Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Rosniak
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Fantastic Four

Post by Rosniak »

Hi,

Have just found this website and love it! Have been fascinated by the timeline in Marvel comics for over thirty years and feel that the only way to work out who much time has passed from FF1 is to work it up day by day rather than try to work out ages and build theories around casual references in particular issues. The official indexes of way back did a great job of this by linking everything to Peter Parkers years in college etc. in the comment section and I think this helped to give chronology a cohesiveness that really impressed me. I love the new indexes too and hope they continue for a long time to come but I'd love to see a section (even a page or two!) explaining how much time has passed between one point and another - its the passage of time that is my major interest in chronology terms and I really miss them in these indexes.

Even if we had a crude timeline with major events listed for each year this could be used to guide writers of the future. Unfortunately if the number of years from FF1 is too large Marvel will never accept it as it would make the characters too old. I think it all has to be based around Spiderman seeing as he has the most number of appearances to fit into any 'year'. After all if it fits for Peter, it can be made to fit for other characters. I had a go a few years back of dividing all of the main Spiderman books up into Marvel years and think I did it pretty well (according to references issue by issue as to what was 'next week', last month' etc.) Will maybe have to dig it out again and see what people think.

I'm not a big fan of the recent run on Fantastic Four by Millar and Hitch but I did notice in #564 that Frankin was referenced as 'a few years younger than eleven' and Valeria was 'two and a half'. Anyone know how accurate this would be in terms of the overall picture? I think this is working on a premise of about 10 years since FF1. Any comments?
TheDeuce
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Fantastic Four

Post by TheDeuce »

check out: Paul Bourcier's Marvel Calendar at the bottom of this page or at this link to view something Paul has been working on.

http://www.chronologyproject.com/calendar.htm
Rosniak
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by Rosniak »

Thanks, I have checked out the calendar but the large number of years is the problem with that one. Mine fits into 13 years and is consistent with previus indexes, Marvel Saga etc.

Here is mine:
Spiderman Fantastic Four Avengers X-Men
Year 1 1-12 1-26 1-5 1-5
Year 2 13-40 (starts Freshman) 27-64 6-40 6-27
Year 3 41-94 (starts Sophomore) 65-115 (Franklin born) 41-87 (Henry & Janet marry)28-66
Year 4 95-131 (starts Junior) 116-144 88- No issues
Year 5 132-166 (starts Senior) 145-176 (Crystal & Quicksilver marry) end 156 94-98
Year 6 167-204 (graduates) 177-218 188 is in October 99-142
Year 7 205-274 & PP43-112 end about 288 ends about 256 143-205
Year 8 275-314 (marries) & PP143-148 & Web 14-49
Year 9 315-247 & PP 149-173 & Web 50-72
Year 10 348-385
Year 11 386-441
Year 12 442-500
Year 13 501-544
Year 14 The current year!

I have only been updating this tonight so there needs a lot of work done on it. I have stuck to the years of Peter Parker's education and tried to fit some Christmas stories in at the right place but obviously not all fit. I would have to check out the last few years in more detail 9they are very rough estimates, but I think they can handle more issues as the stories around Cloine saga era had a tighter continuity so time passed slower.

Oh and just in case I'm not clear the events in brackets happen during the year not in the final issue in case I have confused some people.

Comments/help appreciated!

OOOPs....my lovely tabbed format collapses when I submit this...just read the issue numbers in each line to refer to Spiderman, then Fantastic Four, then Avengers, then X-Men!
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Rosniak wrote
Thanks, I have checked out the calendar but the large number of years is the problem with that one. Mine fits into 13 years and is consistent with previus indexes, Marvel Saga etc.
The Calendar is also consistent with previous indexes. I think the difference comes from the point the indexes end to the present. As you know, one danger in drawing a timeline from just one title is that you ignore all the timelines of intersecting titles, which encompass the entire MU.

Always good to hear from another timeline enthusiast!
Paul B.
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

Since you are tracking some of Peter Parker's history through his education, here are some points that could help.
1/ A high school "sophomore," per ASM 240, when he gained his powers in AAF 1.
2/ Graduates high school in ASM 28.
3/ Enrolls in ESU in ASM 31.
4/ An ESU "sophomore" in ASM 70.
5/ An ESU "junior" in ASM 136.
6/ Attends his college graduation in ASM 185/2, but is one credit short.
7/ Completes his "first-year graduate-studies" in ASM 243 before leaving school.
Rosniak
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by Rosniak »

Great informative replies guys, thanks a lot!

Away to do my homework now!
Human-Man
Supporting Character
Supporting Character

Post by Human-Man »

Your estimate of 13 years is actually spot on according to Marvel. This time was given in The Thing #8 (2006).