Wolverine v3 #73, story 1 & #74, story 2

Here's where you report issue analyses of any issue in any universe or timeline.

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

Somebody
Director
Director

Wolverine v3 #73, story 1 & #74, story 2

Post by Somebody »

Not going to bother with the backup, since it (a) is by Daniel Way, (b) ties into Wolverine: Origins, a series I'm not reading and (c) leads into Dark Wolverine, a series I won't be getting; so I wouldn't know where to start, honestly.

The lead, OTOH, has is a Wolverine story by Adam Kubert, so what the hey. It's also cameo city, MU; and Paul B is going to either love it or hate it for what it does to the calendar :)

Wolverine v3 #73, story 1 (published before #72, for the record)
Writer: Jason Aaron
Art: Adam Kubert
"A Mile In My Moccasins, part 1"

(1:1-1:3)
"Sunday Morning"
App: Wolverine, random cop

Wolverine's fallen asleep on a park bench and a cop moves him along. He asks if there's a good place to get eggs around.

(1:4)
"Four eggs and three cups of coffee later..."
App: Wolverine, Juggernaut

Wolverine vs Juggernaut!

(2&3:1)
"Monday"
App: Wolverine, Captain America/Bucky, Ronin/Hawkeye, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman/Drew, Cottonmouth, Black Mamba, Anaconda, (uh... green costume with yellow belly and snake tail)

New Avengers (post-SI) vs. Serpent Society!

(2&3:2)
"Tuesday"
App: Wolverine, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Black Talon, zombies

Wolverine, Punisher & Ghost Rider team up against Black Talon's zombies!

(2&3:3)
"Wednesday"
App: Wolverine, Warpath, Archangel, Domino, Purifiers

X-Force vs Purifiers!

(2&3:4)
"Thursday"
App: Wolverine, Cyclops, Mystique

"I thought I told you to kill that woman."
"I thought I did"

(2&3:5)
"Friday"
App: Wolverine, Spider-Man, HYDRA

Wolverine & Spider-Man team-up against HYDRA!

(2&3:6)
"Saturday"
App: Wolverine, some women

Outside the Golden Grasshopper, the "best little bar in Bangkok", some women wearing very little recognise "Logan"

(4)
"Sunday"
App: Wolverine, Iceman, mugger, victim

Wolverine & Iceman stop a hold-up. Wolverine pulls a Batman on Iceman

[No "Monday"]

(5:1)
"Tuesday"
App: Wolverine, Cyber

Wolverine wants Cyber to tell him where Romulus is

[No "Wednesday"]

(5:2)
"Thursday"
App: Wolverine, Deadpool, MODOKs

Deadpool wonders if it's a team-up as a bunch of big heads surround them.

[No "Friday"]

(5:3)
"Saturday"
App: Wolverine, bearded men

Outside the Golden Grizzly, the "best little bar in Siberia", some bearded men wearing very much recognise "Logan"

(6&7:1)
"Sunday"
App: Wolverine, Thor, ???

Wolverine and Thor have defeated a giant green humanoid with large teeth. Thor calls for "vast quantities of mead"

(6&7:2)
"Monday"
App: Wolverine, Red Hulk

Rulk takes Wolverine's face off, literally

[No "Tuesday"]

(6&7:3)
"Wednesday"
App: Wolverine, Thing, Spider-Man, She-Hulk, someone with yellow gloves, and somone with blue fingerless gloves and gold bracelets.

Wolverine falls asleep in a poker game

[No "Thursday" or "Friday"]

(6&7:4)
App: Wolverine
"Saturday" [ties into Dark Avengers #1]

In a bar somewhere (surprise!), Wolverine hears the Dark Avengers launch being reported live, including "Wolverine", and crushes the full beer glass he's holding. There's a shot on a screen in the bg which is low-detail, but appears to be the DA.

(6&7:5)
App: Wolverine, (git)
"Late Saturday"

Wolverine puts his claws through a Hellfire Club goon (or Hellfire Cultist?)

(6&7:6)
"Sunday"

Wolverine kneels in a Japanese garden, wearing a kimono

(8:1)
App: Wolverine, (gunman)
"Monday"

Wolverine (out of costume) gets shot

(8:2)
App: Wolverine, (swordsman)
"Tuesday"

Wolverine gets stabbed

(8:3)
"Wednesday"

Wolverine gets blown up

(8:4)
App: Wolverine, Absorbing Man?
"Thursday"

Wolverine gets hit with an oversize ball & chain

(8:5)
App: Wolverine, (...hand)
"Friday"

Wolverine gets set on fire

(8:6)
App: Wolverine, (...hands)
"Saturday"

Wolverine, stripped and strapped to a chair, gets electrocuted

(9)
App: Wolverine, Yukio, Ogun?
"Sunday"

Back in Japan, Wolverine picks up a hankerchief and uses it to clean his claws, as some corpses lie smoking - one appears to have the Mask of Ogun on. Yukio notes he seems distracted, and he just says he's tired.

