaunch...

- GENEXT: UNITED #1 (of 5), by Claremont and Meyers : some people liked the first one, apparently.

- LOCKJAW AND THE PET AVENGERS #1 (of 4), by Eliopoulos & Guara. Sounds fun.

- THOR: TALES OF ASGARD BY STAN LEE & JACK KIRBY #1 (of 5) : reprints, obviously.

- TERROR, INC.: APOCALYPSE SOON #1 & 2 (of 5), by Lapham & Turnbull : a MAX sequel.

- RIFTWAR #1 (of 5), by Glass & Stegman. Er, no idea what this, but it sounds like the adaptation of a Fantasy novel.

- DARK TOWER: THE FALL OF GILEAD #1 (of 6), by David, Furth and Isanove. Jae Lee only contributes to the cover.

- THE TROJAN WAR #1 (of 5), by Thomas & Sepulveda

ONESHOTS

- PLANET SKAAR PROLOGUE, by Pak and Panosian. Strangely, there's been no hint yet how wide-reaching this "event" will be. SKAAR #11 is "part one", but will it include other titles ?

- SPIDER-MAN: THE SHORT HALLOWEEN, by Mader, Meyers (from Saturday Night Live !) and Maguire. On the one hand, it's yet another couple of random TV writers. On the other hand, it's Maguire on art... Tough decision...

- HOWLING COMMANDOS #1, by Alexander and Leon. Apparently setup for CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE, but who cares ?
(On an unrelated note : on can they call WHITE "best-selling" when it hasn't shipped a single issue yet ?)

- FIN FANG FOUR RETURN! #1, by Gray and Langridge : Yeah !

- HUMAN TORCH COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Snyder & Wegener. Includes an unspecified GA reprint.
- MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by DeFalco & Burnham. Here again, it's 22 page new + 10 page reprint.

- MARVEL APES: GRUNT LINE SPECIAL, by Kesel and Suitor : when will this joke die ?

- MARVEL READING CHRONOLOGY : but mostly in terms of collections. And hey, it's free !

- MARVEL 70TH ANNIVERSARY POSTER BOOK : exactly what it says on the tin.

- X-MEN: FUTURE HISTORY – THE MESSIAH WAR SOURCEBOOK includes contributions by our own Jeph York !

- X-MEN FOREVER ALPHA : a reprint of X-MEN v2 #1-3, in preparation for the new Claremont series.

Glorified fill-in watch :
- None, surprisingly.

NOTABLE ISSUES

- War of Kings continues in WOK #3, WOK:ASCENSION #2, NOVA #25 and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #14.

- Messiah War continues in CABLE #14 and X-FORCE #15.

- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #595 starts a 5-issue Dark Reign tie-in.

- Interestingly, the "World's most wanted" arc in INVICIBLE IRON MAN is said to hit its "halfway point", hinting that Dark Reign will probably conclude around November.

- AGENTS OF ATLAS ships two issues this month : #4 and #5.

- RUNAWAYS #10 looks a lot like a fill-in issue, with a Molly/Wolverine team-up.

- WOLVERINE #73 & #74 double-ships with a bridging story by the other books' regular writers. Next month, it will become DARK WOLVERINE, a Daken book.
Meanwhile, the conclusion of the Millar/McNiven story will appear in a future one-shot.

- ULTIMATUM finally concludes.

GONE MISSING THIS MONTH :
- DAREDEVIL (running a bit late those days)

Vaporware :
- newuniversal and THE TWELVE have been officially cancelled, they'll wait for more material before soliciting the last few issues.
- Still no CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE...

PRICE WATCH
Follow Marvel's price hikes in real time ! (for MU regular titles only)

- 64 pages for $4.99 : AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY #6
- 48 pages for $3.99 : CAPTAIN AMERICA #50
- 40 pages for $3.99 : ASTONISHING TALES #4, RUNAWAYS #10, NEW MUTANTS #1
- 32 pages for $3.99 : DARK AVENGERS #5, NEW AVENGERS #53, HULK #12, THOR #602, WOLVERINE: WEAPON X #2, PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE MAX #70... but not SPIDER-WOMAN #2 (the solicit is wrong, it's $2.99).

LOCKJAW AND THE PET AVENGERS is another young-readers mini at $2.99. Which is rare enough these days to be mentionned.

ERRATA AND UPDATE

- RAMPAGING WOLVERINE is not monthly. The April solicitations did not have the "One-Shot" mention, though, so it may still be something else (bimonthly ? quarterly ?).

- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY has gone monthly, starting with issue #5 in April.

- SPIDER-WOMAN #1 has apparently been pushed back to June (!). Maybe Maleev is finishing that Halo mini ?

NOTABLE COLLECTIONS

- Marvel Masterworks : Atlas Era Black Knight/Yellow Claw v1, Spider-Man v11 (+ a v2 TPB)
- Essentials : Spider-Man v9, X-Men v9 (the non-team period !)
-

- X-MEN: MANIFEST DESTINY HC reprints the Wolverine mini, the Nightcrawler one-shot, and most of what's left of the actual anthology miniseries (including the Iceman serial). Well, that's one mystery solved.

- AVENGERS FOREVER HC

- BLACK WIDOW: THE STING OF THE WIDOW PREMIERE HC includes some of her early appearances (including her Amazing Adventures run).

- THOR: BALDER THE BRAVE PREMIERE HC collects a mini from the... 80s (?) and related THOR issues. All Simonson goodness, with a side helping of Buscema art for good measure.

- MARVEL SAGA: ASTONISHING X-MEN, SQUADRON SUPREME, RUNAWAYS GN - uh ?

- WAR OF KINGS: ROAD TO WAR OF KINGS TPB includes the initial one-shot, the X-MEN: KINGBREAKER mini, the SAGA book, and that Starjammers 8-page from the X-MEN: DIVIDED WE STAND anthology mini.

- ALIAS ULTIMATE COLLECTION BOOK 1 TPB

- X-MEN 2099 VOL. 1 TPB

So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Coming from Marvel in May

Post by Col_Fury »

JD wrote:HOWLING COMMANDOS #1, by Alexander and Leon. Apparently setup for CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE, but who cares ?
Me! I do! It's the Howling Commandos! Even if Captain America: White never sees the light of day, at the very least it gave us a new Sgt. Fury one-shot! And it's by Jon Paul Leon! Yay! :mrgreen:
JD wrote:SPIDER-MAN: THE SHORT HALLOWEEN, by Mader, Meyers (from Saturday Night Live !) and Maguire. On the one hand, it's yet another couple of random TV writers. On the other hand, it's Maguire on art... Tough decision...
I'm definitely getting this. I think Mader & Meyers are hilarious, and it's Spider-Man by Kevin Maguire! How can we go wrong?
JD wrote:FIN FANG FOUR RETURN! #1, by Gray and Langridge : Yeah !
Yay!
JD wrote:LOCKJAW AND THE PET AVENGERS #1 (of 4), by Eliopoulos & Guara. Sounds fun.
It does, and I like fun, so I'll check this out.
JD wrote:HUMAN TORCH COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Snyder & Wegener. Includes an unspecified GA reprint.
MARVEL MYSTERY COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by DeFalco & Burnham. Here again, it's 22 page new + 10 page reprint.
I'm looking forward to these.
JD wrote:...THE TWELVE have been officially cancelled, they'll wait for more material before soliciting the last few issues.
Dang it. Oh well, at least we're getting a new Sgt. Fury one-shot! :yepp:
-Daron Jensen
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Col_Fury wrote:
JD wrote:HOWLING COMMANDOS #1, by Alexander and Leon. Apparently setup for CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHITE, but who cares ?
Me! I do! It's the Howling Commandos! Even if Captain America: White never sees the light of day, at the very least it gave us a new Sgt. Fury one-shot! And it's by Jon Paul Leon! Yay! :mrgreen:
That's what I meant : even if it's not entirely self-contained, it's still a very good creative team on a promising book.

On an unrelated note, I complained last month about Marvel scheduling an insane amount of books for the first week of April. Well, it's more or less the same for May. The good news is that around half of those early April books have been rescheduled to the other weeks of the month : the April release schedule is now a lot more sensible. Presumably they'll do the same for May.
On the other hand, it would be less annoying if they solicited the right schedule in the first place.
Starman
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by Starman »

JD wrote:- MARVEL READING CHRONOLOGY : but mostly in terms of collections. And hey, it's free !
Free? Can someone pick up a copy for me? Pretty please? :|
- Stefan
Pro Wrestling (NES):
The super space-traveller Star Man wears a mask and a costume with a color palette that no human being alive would be caught dead in. With his awesome back flip kick to the face and flying head butt, he's the fan-fave.