Coming from Marvel in August

Press releases and upcoming events that might affect the Marvel Universe and its chronologies. Use Spoiler warnings!

Moderators: Col_Fury, michel, Arthur, Somebody, StrayLamb

JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Coming from Marvel in August

Post by JD »

A bit late due to vacation...

Full solicitations at Newsarama, as usual : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090519- ... icits.html
If you prefer Comic Book Resources, here you go : http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=21257
Or you could go directly to the Marvel website : http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?date=2009-08

NEW SERIES

- The Ultimate Universe is relaunched :
* ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #1, by Millar and Pacheco
* ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #1, by Bendis and Lafuente
Let's hope they'll finish ULTIMATUM by then...

- INCREDIBLE HULK #601... no, seriously, this is a new series, by Pak & Olivetti (with a Van Lante/Ryan "All-New Savage She-Hulk" back-up). It seems to focus on Banner and Skaar (who left his own series in #12, apparently). The Loeb book is still ongoing, with issues #13 and #14 this month, even though INCREDIBLE HULK #600 is supposed to be part of that...
My head hurts. How does any of this make sense ?

NEW MINISERIES

- THE MARVELS PROJECT #1 (of 8), by Brubaker and Epting, is yet another "70th anniversary" commemoration, trying to tie the Golden Age into a coherent whole.

- GHOST RIDERS: HEAVEN'S ON FIRE #1 (of 6), by Aaron and Boschi. Wait, isn't this the same creative team as the recently cancelled ongoing ? Is there any reason for a separate miniseries besides raising the price ?

- MODELS, INC. #1 (of 4), by Tobin and Villagrasa, is resolicited. Presumably the delays were due to the involvement of a minor US celebrity I've never heard of as a guest star.

- IRON MAN & THE ARMOR WARS #1 (of 4), by Caramagna and Rousseau. All-ages, so it may be non-canon.

- DOMINIC FORTUNE #1 (of 4), by Chaykin. MAX, so the usual caveats apply.

- PUNISHER NOIR #1 (of 4), by Tieri and Azaceta, and LUKE CAGE NOIR #1 (of 4), by Benson, Glass and Martinbrough, continue this Elsewords brand. How long until POWER PACK: NOIR ?

- HOUSE OF M: MASTERS OF EVIL #1 (of 5), by Gage and Garcia : they're still producing more of those ? Well, at least the latest Marvel Apes one-shot has been cancelled...

- CROSSFIRE #1 (of 3), by Sala and Chan : a Soleil book.

ONESHOTS

- ALL WINNERS COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Kesel and Uy, is set in 1946.
- MYSTIC COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Lapham features... a Golden Age Vision ?

- MARVEL COMICS #1: 70TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION is a deluxe reprint.

- MARVEL SPOTLIGHT: SUMMER EVENTS is a bit of a grap-bag, covering the return of the GA Human Torch (a recently announced Ross/Carey mini), the new FF and Daredevil creative teams, and something called "the REAL clone saga" (in ASM, I presume ?). Since most of these will start in September at best, I question the title "Summer events"...

- MOON KNIGHT SAGA suggests a relaunch of the recently cancelled title : otherwise, I can't imagine why they would bother.

Glorified fill-in watch :
- CAPTAIN AMERICA THEATER OF WAR: TO SOLDIER ON, by Jenkins and Blanco : this series is still going on ?

NOTABLE ISSUES

- War of Kings concludes in WOK #6, WOK:WARRIORS #2, NOVA #28 and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #17.

- Utopia continues in UNCANNY X-MEN #514 and DARK AVENGERS #8, with tie-ins in DARK X-MEN: THE BEGINNING #3 and X-MEN: LEGACY #227.

- MS. MARVEL, DEADPOOL, HULK and INCREDIBLE HERCULES all ship twice this month. So does X-MEN: FOREVER, but it seems to be on a fornightly schedule anyway so far.

- DAREDEVIL reaches #500, with the last Brubaker/Lark issue. Also features stories by Nocenti, Aja and others.

- FANTASTIC FOUR is taken over by Hickman and Eaglesham with #570.