She says bed rest is good for that

(10-11)
App: Wolverine, Yukio
"Monday 3am"

Logan gets up and gets dressed from the bed. Yukio's surprised he's off so soon, and he says he's got lots to do. She replies that, from what she sees in the media, he's always got lots to do these days, and he concurs.

As she's asking him why he's running himself so ragged, saying that there are easier ways to kill himself, and she thinks he's having a nervous breakdown, she looks down for a moment, and when she looks up he's gone. As he drives off on a motorbike, she notes that once she thought it'd be "thrilling" to be him for a day - now she wouldn't do it if he paid her.

Notes:

Outside of the X-Force panel, whenever Wolverine's in costume, he's in his pre-San Francisco yellow X-Men costume the whole story (three yellow slashes on the side, no X on the chest and an X on the belt rather than his X-less Avengers variant - and he appears to be wearing outer-underwear in a few panels, when he shouldn't be). I'm not 100% sure what Cyclops' San Francisco costume looks like from the back and the wrong shoulder is focused on to notice the different shoulder design anyway, but Iceman has a belt, not chest X too.

Wolverine v3 #74, story 2
Writer: Jason Aaron
Art: Adam Kubert
"A Mile In My Moccasins, part 2"

They swapped the order for #74, so the Aaron/Kubert story gets a /2. Most of it's one scene, making it a lot less involved than pt 1.

(1:1)
"Monday"
App: Wolverine, Spider-Man, Captain America/Bucky, Wrecker, Thunderball

New Avengers vs. the Wrecking Crew!

(1:2)
"Tuesday"
App: Spider-Man

Peter Parker watches a news report that includes "--footage from San Francisco that shows Wolverine and Cyclops of the X-Men in action against the--"

(1:3)
"Wednesday"
App: Spider-Man, (reporter), (cameraman), (one other)

In some graffiti-ridden place, Peter Parker - camera in hand - notices a treble-claw-mark on the scene of the massacre of an anti-mutant gag.

(2-11)
"Friday"
App: Wolverine, Spider-Man, "Earl" (barman), (three generic holdupmen), Cyclops-BTS

Spider-Man, in costume, heads into a bar to talk to Wolverine about his deathwish. Wolverine doesn't want to talk and tries to kick him out, claws extended, when three gang members burst in and try to hold up the bar. They last thirty seconds.

That disposed of, Wolverine admits Spider-Man's right. He hasn't want to be alone with his own thoughts since he got his memories back, and meeting Daken hasn't helped. So he keeps going & going and going. Then there's a call from Cyclops to the bar (the barkeeper takes it, we don't hear him), and he heads out.

Notes:
Spider-Man's a cameraman. Since I'm reading nothing with "Spider-Man" in the title, I can't place it, but it doesn't appear to be intended for a specific spot anyway.

Timeframe:
For the record, the first half takes place over 29 and a bit days, with at least one major incident almost every day :). Given the gimmick of the story, I'm presuming the "Monday" with the Spider-Man/Wolverine team-up in part 2 is the same day he leaves Yukio, which adds the better part of one week and means it breaks down as (weeks are Sunday-to-Saturday):

W3 73 (1-3): Week 1
W3 73 (4-5): Week 2
W3 73 (6&7:1-6&7:5): Week 3
W3 73 (6&7:6-8:6): Week 4
W3 73 (9-11) & W3 74/2: Week 5 (Sunday-Friday)
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Re: Wolverine v3 #73, story 1

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Hey, Somebody, thanks for the analysis. If I'd known there'd be this many cameos, I might have picked up this comic. Let's see now...

(uh... green costume with yellow belly and snake tail)
Sounds like Bushmaster, although the belly would be light green, not yellow. Is he a black dude with no legs? The Rattler has a yellow belly and tail, but his costume is brown and he has legs.

someone with yellow gloves, and somone with blue fingerless gloves and gold bracelets.
Are these "someones" male or female? Any other details?
Paul B is going to either love it or hate it for what it does to the calendar
Which do you think it is? What are the odds all these appearances will line up with the chronologies of New Avengers, X-Force, X-Men, etc., etc.? :wink:
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Paul Bourcier wrote:Hey, Somebody, thanks for the analysis. If I'd known there'd be this many cameos, I might have picked up this comic. Let's see now...

