Ka-Zar's son's name - where was it revealed?

Discuss chronologies for characters in the main "Marvel Universe"

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Ka-Zar's son's name - where was it revealed?

Post by JephYork »

Apparently the kid's name is Matthew Kyle Adam Plunder. Where was his name first given? And was it given all at once (like Nathan Christopher Charles Summers), or a piece at a time (like Robert Bruce Banner)? ;)

-Jeph
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Ka-Zar's son's name - where was it revealed?

Post by Somebody »

Wasn't babyCable originally "Christopher Charles Summers", and "Nathan" suddenly appeared somewhere around Inferno? Cyclops certainly always called him Christopher...

And I recall that the Savage Land arc in Captain America v3 (somewhere around #30) called him "Matthew", so it was before that, at least. I don't think the Handbook created that one :)
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

AFAIK, baby Nathan's name wasn't said ANYWHERE from his birth in UX #201, up until UX #239, where Mr. Sinister spouted off the entire name. But yes, from that point on, Cyclops really liked calling him "Christopher"...

Thanks for helping narrow down the timeframe of the Matthew name for Ka-Zar's kid, though ... anyone else know any more?

-Jeph!
metaldragon
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by metaldragon »

Cyclops always called him Christopher because Nathan was the name of the bully at the orphanage who tormented Scott (who we find out was actually Mr. Sinister with added memory alteration). Either Cyclops simply refused to call his son Nathan because of that bad association or Madelyn officially added "Nathan" to baby Cable's name when Cyclops joined X-Factor, in the short period before she was attacked by the Marauders. Cyclops only finally gave in and started calling his son "Nathan" after Clairmont took over the writing reigns of his character again. Funny how that happened...
"May the Light shine forever!"
wolframbane
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by wolframbane »

It may be possible the first actual reference to his full name was in the Handbook. Just like with Logan and Gahck's child Erista.

Why couldn't they have name the child IMMEDIATELY after birth, like they did with Franklin Benjamin Richards!!! ;)
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Digressing back to Ka-Zar's son...

I strongly suspect that his full name was given as all three, at one time or another -- "Matthew, Kyle, Adam" -- and the Handbook stuck 'em all together. That said, does anyone know ANY instances of the baby being namechecked on-panel?

-Jeph!
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

West Coast Avengers Annual 3/2 shows Ka-Zar calling him Adam Plunder, so it looks like it was a piece at a time.

No names in FF 316, Uncanny Annual 12, MCP 13/4, Uncanny 250, or Unlimited 1, but something I noticed:

The kid is listed as BTS in XU 1-FB. But he's right there on panel, numbered page 19. So I'll suggest we remove the BTS for him:

PLUNDER, ADAM KYLE MATTHEW
FF 316-BTS
{UX@ 12}
WCA@ 3/2
M/CP 13/4-BTS
UX 250
**XU 1-FB (remove BTS)
KZ '97
KZ4 1

Looking through some more appearances...
-Daron Jensen
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

And in Ka-Zar volume 4 #1(by Waid & Kubert) he's called Matthew. It would make sense that he'd still be called Matthew in Captain America #30 or so, Waid was still writing Cap at that time.

I don't have Ka-Zar Annual '97, but that's really the only option left, it's written by yet someone else.(Brian K. Vaugn) Unless, of course, Priest changed it to Kyle in Ka-Zar v4 16-20, but I doubt it because he's still called Matt in #14/2 & #15.(I don't have 16-20) So we have:

Adam: West Coast Avengers Annual 3/2

Matthew: Ka-Zar volume 4 #1

Kyle: probably Ka-Zar Annual '97, maybe Ka-Zar v4 16-20

Anyone have KZ '97 or KZ4 15-20 to check?
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:And in Ka-Zar volume 4 #1(by Waid & Kubert) he's called Matthew. It would make sense that he'd still be called Matthew in Captain America #30 or so, Waid was still writing Cap at that time.
No, Dan Jurgens had taken over by that point (#28-31, per the GCD)
Selaboc
Henchman
Henchman

Post by Selaboc »

As previously mentioned, his first appearance in West Coast Avengers Annual 3/2 , he is called Adam
And as of the Waid/Kubert run on Ka-zar in the mid-90s he was called Mathew.
I think (going purely on memory here, as I don't have the book handy) it was in the Ka-zar graphic novel that the name Kyle was used.
Arthur
Director
Director

Post by Arthur »

Good memory Selaboc. He is referred to as Kyle in the Kazar Graphic Novel.

and in both K '97 and K4 15-20 he is Matthew
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Somebody wrote:Dan Jurgens
That's what I get for going off my memory.

Thanks Selaboc & Arthur!
-Daron Jensen
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Thanks -- you guys are great!

Now, about Jubilee's last name...

-Jeph!
DonCampbell
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Post by DonCampbell »

Arthur wrote:Good memory Selaboc. He is referred to as Kyle in the Kazar Graphic Novel.
Isn't the Ka-Zar Graphic Novel now considered to be non-canon? If so, then not everything depicted within its pages is necessarily accurate in the "mainstream" MU, and the "Kyle" name could be totally ignored without violating continuity. Maybe it was only in the alternate timeline in which the events of the GN took place that Kevin and Shanna named their son Kyle, while on Earth-616 they named their son Matthew Adam Plunder.

Or maybe the Earth-616 Plunders originally named their son Adam but for some reason they later changed it to Matthew? I mean, it is possible for parents to change their childrens' names, right? Or is that too simple an explanation?

Don Campbell
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

I think I need some more info on this Ka-Zar GN ... are you talking about "Guns of the Savage Land"?

-Jeph!