GONE MISSING THIS MONTH :
- CAPTAIN AMERICA
- THOR
- ASTONISHING X-MEN
- CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND MI:13 (officially cancelled with June's issue #15)
- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN FAMILY (Are they already pulling the plug ? Switching back to bimonthly ? Just having a skip month to catch up with their schedule ?)
- ASTONISHING TALES

PRICE WATCH
Follow Marvel's price hikes in real time ! (for MU regular titles only)

- 104 pages for $4.99 : DAREDEVIL #500 (including some reprints)
- 40 pages for $3.99 : INCREDIBLE HULK #601
- 32 pages for $3.99 : ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS #1, ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN, UNCANNY X-MEN #514, DARK AVENGERS #8, NEW AVENGERS #56, HULK #13 & 14, WOLVERINE: WEAPON X #4, X-MEN FOREVER #5 & #6, PUNISHER: FRANK CASTLE #73

IRON MAN & THE ARMOR WARS is yet another rare miniseries at a $2.99 price point.

NOTABLE COLLECTIONS

- Marvel Masterworks : Deathlock v1, Golden Age Sub-Mariner v3, and a TPB version of Incredible Hulk v1
- Essentials : Marvel Team-Up v3

- CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE DEATH OF CAPTAIN AMERICA OMNIBUS HC covers issues #25-42. Wasn't #25 already included in the first omnibus ? Oh, well, whatever.

- X-MEN: MUTANT MASSACRE HC

- HERCULES: FULL CIRCLE PREMIERE HC collects various issues featuring the character by Layton.

- HULK: GRAY PREMIERE HC

- EXILES ULTIMATE COLLECTION BOOK 2 TPB

- HEROES RETURN TPB (it also collects the various Heroes Reborn one-shots)

- MARVEL BROMANCE TPB (!) collects various single issues spotlighting "male bonding".

- SPIDER-MAN/MARY JANE: ...YOU JUST HIT THE JACKPOT TPB collects various issues focusing on Mary Jane Watson

So, what caught up your eye this time ?
Somebody
Director
Director

Re: Coming from Marvel in August

Post by Somebody »

JD wrote:- INCREDIBLE HULK #601... no, seriously, this is a new series, by Pak & Olivetti (with a Van Lante/Ryan "All-New Savage She-Hulk" back-up). It seems to focus on Banner and Skaar (who left his own series in #12, apparently). The Loeb book is still ongoing, with issues #13 and #14 this month, even though INCREDIBLE HULK #600 is supposed to be part of that...
You forgot the capper - IH 600 is meant to be continuing the TTA/v2 numbering. And yet, at best, that adds up to 599 (and to even get to THAT requires you to count Incredible Herc #112 [because they didn't change the indicia title 'till #113]).

It's a pig's ear, and an arbitrary one at that.
JD wrote:- GHOST RIDERS: HEAVEN'S ON FIRE #1 (of 6), by Aaron and Boschi. Wait, isn't this the same creative team as the recently cancelled ongoing ? Is there any reason for a separate miniseries besides raising the price ?
Stunt to try and boost sales since it's the end of Aaron's run anyway, and the book may or may not be relaunched afterward depending on how the mini does. They're trying something similar with Immortal Iron Fist.
JD wrote:- MODELS, INC. #1 (of 4), by Tobin and Villagrasa, is resolicited. Presumably the delays were due to the involvement of a minor US celebrity I've never heard of as a guest star.
And the deletion of Mary Jane Watson...
JD wrote:- MS. MARVEL, DEADPOOL, HULK and INCREDIBLE HERCULES all ship twice this month. So does X-MEN: FOREVER, but it seems to be on a fornightly schedule anyway so far.
Well, Hulk's playing catchup, and iHerc will apparently be putting out six issues in three months starting in August. The latter looks, at first glance, similar to the tail-end of Nicieza's first Thunderbolts run - with even-numbered issues focusing on Herc, and odd-numbered issues on Cho.
Col_Fury
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Col_Fury »