(uh... green costume with yellow belly and snake tail)
Sounds like Bushmaster, although the belly would be light green, not yellow. Is he a black dude with no legs? The Rattler has a yellow belly and tail, but his costume is brown and he has legs.

someone with yellow gloves, and somone with blue fingerless gloves and gold bracelets.
Are these "someones" male or female? Any other details?
Black dude, no legs. No other details for the other. Here's the panels to be sure:

Image Image
Paul Bourcier wrote:
Somebody wrote:Paul B is going to either love it or hate it for what it does to the calendar
Which do you think it is? What are the odds all these appearances will line up with the chronologies of New Avengers, X-Force, X-Men, etc., etc.? :wink:
Look on the bright side - it gives you a structure to build around :-P

Anyway, X-Force appears to be a complete mess chronologically in the first place, ja?
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Maybe this is Gambit to the left of She-Hulk ?

And I'm pretty sure the broadcast of the the Dark Avengers' unveiling clashes with the equivalent scene in NEW AVENGERS. One of them's got to be a repeat.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Yup, that's Bushmaster.

Boy, they didn't give us a lot to work with in that second panel. Gambit would be a good guess, but we'd have to see if X-Men: Legacy makes this feasible. Yellow gloves? Most likely Spider-Woman, I'd say. Vision, not as likely.
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

It's not Gambit - for one thing, this is before current events in XL (Gambit won't get to SF until the XL tie-in to the DA/UX crossover. And that panel is before the DA 1 panel), and for another, don't Gambit's gloves only have the index and pinky fingers missing? The gloves in that panel don't have any fingers.

As for the DA 1 tie-in panel...

Yeah, glitch. I initially thought it might have been a reporter *at the scene* of the unveiling, but hours later - but as I look again, it's definitely present-tense (besides, there's the Hellfire-stabby panel marked as later the same day to consider).

And I'm looking at the New Avengers panel again, and there's obviously been some confusion as Spider-Woman is web-slinging. Should we give a BTS/OP to Spider-Man for that panel?
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I think that "Saturday at the bar" panel is going to have to happen later than the actual intro of the Dark Avengers, given the obvious incompatibility with New Avengers #49. What we "hear" in that panel is going to have to be a rebroadcast of the live coverage.
Paul B.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

Yeah, this can't possibly be the first time he's heard it. I guess he just gets really pissed every time he hears it repeated. :)
-Daron Jensen
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Somebody wrote:It's not Gambit - for one thing, this is before current events in XL (Gambit won't get to SF until the XL tie-in to the DA/UX crossover. And that panel is before the DA 1 panel)
Wait, what ? Gambit is missing for whole chunks of LEGACY (#208-210 and #215-218 at least, IIRC). Also, there's no reason for this panel to happen in San Francisco : Spider-Man and the Thing are traditionnally New York-based, after all.
The costume may be slightly different than usual, but I don't see any concrete impossibility. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

JD wrote:
Somebody wrote:It's not Gambit - for one thing, this is before current events in XL (Gambit won't get to SF until the XL tie-in to the DA/UX crossover. And that panel is before the DA 1 panel)
Wait, what ? Gambit is missing for whole chunks of LEGACY (#208-210 and #215-218 at least, IIRC). Also, there's no reason for this panel to happen in San Francisco : Spider-Man and the Thing are traditionnally New York-based, after all.
The costume may be slightly different than usual, but I don't see any concrete impossibility. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Uh, my point was that - after Blood of Apocalypse and Messiah CompleX - Gambit's name is mud. He wouldn't be invited to that sort of thing, especially if Wolverine was going to be there. That may change in upcoming issues of XL, but that's irrelevant for the purposes of this.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

I think we can safely attribute the yellow gloves to Spider-Woman, but maybe, just maybe, they belong to...the Grandmaster! He just couldn't resist a game of poker. :wink:
Paul B.
Paul Bourcier
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by Paul Bourcier »

Somebody wrote:
Outside of the X-Force panel, whenever Wolverine's in costume, he's in his pre-San Francisco yellow X-Men costume the whole story (three yellow slashes on the side, no X on the chest and an X on the belt rather than his X-less Avengers variant - and he appears to be wearing outer-underwear in a few panels, when he shouldn't be). I'm not 100% sure what Cyclops' San Francisco costume looks like from the back and the wrong shoulder is focused on to notice the different shoulder design anyway, but Iceman has a belt, not chest X too.
The costume makes no difference. This story must occur after the X-Men move to San Francisco because, as you noted, it has to occur after Secret Invasion, and Secret Invasion occurs after the move to SF. Given the huge amount of stuff that happens post-SI, this is going to be fun to place in and amongst everything else.
Paul B.
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Wolverine v3 #73, story 1 & #74, story 2

Post by Somebody »

Edited in the second part. It's a lot simpler than part 1.