Harpoon's real name -- where did it come from?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Harpoon's real name -- where did it come from?

Post by JephYork »

The Marauder, Harpoon, is apparently named "Kodiak Noatak". Can anyone tell me where this name was revealed?

It might have been in a handbook. It was in 2003's "Marvel Encyclopedia vol. 2: X-Men", but that book's writer says he got it from somewhere else. Uncannyxmen.net says it was revealed in the "Wolverine Encyclopedia", but I'm not seeing it there. (Then again, it may have been in an entry other than Harpoon's own.)

Anyone know?

-Jeph!
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Re: Harpoon's real name -- where did it come from?

Post by JLH »

From his parents, most likely.

Okay, so you've narrowed it to prior to 2003. He made no appearances between 99 and 04.

Anyone check his entry in Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89?
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

jephyork wrote:It was in 2003's "Marvel Encyclopedia vol. 2: X-Men", but that book's writer says he got it from somewhere else.
Can't he remember? If you're referring to who I think you're referring to, he has priors in this department...
Peter Fabricius
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Peter Fabricius »

JLH wrote:Anyone check his entry in Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Update '89?
The Update '89 lists his real name as 'Unrevealed'.
And he is not in the Master Edition.
Only three weeks on the job and already I live for seeing his forehead turn that shade of pink.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

The information on Uncannyxmen.net, which states the name and claims that it was used in the Wolverine Handbook, was from May 2002. Eric Moreels' Marvel Encyclopedia v2: X-Men came out in late 2003. He's in the clear here.

And no, six years later he doesn't recall where he found the name during his research. (Maybe FROM uxm.net?)

I read Wolverine Encyclopedia #1-2 stem to stern and don't see it. Is there, maybe, another book out there with a similar name, that UXM.net confused it with? Maybe one of those "outside publisher" Encyclopedia-style books, like the ones DK puts out?

I checked all his comic appearances and Handbook entries -- nothing.

Maybe it was from a novel, a trading card, a gaming module?

Maybe, somehow, uxm.net got ahold of the script for the third, unreleased issue of the Wolverine Encyclopedia?

I'm open to all possibilities at this point...

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

UXN didn't start crediting the Wolverine Encyclopedia until some time between May 21 and Jun 7, 2004, judging from the Wayback Machine. I'm wondering if, in a circular piece of logic, they meant the X-Men Encyclopedia (or Wolverine Handbook)...
jephyork wrote:The information on Uncannyxmen.net, which states the name and claims that it was used in the Wolverine Handbook, was from May 2002. Eric Moreels' Marvel Encyclopedia v2: X-Men came out in late 2003. He's in the clear here.

And no, six years later he doesn't recall where he found the name during his research. (Maybe FROM uxm.net?)
Well, given that he's been working for Marvel more-or-less continuously for those six years (and had a website where he did that sort of thing even before that) I thought he'd have kept notes.
Mikhail
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Mikhail »

Going back to the original X-Fan Resources page for Harpoon, Moreels calls him Kodiak "Kody" Noatak in April, 2002. The "Kody" nickname isn't seen in uncannyxmen.net. Monolith, who I assume is the same Monolith from uncannyxmen.net, responded to that Resources thread in May, 2002, saying the name only appeared in the Wolverine Encyclopedia.

Weren't there OTHER names given the Marauders in the Wolverine Encyclopedia, like John Riverwind for Scalphunter and Michael Bear for Blockbuster? It's possible the uncannyxmen.net people heard about the first two, then heard about Kodiak Noatak and just assumed that name came from the Wol. Enc. as well. Of course, that does nothing to explain where the name originally came from...
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Weren't there OTHER names given the Marauders in the Wolverine Encyclopedia, like John Riverwind for Scalphunter and Michael Bear for Blockbuster?
No. The only Marauder whose real name was used was Phillippa Sontag, aka Arclight -- and that had already been established in the OHOTMU Update 89.

The Wolverine Encyclopedia didn't give ANY new information. It was all from the comics.

Interesting detective work, guys. Got anything else? (Maybe some more background on where "Michael Bear" and "John Riverwind" came from? I see 'em both on uxm.net, but no notation where the info came from. Also, looks like Riptide is now "Janos Questad", with a similar lack of info as to where the name came from.)

-Jeph
Mikhail
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Mikhail »

What about the Marvel RPG guidebooks? Weren't they another Handbook-like thing released between the Master Edition and the Marvel Encyclopedia? I seem to recall them giving Anne Marie Cortez of the Acolytes "empathic powers" or "enhanced agility" or something, outside of the info in the comics.
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Good thought. Anyone have 'em, to check?

-Jeph!
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Apparently Blockbuster, Arclight, Scrambler and Riptide were named in Dragon Magazine #117.

http://www.marvelrpg.net/mp/dm117mp.pdf

However, looks like Harpoon was NOT named in there. :-(

-Jeph
Mikhail
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by Mikhail »

Riptide was named back in the Deluxe Edition's entry for the deceased Marauders, but not Blockbuster or Prism. Arclight was named in the Update '89 Marauders entry (but left Unrevealed in her individual entry), as was Scrambler.
jannepie
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by jannepie »

Trading cards?