JD wrote:- THE MARVELS PROJECT #1 (of 8), by Brubaker and Epting, is yet another "70th anniversary" commemoration, trying to tie the Golden Age into a coherent whole.
Who's looking forward to this? Me and all the cool kids, that's who.
JD wrote:- DOMINIC FORTUNE #1 (of 4), by Chaykin. MAX, so the usual caveats apply.
I am all over this one. And as long as we're talking about MAX, the Destroyer series has been a blast so far. :)
JD wrote:- ALL WINNERS COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Kesel and Uy, is set in 1946.
- MYSTIC COMICS #1 70TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL, by Lapham features... a Golden Age Vision ?
I've really been enjoying these 70th Anniversary one-shots. And yes, that's the other-dimensional Vision from the 1940s.
JD wrote:- CAPTAIN AMERICA THEATER OF WAR: TO SOLDIER ON, by Jenkins and Blanco : this series is still going on ?
I'm still buying them, at least. And the most recvent one, A Brother in Arms, was pretty darn good.
JD wrote:- DAREDEVIL reaches #500, with the last Brubaker/Lark issue. Also features stories by Nocenti, Aja and others.
Ann Nocenti? Yay!
JD wrote:- FANTASTIC FOUR is taken over by Hickman and Eaglesham with #570.
I've been digging the Millar/Hitch run, but I'm looking forward to this, too.
JD wrote:Golden Age Sub-Mariner v3
AWESOME
Somebody wrote:
JD wrote:- INCREDIBLE HULK #601... no, seriously, this is a new series, by Pak & Olivetti (with a Van Lante/Ryan "All-New Savage She-Hulk" back-up). It seems to focus on Banner and Skaar (who left his own series in #12, apparently). The Loeb book is still ongoing, with issues #13 and #14 this month, even though INCREDIBLE HULK #600 is supposed to be part of that...
You forgot the capper - IH 600 is meant to be continuing the TTA/v2 numbering. And yet, at best, that adds up to 599 (and to even get to THAT requires you to count Incredible Herc #112 [because they didn't change the indicia title 'till #113]).

Eh. If they can publish Wolverine #73 before #72, I can squint a little to make this math work. It all adds up eventually, right? :)
-Daron Jensen
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Col_Fury wrote:
Somebody wrote:

Eh. If they can publish Wolverine #73 before #72, I can squint a little to make this math work. It all adds up eventually, right? :)
Not really, since #601 will be the 600th issue, #602 will be the 601st, etc. It'll always be playing catchup :)

Of course, since it's a nonsense anyway since it includes 52 or so issues that don't even feature Hulk, I suppose it's a dead loss whatever way you cut it. Here's a "how to get to #600" list I posted recently when I was in a snarky mood :)
Me elsewhere wrote:Incredible Hulk v1 #1-6
Avengers v1 #1-3
Fantastic Four v1 #25-26
Avengers v1 #5
Tales to Astonish #59-101
Incredible Hulk v2 #102-474
Hulk v1 #1-11
Incredible Hulk v3 #12-112
World War Hulk Prologue: World Breaker
World War Hulk #1-5
Hulk v2 #1-12
Incredible Hulk v4 #600

6+3+2+1+43+373+11+101+1+5+12+1=559

Hmmm... 41...

Incredible Hulk: Future Imperfect #1-2
Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed #1
Hulk: Destruction #1-4
Hulk/Thing: Hard Knocks #1-4
Giant-Size Hulk #1
Giant-Size Hulk v2 #1
Giant-Size Incredible Hulk #1
King-Size Hulk #1
Monster-Size Hulk #1
Hulk vs. Fin Fang Foom #1
Hulk: Nightmerica #1-6
Hulk Smash #1-2
wolverine/Hulk #1-4
Hulk/Wolverine: Six Hours #1-4
Hulk/Hercules: When Titans Smash #1

2+1+4+4+(5*1)+6+2+4+4+1

Damn... still need 8...

Captain Universe/Hulk #1
World War Hulk Epilogue: Aftersmash #1
Hulk: Grey #1-6

And there we go. 600 issues! :)
JD
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JD »

Somebody wrote:You forgot the capper...
I mentionned it last month, when #600 was solicited :
JD wrote:- INCREDIBLE HULK also reaches #600 (through some very dubious math)
JLH
Chronology Guru
Chronology Guru

Post by JLH »

Somebody wrote:Of course, since it's a nonsense anyway since it includes 52 or so issues that don't even feature Hulk, I suppose it's a dead loss whatever way you cut it. Here's a "how to get to #600" list I posted recently when I was in a snarky mood :)
Where's Incredible Hulk minus 1?
JephYork
Comic Pro
Comic Pro

Post by JephYork »

Oh man, is that the missing puzzle piece? They counted #minus-1 to get to 600?

-Jeph!
Somebody
Director
Director

Post by Somebody »

Well, they didn't count #-1, #0, #½ or #1½ issues for Avengers, F4, ASM, Thor or Daredevil. So that itself would be an error.