Hulk: Broken Worlds #1

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Post by michaelyuri »

Story #1: Punyville [House of M]
Writer: Fred Van Lente
Art: Clayton Henry

Characters Appearing:
Arclight, Hulk, Mentallo, Betty Ross Talbot, Scorpian, Glenn Talbot, Wild Child

Synopsis:
1-8: Betty and Glenn Talbot arrive as human refugees to Australia, ruled over by the Hulk. The Hulk immediately kidnaps Betty. Talbot, who brought with him a power inhibitor collar, teams up with a few other refugees and sneaks into the Hulk's home. The other refugees are actually mutants in disguise. They attack the Bruce, put the inhibitor collar on him, and then kill Betty. Bruce is so enraged that he becomes the Hulk, overcoming the collar, and defeats the mutants.

Continuity notes:
Happens within the House of M reality.

------------------------------

Story #2: Heart of the Atom
Story: Roy Thomas
Art: Herb Trimpe
Inks: Karl Kesel

Characters Appearing:
Hulk, Jarella (alternate reality)

Synopsis:
1-8: The Hulk and Jarella fight alongside one another, defending K'ai from an invasion. The Hulk suddenly finds himself looking at a statue of Jarella, and realizes that he has been dreaming. Then, he realizes that he's still dreaming, and realizes that he's actually in the desert battling the army. In an alternate universe, Jarella stands by a statue of the Hulk, who had died in battle.

Continuity notes:
This has to come after Jarella's death, at some point when the Savage Hulk is being pursued by the army.

Story #3: Development Hell [2099]
Writer: Paul Benjamin
Art: Diego LaTorre

Characters Appearing:
Hulk (& FB), Kaden Porter, Audra Weissman (& FB)

Synopsis:
1-8: John goes to warn a scientist, Kaden Porter, that his life is in danger. When Lotusland bio-bots show up to capture Porter, John turns into the Hulk and destroys them.

Flashback:
(3:2-3:3) John learns about Kaden Porter.

Continuity notes:
This story could really fit anywhere between 2099 Unlimited #1 & Hulk 2099 #1, but I think it fits best somewhere between 2099 Unlimited #2 & #5. The flashback takes place before John became the Hulk in 2099 Unlimited #1.

Entries:

Hulk/John Eisenhart
2099U 5-FB (7:5-9:1)
*H:BW 1/3-FB (3:2-3:3)
2099U 1/2-FB (41:5-46:1, 53:4-57)
2099U 1/2
2099U 2-FB (3-17)
2099U 2
2099U 3
2099U 4
*H:BW 1/3
2099U 5-FB (2)
2099U 5
2099U 6
. . .

Weissman, Audra
*H:BW 1/3-FB (3:2-3:3)
2099U 1/2
*H:BW 1/3
H2099 1

Story #4: Post Mortem [Future Imperfect]
Writer: Peter David
Pencils: Rodney Buchemi
Inks: Greg Adams

Characters Appearing: Hulk, Janis, Boz, Char, Skooter, Rick Jones (future imperfect),

Synopsis:
1-8: After the disappearance of the Maestro, the rebels plan to establish a new government. The slave girl, Char, returns to her people. One of the tribesmen, Lothar, challenges her father Boz's leadership, but he is killed when Captain America's shield (thrown into the air by the Hulk to spread Rick Jones's ashes) suddenly decapitates him. Char reveals to her father that she thinks she is carrying the Maestro's child.

Continuity notes:
This story continues immediately from the end of Hulk: Future Imperfect #2.

-Mike
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Hulk: Broken Worlds #1

Post by Somebody »

michaelyuri wrote:Hulk: Broken Worlds #1

Story #1: Punyville [House of M]
[...]

Continuity notes:
Happens within the House of M reality.
This happens after the H3 HoM arc (i.e., between H3 86 and 87. There's plenty of time for it to occur since, as I recall, the Hulk arc finished very "early" in the HoM in comparison to most of the other arcs & minis), for the record - remember, HoM Hulk *is* the real Hulk.
michaelyuri wrote:Story #4: Post Mortem [Future Imperfect]
[...]

Continuity notes:
This story continues immediately from the end of Hulk: Future Imperfect #2.
Actually, most of it occurs between pages of H:FI 2 (I'm not sure if *any* of the Hulk material is new - I don't have the issue to hand to check, but the scene where he throws the shield with Rick's ashes is certainly copied from the original).
michaelyuri
Big Bad
Big Bad

Re: Hulk: Broken Worlds #1

Post by michaelyuri »

Somebody wrote:This happens after the H3 HoM arc (i.e., between H3 86 and 87. There's plenty of time for it to occur since, as I recall, the Hulk arc finished very "early" in the HoM in comparison to most of the other arcs & minis), for the record - remember, HoM Hulk *is* the real Hulk.
Thanks for the clarification - I've read almost none of House of M, so I'm not really clear on which parts are "real".
Somebody wrote:Actually, most of it occurs between pages of H:FI 2 (I'm not sure if *any* of the Hulk material is new - I don't have the issue to hand to check, but the scene where he throws the shield with Rick's ashes is certainly copied from the original).
You're right, this story largely overlaps chronologically with the last page of H:FI 2. There is some new Hulk material, though. Here's a more detailed breakdown of H:BW 1/4 & the last page (48, if I counted right) of H:FI 2:

H:FI 2 (48:1) - Char and Boz talking.
H:FI 2 (48:2-48:4) - Skooter looks on as Hulk and Janis talk just before throwing the shield.
H:FI 2 (48:5-48:8) - Hulk throws the Shield.
H:FI 2 (48:9) - Hulk says goodbye to Rick.

H:BW 1/4 (1:1) - Char and Boz, same scene as H:FI 2 (48:1).
H:BW 1/4 (1:2-1:5) - continuation of the scene with Char and Boz.
H:BW 1/4 (2-4) - Hulk and Janis talk, prior to throwing shield.
H:BW 1/4 (5-6) - Char and Boz return to their people. and the conflict with Lothar begins.
H:BW 1/4 (7:1-7:2) - Hulk throws the shield, same scene as H:FI 2 (48:5-48:8)
H:BW 1/4 (7:3-8) - Lothar is decapitated. Char tells Boz that she may be carrying Maestro's child.

And here's how it fits together:

H:FI 2 (48:1)
H:BW 1/4 (1:2-1:5)
H:BW 1/4 (2-4)
H:FI 2 (48:2-48:4) - meanwhile - H:BW 1/4 (5-6)
H:FI 2 (48:5-48:8)
H:FI 2 (48:9) - meanwhile - H:BW 1/4 (7:3-8)
-Mike